1979 Yamaha XS 750 Budget Build

clearwater68

This site was awesome for me when I first started to dream of building a bike. Lots of really helpful info and projects to get ideas from. I slowly pieced this bike together over a year and it is now starting to look better then I imagined.

Besides dirt bikes, I had never ridden a motorcycle in my life. This was really my first motorized project and certainly wont be the last!

This bike was a literal barn find on craigslist. It was completely covered in junk but the tank shape was perfect. Bike was $350 not running and I have maybe put another $400 into it. Half of that was on the seat. I made do with most parts and modified some stock parts when I could. The headers have a little rust but it adds to the character.

Pretty cool to drive around town on what I once thought was only a dream.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 10.22.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 10.22.31 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 414
Always good to have another Yamaha triple to see. More photos and some description of what you have done would be good. Looks like it was a "Special" except for the front end?

Cheers mate!I have a XS 750 project too on my desk....let us know what you have done to it!

That seat looks quite comfortable :D?!

Looking good! If I were you, I'd probably swap out the carbs for something a bit spicier and get a different exhaust, because the sound of the triple just has to be unleashed...

But definitely loving the JP-special livery!

Some of the mods done...

-Dropped the front end
-Trimmed the headlight brackets to lower the headlight 1.5 inches or so
-Clip ons
-lowered the speedo
-all new blinkers and brake light.
-Hoop welded on
-electronics tray tucked tight under the seat (had to cut a wheel well to get rear clearance) Had the rectifier inside but I bolted it outside to keep things cool
-Tiny battery, similar in size to those anti gravity batteries, but a cheap lead acid $16 one. So far it has held up for 4 months with no sign of damage... fingers crossed. Kick only
-Emgo pods.... I did a lot of reading on this since there is so much debate. All I did was move the needle one notch to get a little more gas in the mixture... Bike starts first or second kick and runs perfect, if anything it feels better then before. More power I think. Sparks look fine as well.

-Thinking of possibly chopping the front fender shorter and painting it black.
-Also a new exhaust, however this will most likely call for new jets... something I have had trouble finding. I like the looks of wraps on the pipes, but I don't want the color to fade. Anybody know about this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.41.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.41.49 PM.png
    905.5 KB · Views: 392
Forgot to mention the seat from Dime City Cycles. It was the perfect length. I wish it was a half inch wider to fit the frame better, but overall it is great. For how thin it is it is comfortable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.47.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.47.48 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 347
I like it just the way it is! :)
The front guard blends in nicely and I prefer to keep the engine clean with a full guard.
A set of braided brake lines make a big improvement to the brakes.
Those pipes look low and cool - I would just open up (or cut out) the baffles and then rechrome. Jets are easily available from Australia, but you must be able to get them in the US? www.mikunioz.com/
I looked up the "F" model yesterday and yours is stock standard, the tank looks to be in amazing original condition. It has all the good mods to gearbox, carbies, cams and head. Bloody good buy at $350. ;D

How did you lower the front end? Just side it down on the fork tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Hmm I think I've seen this done. You either get the complication of integrating new forks or cutting down the springs/:

I guess he cut down the fork springs.
I don't think so.
If you look at the photos, the forks are sticking through the triple tree by about 40mm, which would lower the front of the bike.

XS750AU said:
I don't think so.
If you look at the photos, the forks are sticking through the triple tree by about 40mm, which would lower the front of the bike.
So he just lowered the forks through the triple tree?

Back
Top Bottom