www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB250 RS - Project "Phoenix"  (Read 6315 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: CB250 RS - Project "Phoenix"
« Reply #50 on: Apr 15, 2018, 11:18:10 »
Good point. I was assuming that you could pull the spring and get a replacement, but if no one offers them because the whole set up is a PIA, then it's time for plan B.  I forgot that you wanted the legs silver.  May as well buy a set that's a better match. Agreed.

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #51 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:39:24 »
Good point. I was assuming that you could pull the spring and get a replacement, but if no one offers them because the whole set up is a PIA, then it's time for plan B.  I forgot that you wanted the legs silver.  May as well buy a set that's a better match. Agreed.

Managed to win some Monster 695 forks on eBay yesterday. 103.50 including postage. If the condition is as good as it looks, they're a bargain. Time will tell. I'll get a custom axle machined up on a lathe, since the stock Ducati axle is about 30 alone and will be too long anyway.

Unfortunately for the next month or so actual work on the bike will slow right down since I have exams coming up.  >:(

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2018, 10:24:19 »
So I've not had an awful amount of time to work on the bike due to it being exam period at University.
Thankfully, however, that doesn't mean there's been no progress.

The bike has been over at my friends garage the past couple of weeks and I've finally got it back. Since it was a no rush job I've just let him have it for as long as necessary so he can work on it between other customer projects as he's just starting out in his own business.

We cut out the top rails of the frame and welded new ones in place, to give the bike a perfectly clean line from front to back. He's also repaired some damage to the tank which was causing it to sit off centre, add a battery tray and some tabs for a custom splashguard that I'm going to have laser engraved. there was a small bit of corrosion on the bottom cross-section of the frame so he's cut that out and welded a new piece in, as well as adding a lock stop for my bottom yoke, meaning I can no longer hit the tank!

So here's the bike as it sits, it looks much cleaner but definitely still needs some longer shocks:

Then this panel forms the top section of the splashguard and doubles up as a battery tray. It'll house a tiny AntiGravity 4-Cell Lithium battery:

While the bike was away, I've been collecting some parts for it. I now have a sidestand, rearsets and Ducati front axle, as well as the Monster 695 forks which have now arrived. I'm yet to mount the forks up and see if the axle needs any adjustment, but that may be tonight's job. The forks need a good clean up and a bit of fettling, they look much better in photos than they do in person.

As an added bonus, a friend of mine messaged me recently to tell me he has a perfectly standard, road worthy 250RS in his garage, and lent me it for a few days to play about on, since I've never actually ridden mine. Goes well but there's room for improvement, but handling wise it was great. Unfortunately the photo is terrible as my phone needs to go in for a camera repair.

I've got one more exam to get out of the way and then I can finally dedicate some more time back to the bike!

Offline Pete12

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2018, 12:07:07 »
Looking good Paddy. That's a nice clean line between the tank and the seat.
You live in England, Hagon shocks will be the go for you...

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2018, 16:22:27 »
Looking good Paddy. That's a nice clean line between the tank and the seat.
You live in England, Hagon shocks will be the go for you...

Thanks Pete, yeah I really like the line now, will look much better when I eventually make a tail unit though as at the moment it looks a little front heavy! Hagon's will definitely be considered but I may go for some adjustable length versions.

Last night I took a study break and decided to test mount the new front end and my rearsets.

The forks, as planned, dropped straight into the yokes and mounted up perfectly. Love the look of the silver front end.

No such luck with the rearsets, however. Good news and bad.

I went to mount them up to the passenger footpeg mounts, and unfortunately didn't have a cap bolt to fit the rearsets and the captive, recessed nut inside the hangers. The captive nuts are welded in so I decided I'd just drill them out and use the nut and bolt that came with the rearsets, because I'm just too impatient to wait until monday and get a decent bolt. Big mistake. 

Turns out, the hangers sit very close to the swingarm. THAT close:

That'll be a new set of hangers getting ordered on eBay! Oops. I could helicoil it but I don't really like using them when I could just get a new set of hangers for 20. The good news however, is using the passenger mounts is a perfect position for me as I guessed!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 16:29:24 by paddyshepherd »

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #55 on: Jun 01, 2018, 08:29:51 »
No real updates as of late. I've been taking a bit of time off from things after my exams were over
I missed out on the footpegs on ebay so now considering either re-tapping or helicoiling the footpegs I already have. I'm planning on smoothing them out where the mounts for the front footpegs are as well to clean up the look a little.

I've spent the little free time I've had this week learning to draw on my laptop, sketching some options for rear bodywork. I'll get some pics uploaded later. I'd love to run an underseat exhaust but I think it'll prove messy when maintaining the twin shock. Would probably work much better with a single shock and alloy swingarm, but not sure I want to go that route with this bike.

Also been weighing up my performance options after finding a good deal on a Keihin CR33 carb which may do the job nicely!

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #56 on: Jun 02, 2018, 14:57:40 »
These are really rough drawings as I'm absolutely terrible at sketching.
I'm thinking a really dark purple or navy blue with a metallic or pearl finish. Something that looks good in low light but then really pops in the sunlight. I've not yet learnt to replicate even the slightest glossy finish with a sketch right now so ignore the colours. It's more just to get the bodyline right. It's a lot different to I originally envisaged so I'm interested to hear people's thoughts. Obviously bear in mind I'm gonna have the longer shocks to lift the bodywork away from the tyre.

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
« Reply #57 on: Jun 02, 2018, 20:58:28 »
You might want the tail a touch longer to keep the plod and MR MOT happy.
I was born a rocker.  I'll die a rocker.  And I'm proud of it.

Offline datadavid

« Reply #58 on: Jun 03, 2018, 04:30:32 »
Who cares about them boring old peoples? It needs to be a badass coiffure racer!

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #59 on: Jun 03, 2018, 06:27:48 »

At the moment, I'm considering mounting the numberplate off the swingarm so that it sits behind the tyre, such that it doesn't effect the bodywork and can easily be removed for shows. From what I've read online, that should be sufficient to count as a splash guard. It also appears that in the motorcycle MOT rules for may 2018 onwards, there's no mention of mudguards or splash guards, which would indicate it's now just a construction and use thing. The regs don't specify an exact amount of tyre to be covered, it just says "as far as reasonably practicable" in my eyes mounting the plate behind the tyre should show that I've tried to subdue water spray.