www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550  (Read 3837 times)

Offline doctorcat

Re: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2018, 21:24:39 »
I feel like you might already know this, but if there isn't a conversion bearing option you might be able to go the route of pressing the gpz steering stem in zx10r lower triple tree. My kz750r1 is using a zx9r upper and lower yokes with a kz steering stem. If the zx10r steering stem is smaller than the gpz stem, you're in business. Vice versa with those dimensions would make things a little trickier.

I might just call up allballs and give them the dimensions. The other option is just keeping them for another project that may be coming down in the works. The forks are now entirely rebuilt, and I'm about to embark on sealing the air assist off as I fitted progressive springs and no longer need them. I'm just going to thread the hole and epoxy a screw into place.

so here's an update...

the car fired
I had the plugs out and it sparked!
so the starter works, the wiring works, and I just need to clean everything up now. This is SO EXCITING MY BIKE WILL BE READY FOR SPRING!

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2018, 21:25:55 »

another quick video of some recent build stuff...
I've got tons of photos and only a few videos of build stuff day by day. I tend to work in bursts when I feel creative or angry and frustrated with something else in life.

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2018, 16:17:10 »
It started!

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:35:44 »
Lots of work this week since I'm on vacation. Let's start with where we are so far:

Rear frame was repaired after bad chop job and hooped with the metal hoop kit from DCC and welding from Interstellar motor's Rich Odlum (on his new TIG machine)
seat pan fabbed out of steel
tank cleaning effort failed, too many holes in the factory one and I hated the look. Swapped for an 81 KZ550/GPZ550 tank. Eventually wouldn't mind getting the zx550 tank with the fuel gauge It fits great, but it's shorter so the seat itself needs to be extended

Suspension:
Replaced rear shock with YSS custom sprung unit
Tore down front forks, drilled damper rods and installed adjustable cartridge from YSS set to 7 turns on both sides
Air assist delete: 2 grub screws, tap and thread the holes, and use marine JB WELD around the sides of the screws to seal it up good
Progressive front spring kit, new fluid and seals

Electronics:
harness from scratch using M Unit as the base. It was totally overwhelming so I started with the ACC circuit, and then did the ignition circuit separately and it was much easier. Now I'm struggling through wiring up a gauge cluster.

It fires up and runs now, I rode it around the parking lot. Good time!

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018, 11:37:36 by doctorcat »

Offline Sam_I_Am

• Your Insurance Broker - WA & ID
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 04:33:23 »
This is looking great man!

What gaiters did you use? Put the wrong size on there and can't seem to find the right ones.

Painting the wheels looks good - I need to get that done!
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 19:30:52 »
did a video blog update for this most recent buildup plus a sort of explanation of everything done so far...

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 12:05:19 »
UPDATE:
been up to a LOT lately. My better half is out of town helping her mom move up here so I've been left to my own devices. I'm also working night shifts so when I can't sleep from swapping back to the occasional day shift in the emergency room, I just go to the shop and bang out some wiring work.

Step 1: the M unit's M-LOCK key stopped working. No explanation from me as to why. It just suddenly stopped working. The master key still works and the LED lights up but no dice on anything else. i tried taking apart the broken slave key and re connecting the wires to the RFID chip but also no dice. The RFID chip inside is dead. :( I did make a custom aluminum key fob to transplant the guys into but to no avail. oh well.

The wiring was a bit of a mess before on the "wiring platter" I've created to house it (no room for a tucked frame box because of the monoshock linkage)
the wiring for the ignition wasn't done here, so imagine two more looms of wiring.

Here is what I came up with. Notice I've hidden wires for the M unit a little bit better, and I'm not running them underneath exposed to weather (this bike needs to be sort of reliable as it's my only motorcycle other than my 50cc scooter)

The main problem was that the ignition coils wiring was really bulks and in the way and awkward. Where the hell was I gonna put it so the wires were clean and not seen. It was about then after staring at it that it hit me after seeing guys on here doing this:

RUN THE WIRES IN THE FRAME. DONE. Managed to fish the wires through a tiny hole and install a nice skinny grommet. Everything is so much cleaner and the coil wires snake up easily into the seat pan without taking up one of the sides.

You'll notice above I'm using POSI TAP and POSI LOCK connectors. If you don't have these GET SOME. I swear they are amazing I first used them on my triumph tiger from a kit by EASTERNBEAVER for adding heated grips and they meet all the important mechanical standards. No solder but strong as hell and reversible if you need to do service and the wires need to come apart.

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 12:07:59 »
So my next question: BROKEN M LOCK

I just need a new fob but I can't get ahold of revival cycles. I'm considering switching to a low tech key ignition. Anyone know a good one? Dime city cycles? It has to play nice with hte M UNIT. I also don't know how to wire up an M Unit

can anyone help with a diagram or something for me? I'm really considering ditching the M-LOCK as cool as it is...

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2018, 19:06:13 »
okay...new video of what I've been up to:

1. I built a new battery box I had to work around the fact that the tire was going to hit the seat pan if I wanted to use the full travel of my fancy shock (I'm tracking this thing, so yes I want to use the full travel)

2. The gauges are too big:
as much as I love the fancy big gauges, I think they're too large and detract from the bike. They also run their wiring right into the darn headlight. Stupid wires! Only so many places I can hide them! Wiring is an art and I'm way too type A to leave them mucking about!
What gauges do y'all run?
Thinking of running another ACEWELL

Or some white gauges from DCC, except their speedometers are all KPH and their tachometers are all cable driven not electronic.

3. the gosh darn mother flipping seat pan:
you can see now that the battery and electronics box takes up space where I want to be sitting. How can I cleverly craft a seat pan that COVERS the battery box without crushing it. I'm going to have to have it rest on the seat rails somehow, and then click into place because things that click into place make me happy. Anyone got any ideas? HALP ME VINTAGE BIKE PEOPLE?

This bike was way more of a mess than i expected, but I'm happy with the direction it's going.

did I mention I tuned up the carbs? She runs beautifully now! I just want to RIDE!