Something to beware of.

The Mariner

Adelaide, Australia
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd dismantle my front forks today to fit the spring spacers & new 30w oil. Getting the top cap off was a real mission 'coz they just didn't want to budge.

Even after all the usual tricks and applying some gentle heat to the fork tube, the flats on the caps just rounded off & I ended up having to use a chisel to get them loose.

Just tried the Australian distributor for a couple of replacements, only to be told they are not available as a spare part... they only come as part of the entire fork assembly :'(

Also tried my local Honda dealer in case they are are available as a genuine part that happens to fit, but he just looked at me blankly.

I currently have an enquiry in with OO Racing & they say they might be able to get them so I'm waiting to see if they can pull off a miracle. Otherwise I'll have to have new ones machined.

So, as word of warning to other owners you might like to be aware of this if you plan to fix your forks.

Attachments

• fork_cap.jpg
    fork_cap.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,010
Thanks for the heads up, it's on my to do list but lots of comments about the bolts being really tight so I put it off til I got more tools...hope you find something useable

Sent from my SM-N910C using DO THE TON mobile app

One of mine came off easy, the other one required much leverage (plus swearing and skinned knuckles)!

Have you tried Michael at Skyteam Canberra & NSW (0422 760 306)? He may be able to suggest something.

Crazy

Hi Crazy,

I think mine were made of cheese 'coz they rounded-off as soon as I put decent leverage on them.

Michael was the first guy I called, but he couldn't help & suggested I contact Ikonic in Perth. It doesn't look like OO Racing can help either so I'm going to go to Plan B.

I dunno what Plan B will be just yet... I might see if I can get replacements turned at work or scour the parts manuals for identical OEM parts.

I must have been lucky with a better batch of metal.

Could the mangled part be turned down and a proper hex-head attached?

And don't forget the anti-seize on re-assembly!

Crazy

What bike and are they stock forks? Lots of spares out there and aftermarket bits

Hi Crazy,

Yes, that's a possibility. Turn off the damaged part & tig weld a sleeve back on with a decent hex.

Hi Tim,

They are stock Skyteam ACE forks. The ACE is a Chinese bike based on the Honda CG-ish series so there's a chance there is something available as a spare part or aftermarke. I'm looking at AliExpress right now.

Hi Mariner,

i searched at aliexpress, but i did not found anything for my skyteam ace. What else can i use as a search word?

THX in advance

Kev

You having fun with that chinese iron-lead crap boizz? some chinese steel is so cheap and so bad you cant even tig it..

Hi Kev,

My search of AliExpress didn't show anything for the ACE so I looked for baby Honda's as well. The 125cb, cg, cub... that sort of thing.

Nada, nothing, bupkiss, zero, zilch.

It's starting to look like I'll have to make them... especially if what datadavid says is true & welding mightn't work either.

Look at the bright side... if I get some made I can get them with the extra 25mm preload spacer built in & I'll get more made than just I need. Then I can become the worldwide source of replacement ACE fork caps, give up my day job & wait for the $'s to start rolling in :D

9b0cd85a8348ad186bba01fa28a457d8.jpg

Absolutely no way in hell I'm getting mine off without fubarring it...if you go into production I'll take a set, bouncy bouncy on the front til then

Back
Top Bottom