www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB250 RS - Project "Phoenix"  (Read 5470 times)

Offline paddyshepherd

Re: CB250 RS - Project "Phoenix"
« Reply #60 on: Jun 13, 2018, 16:02:07 »
So over the weekend I've been doing a couple of little bits. I've not been able to do a massive amount as I've been waiting for a new bank card arriving so I can actually start ordering stuff again. I managed to pick up some bearings for the front wheel locally to fit the ducati axle, I still need to make a spacer so they'll have to come back out, but at least it means I can move the bike without the wheel wobbling all over and damaging stuff. I want to raise the back end approx 50mm, but as the ducati front end is slightly lower already I needed to make sure I wasn't going to make the handling too twitchy. The paddock stand I use is slightly higher than the amount I want to raise it by, so it sufficed for this exercise. I also jacked the front slightly on a block of wood to simulate the taller tyre (it's currently got a tiny slick on it). Using a length of wood through the centre of the headstock and clamped in place, I drew a line up through the axle with a spirit level. Measuring off I should have approx. 3.5" of trail. Should be about right but I may fit a steering damper as an extra measure. Believe it or not, it actually had one fitted when I picked the bike up.

I then turned my attention to the Aprilia top yoke. It had an ignition barrel mount on it which needed removing, and the casting marks on it were horrendous.
After an hour or so with the grinder and dremel, it now looks like the pic below. I still need to do some work to neaten up the left overs of the ignition barrel, but unfortunately I'll not be able to get rid of the inner metal entirely as I originally intended, since there are two threaded bosses behind it, which I'd like to keep in case I use them to mount the speedo off.

I've now got myself a brake caliper on order, and I've been making enquiries to Hagon shocks today. I wanted to custom spec some of their Nitro range, but they fear the spring may be too large in diameter and foul my rear sprocket, since their regular 250RS kit uses a slimline spring, which won't fit the Nitro body. I'm awaiting some dimensions from them so I can do a mock up.

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #61 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:41:23 »
I've been rather slow to update this as nothing much has been done lately - I've been on a mission with another bike for my dad.

My Ducati Brembo brake caliper did however turn up and mounted up nicely. It fits perfectly and I actually need to take material off my existing disc brake adapter to get the alignment right, rather than make an adapter to space the caliper. Bonus!

I am however slightly concerned that the back wheel may never touch the floor under braking...

I do however think something will have to be done about the gold.

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #62 on: Jun 25, 2018, 13:01:53 »
I rarely ever touch a back brake.  who needs em...lol
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #63 on: Jul 09, 2018, 16:13:09 »
So I've not done an awful lot. I've been helping my dad with his Honda Blackbird that I bought back for him after he's forever regretted selling 8 years ago.

I've been making enquiries with Hagon Shocks to get a custom order sorted for the rear. I now just need to decide on length.

So the standard length is 325mm - *enter piece of wood*
I also drilled holes at 350mm & 375mm, considering I'd previously assumed I'd go up around 50mm.

So, standard 325mm:

Too short, by a long way.

Next, 350mm:

Looks good, but will 375 look better?

375:

Hmmm, too high! So 350mm it is. However! At 350mm, the compressed length is 270mm, which isn't quite enough unless I rejig my battery tray. If I rock up to a 360mm, I get 280, which by the time I get the 17" wheel in, should be more than enough clearance.

This is how the 360mm sits. Can't decide compared to the 350. Do I make the bike fit the shock or buy a shock that fits the bike?

Offline Pete12

« Reply #64 on: Jul 09, 2018, 17:34:42 »
If it was me Paddy I would go with the 350 and rejig the battery tray. The tank sits fairly level and the swing arm angle isn't too steep.

Offline Alex jb

« Reply #65 on: Jul 09, 2018, 19:22:01 »
Iíd say if you intend to give this thing a regular ĎItalian tune upí then go for the 360, you donít want to be shaving tyres all the time after the canal bridges.
Even the stiffer Hagonís have some sag too, as long as your chain line is clear with a riderís weight on it then you are good.

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #66 on: Jul 10, 2018, 08:52:56 »
Iíd say if you intend to give this thing a regular ĎItalian tune upí then go for the 360, you donít want to be shaving tyres all the time after the canal bridges.
Even the stiffer Hagonís have some sag too, as long as your chain line is clear with a riderís weight on it then you are good.

If it was me Paddy I would go with the 350 and rejig the battery tray. The tank sits fairly level and the swing arm angle isn't too steep.

Going to measure my swingarm angle tonight at each amount and see what's best, though I have to say I'm swayed towards the 350mm at the mo. I suppose I also need to account for approx. 20mm sag when doing so. If I stay with the 350, I'll remove the battery tray and reweld it higher up so there's no chance of it hitting.

Offline unclerob

« Reply #67 on: Jul 10, 2018, 14:41:41 »
I use NJB Ultimate shocks instead of Hagons....big bonus is that they are length adjustable by 50mm. They're made by Norman Blakemore who used to be a Girling development engineer, has a small unit over in Colchester. Once I've decided on the length I need I make up an ali collar (painted black in pics) to cover the exposed threads...

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #68 on: Jul 10, 2018, 14:53:05 »
I use NJB Ultimate shocks instead of Hagons....big bonus is that they are length adjustable by 50mm. They're made by Norman Blakemore who used to be a Girling development engineer, has a small unit over in Colchester. Once I've decided on the length I need I make up an ali collar (painted black in pics) to cover the exposed threads...

I have looked at NJB shocks before. How do they compare to the Hagons and how is the finish? They seem rather cheap but seem to hear good things about them.

Offline unclerob

« Reply #69 on: Jul 11, 2018, 05:35:32 »
They're certainly not cutting edge or anything but I've had maybe 10 pairs from him and no complaints. From a building point of view its nice to be able to set the shock length to what you want and see thats it right rather than have a pair made to a specific length and hope you're got it right.