3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Thanks for the compliments guys. I did a little more decal work on it tonight... I think this looks a little more bad ass and rugged. I've not decided if I need a stripe on the front fender.

Loving it man.

My only thought is can the headlight move up an inch or so? It's below the line of the bottom and the tank and it draws my eye. I moved it up an inch or so in photoshop just to see if I liked it. I'ts attached.

That thing looks like a blast!

40363523040_f00a7a7125_b.jpg

Attachments

• raised headlight.jpg
    raised headlight.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 319
Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

SONIC. said:
Loving it man.

My only thought is can the headlight move up an inch or so? It's below the line of the bottom and the tank and it draws my eye. I moved it up an inch or so in photoshop just to see if I liked it. I'ts attached.

That thing looks like a blast!

40363523040_f00a7a7125_b.jpg

Good eye!!! It is something I am addressing as it bugs my eye too. I actually have another headlight mount fabricated to do just that I just haven’t powder coated it yet.

When I modify the kick stand I plan to powder it and install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DogNate said:
Good eye!!! It is something I am addressing as it bugs my eye too. I actually have another headlight mount fabricated to do just that I just haven’t powder coated it yet.

When I modify the kick stand I plan to powder it and install it.

My man!
That's what I'm talking about.
Gonna be a badass bike man!

I went ahead and made up some stripes for the front fender and installed them... I think I approve... I also wrapped the exposed bit of fork tube between the triple trees with the same matte black vinyl... I like that. I took the day off from work today to get some real progress made on this thing today, I have already marked a couple of things off the punch list... we'll see if I can get a few more items marked off and maybe toss some gas in this thing today.

So I got my punch list all done and put a bit of gas in the tank and sure as shit it fired right up. (the smoke is the new exhaust heating up the first time.)
https://youtu.be/vKkn6pqoniU

I gave it a ride down to the gas station and topped off the tank.... MAN the new cams/intake/carb kit/exhaust really woke this girl up... the carb even performs good with the recommended starting point of 1-1/4 turns out on the mix screw... I'll get around a little on it tomorrow but I'm really pleased with the riding position and handling.

Here's a pic of it outside the garage.

Don't forget here's what I started with

Looks fantastic man. the burnt orange compliments the bronze really well

CrabsAndCylinders said:
It must be lighter than originally, do you have an idea of how much? By the way, I still love this bike.

Yeah the wheel swap alone was a huge weight savings I bet I shed near 50 lbs or more between that and the screaming eagle exhaust those things weighed so much compared to the replacements. The new tank, tail and bar/cluster, seat all weigh considerably less too... I’d guess I shed 60# total...

Gonna ride it out to get a haircut in a bit and try to get some good pics.

JustinLonghorn said:
I really do enjoy this scoot, man!

Thanks.. it's not quite 100% done yet... I really want to add a skid plate, front fender extension and a set of SW Motech SLC carriers, a left side bag, and a pair of Dry-Spec tubes on the right side for a fuel bottle and tool-kit (or two fuel bottles). the Sportster carriers are out of stock, I've got an email in to Twisted Throttle to get a lead time on refreshed stock. This bike will be a legit dual sport bike with some ability to carry some cargo and stuff.

Need to do a little carb tuning, I'm running a 46 pilot jet and I'm getting no adjustment on the mix screw. It runs well enough as is, but I'd rather bump it to a 48 pilot and get some adjust-ability in there. I have new pilots on the way...

(I'm also always flipping back-and-forth on do I spend bike funds on the sporty or the Road Glide)

I knocked out quick skid plate out of some aluminum diamond plate after work today. I may or may not powder it... not decided.

canyoncarver said:
My .02. Do the powder, same color as the heads.

The heads are black with edge cut fins....

Do you mean Charcoal like the the rocker boxes? or Bronze like the Rocker Box covers? (The rocker box is separate from the head on an Evo motor.)

My vote is for bronze.

Matching the heads would look good but I wonder about the plate getting hit with a lot of rocks and other crap that could scratch it up.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Matching the heads would look good but I wonder about the plate getting hit with a lot of rocks and other crap that could scratch it up.

That's my thinking for not doing the powder right away... most skid plates are raw aluminum. A few are available in black powder but most are raw.

3DogNate said:
The heads are black with edge cut fins....

Do you mean Charcoal like the the rocker boxes? or Bronze like the Rocker Box covers? (The rocker box is separate from the head on an Evo motor.)

Sorry, yes I meant the same color as the rocker box covers. The rocker box covers are separate on pretty much all HD's.

Back
Top Bottom