3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

I say powder it. Bronze.
The shiny aluminum just doesn't do it for me, seems out of place.

Yes the powder will get scratched and chipped, but if it's truly a dual sport who cares? Par for the course!

Another vote for bronze. I was talking to my neighbour the other day who was pulling up in his freshly minted Audi - he'd just dropped a few hundred bucks on clear vinyl wrapping his hood. After a year or so or getting hammered by stone chips etc you just peel off the vinyl that's taken a few for the team and replace it - the paint underneath is undamaged.

Wonder of you could powder the plate, and then wrap it. The wrap'll get the crap kicked out of it but it'll protect the paint - replace the vinyl as/when needed.

That stuff is great on new paint/powder. FIL had it done on a Passat and it protected the hood great. Can't see why not on a bash plate.

Agh you guys are killing me... I've got to pull the carb and manifold sometime this weekend to replace the manifold to head seals and dig around the pilot / air mix screw circuit to figure out why the mix screw is ineffective. I went to a 48 pilot and still no adjustment... Stock is a 45, most Stage 1 / 2 setups only need a 46 pilot. I thought I had all circuits clean when I did the rebuild. (This was a symptom the bike exhibited before I tore it down and is what prompted me to rebuild the carb.)

But I'll probably pull the skid plate and powder it while I'm wrenching on it.

Okay, So I powdered up the skid plate in bronze. I got out and rode about 100 miles today on it... it's running pretty okay, I still have some carb tweaking to do... it's running pretty okay, I am running a CVP needle / emulsion tube and Main jet... as a system I don't know that everything together is really spot on. I'm going to go back to the stock needle, emulsion tube and a 185 or 180 main jet and see where I am... I think I made too many changes at once to know what's up. It pulls really hard now when i get into mid throttle and get the RPM up... it's a little flat transitioning from pilot to main though. But even then it was still a pleasure to ride today for a decent ride.

Here are some better pictures of it that I grabbed last week. The skid plate is still raw aluminum, and I've since flipped the mirrors to the bottom side of the bars for visibility as the wide bars it's difficult to see behind me past my arms and shoulders. I've gotten really good feedback from everyone that has seen it in person, very pleased.

Really great looking sportster man, beautifully done. The bronze elements are pure class. Every time I see a decent looking sporty I'm bummed I sold mine!

Just a drop-in to show that I've not actually stopped improving this bike. This weekend I added a Dart flyscreen and color matched it to the bike and added a decal number to it "05" since it's an '05 sporty. I've got a performance tuned carb on the way and a Daytona TC88A ignition module... those should wake it up a little more, I should be able to get those on after next weekend and if I decide to go ahead with that Hammer 1275 kit after all. I'll be all set and will just need jugs, pistons and head work.

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but I finally managed to get out and get some updated pics of how the bike sits now.

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

killerx said:
I like it!
Any idea what the weight is?
It looks like it should be fun.

No idea what the current weight is. The stock 1200 custom weighed 562 pounds... I shed a good amount of weight off it though. But it’s probably at least into the lower 500s now. The wheels and exhaust alone are a pretty big weight savings... there’s a bit more shaved off here and there. It’s really fun to ride though. It feels pretty nimble now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom