CJ360 Build (my first)

Okay, not a ton of progress to report ...but I've been busy.

Finally got all my "black" parts off to the powdercoater and finished polishing the last of the aluminum bits so they're ready for Cerakote when I pick up the first batch. The beauty of doing the black bits first is that I can then Cerakote the fork legs (over the black powder coat) and they will be virtually chip-proof. :)

I should have snapped some before / after, but I ground off the extra mounting point on the left fork leg and filed down the casting seam on both legs then sanded them flush & smooth ...when they get back from powder they should look factory clean. :)

As for the aluminum, since we all like photos, here is the batch, ready for coating. ...man, that little points cover was a real mother!!! lol

i-R6b75Cp-X3.jpg

Well, things have been progressing slowly, but surely (low on funds). lol

My parts are still out for powder coating, but I've been working on cleaning up the frame, and designing an aluminum bracket to hold the Cognito-Moto GPS speedometer and some indicator lights (L & R turn + high-beam). Cognito supplies a mounting ring, so I just had to draw something up to mate it to the OE triple clamp. ...the little Honda wing won't be part of the NC program (way too small), instead, I've ordered a factory Honda wing badge that is perfect, so I will machine in a small recess for it. ...I remembered my VFR1200 had that logo emblem and found it on Partzilla for $2.95; that should help keep things looking "factory". :)

This is what I've got, though I'll wait until I get the indicator lights to finalize those 3 holes then I'll prototype it on the 3D printer. If all fits as it should, I'll have on machined from billet then have it powder-coated with the next batch.

i-nmX9qZL-XL.jpg

i-NLdPk9V-XL.jpg

i-knD7JWX-XL.jpg

Here's the VFR clamp so you can see what that badge will look like.

honda-vfr1200f-2013-13.jpg

Also managed to get all my transmission bits our for ISF finishing today, so I'll hopefully get those back in a week or so.

Pulled the part of the 3D printer today and test fit everything; looks like it will get the job done. ...next step for this portion is to get the part quoted for CNC and black anodizing. I think it will look sharp when it's all done (I'll probably make sure the turn signal indicators are straight when I do final assembly though). ;)

i-L7PmkbL-X3.jpg

I'm cheap and just cut up a piece of alluminium angle, can't find picture at present ;D
Didn't turn out exactly as I wanted but I needed something quick to get bike finished. I'll probably re-do it eventually.
I used handlebar mount holes for indicator LED's
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.350
Post 361

ZenMoto said:
Pulled the part of the 3D printer today and test fit everything; looks like it will get the job done. ...next step for this portion is to get the part quoted for CNC and black anodizing. I think it will look sharp when it's all done (I'll probably make sure the turn signal indicators are straight when I do final assembly though). ;)

i-L7PmkbL-X3.jpg

Nice, I 3D printed a mounting bracket for the TrailTech on the XL. I planned to do it in aluminum eventually but I printed it high fill and I'm running it as is. The TrailTech is also really light.

Well, it's been a long time since I've checked in, but that doesn't mean I haven't done anything.

Finally got some bits back from powder; the hubs I got a while ago, then sent wheels out for lacing. Before doing that I needed to clean up the original spokes, as I planned to reuse them.

They turned out pretty good, but it was a fair amount of work ...totally worth it.

I went from this pile of rust and corrosion...

i-K8vmVmW-XL.jpg

i-jfzmZp7-XL.jpg

to this shiny mass of polished beauty.

i-wwPnHKn-XL.jpg

i-9V6wGSG-XL.jpg

The wheels came out beautifully, though my wheel guy had to adjust the nipple angle to make the stock spokes work with the rims I'd purchased. ...I'm still working on mounting the rear tire, as you can see.

i-p5LQj8j-XL.jpg

i-qfDs9zH-XL.jpg

I also got my polished engine cases back from ceramic coating ...they lost a bit of luster, but I won't have to touch them up every week, so also ...worth it.

i-BDhMqVk-XL.jpg

Lastly, just today, I got the call from my powder coating guy that my engine cases were done. They liked how they turned out so much they snapped their own photos for their instagram page. ...I'm really looking forward to getting it back together.

i-VsWgS9x-XL.jpg

i-JwFjvkc-XL.jpg

Still so much to do, but it finally feels like I'm making some headway.

The polished covers are beautiful, and i love the gold engine !

Gets me thinking, is there a gold coloured VHT paint available??

Steve

That 'gold' looks almost identical to the colour the original Honda paint turns mafter it gets hot, oiled and old. 8)
Kinda like an artificially aged picture of someone who 'went missing' then turned up 30+ yrs later. I like it, not too overdone ;)

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it.

And you nailed it PJ, it's the exact color I was going for. When I tore the engine down and saw that gold color inside the upper crankcase, I knew that was what I wanted for the entire engine. :)

I guess it's a custom colour then? Sounds expensive but with all the work your doing, probably just another drop in the ocean ;) 8) I really do like it though. you may start a new trend for 360's / Honda's ;D

It's not really a custom color, I had selected something very close from Prismatic Powder's online resource gallery, then took that to my powder coater ...that paint was glossy though and would need a follow up application of a matte clear coat, which is hard with the fins (to get even coverage), so they hit up Prismatic for some similar paint chips. Looking at those in the sun, it was easy to pick this one ...a nice low-gloss finish in the perfect color. So not "custom" just time consuming. I'm in no hurry on this build, I just want it right.

Man, can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.

That engine is great looking, some day, I may get into my CB350.

Really good job.

Thanks guys ...I'm really pleased with how it's coming along ...albeit slowly. :)

Here's a question for the hive mind. ...anyone know where these go? lol They were in a bag marked (by me) "Rear Brake Cover" meaning the drum cover for the rear wheel. ...but I'm puzzled as to where I actually got them.

i-dxtSZNX-X2.jpg

Obviously they came off the bike ...at the rear brake. Looking through the service manual and the online parts catalog I don't see anything like them, and don't see a place they obviously fit.

OTOH, we finally had a hot day, so I was able to get this tire soft enough to mount without damaging my new aluminum rims. :)

i-FWbCNtS-X2.jpg

They probably need straightening out? Here's pic of where one probably fits. Larger hole will be shim under operating cam. I took too quick a glance, they are D shaped for a drum front brake, similar positions for TLS

Attachments

• DSCN7440.JPG
    DSCN7440.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 216
Back
Top Bottom