Picked up a complete 2000 gsxr600 non-inverted front end for $50. Any advantage?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
I’m back after 6 years. Medical school and a divorce kicked my ass but my cb500t is back on the chopping block.

I was cruising craigslist yesterday and found a 2000 GSXR complete front end minus clip ons for $50. I didn’t ask questions. I just drove over to the guys place, asked if it was stolen and left with a whole front end with front tire/ hub/ brakes for $50.

Now my question, is there any advantage to using a NON-inverted modern fork set on a cb500t stock front end with new oil and seals? Dual brakes and 320mm rotor upgrade aside.

Here’s the bike getting sorted out properly with the time and attention she deserves.

the advantages are going to be more spring rate options readily available, better damping, and obviously as listed FAR better brakes. The caveats are that they may be sprung for a lighter bike which means picking one of those other available spring rates I just mentioned from, say, progressive or comparable. The geometry also is likely different such as offset in the triple trees and the trail measurement as a result of that different offset and length of the forks....although, the 17" front rim/tire combo also definitely helps reign in those potential problems that would be more troublesome with the stock 19" cb500t front wheel.

all said and done, you scored well my friend. If the offset is anywhere around 40-45mm and the forks are at least 29" long I'd say just get some tapered bearings from allballsracing.com to get the stem into your frame and have at it as-is.

Thanks for the fast reply! Looks like clamp offset is 34mm. Still looking for fork length.

I’m trying to upload pics but image hosting isn’t working.

34mm is tight, it could work if you're running 17" wheels front and rear, but with anything larger than a 17" wheel it will steer heavy and make take getting used to. for a 17" rear wheel you may be able to run a 77-78 cb750 rear wheel with a custom JT sprockets rear sprocket to correct the tooth count and offset.....or a gs500f rear mag should be narrow enough to use yet same style/shape wheel as the gsxr.

Hmmmmm I do already have a steering damper in the stockpile. What exactly would I need to run the gs500f rear wheel?

Thanks!

Fear My Twin said:
Hmmmmm I do already have a steering damper in the stockpile. What exactly would I need to run the gs500f rear wheel?

Thanks!

you'd have to get ahold of one to figure it out, but best case scenario some centering spacers. worst case scenario a custom sprocket, different bearings to adapt to your rear axle diameter, centering spacers, and potentially milling down of the cush drive to get the sprocket lined up if it's out too far for an offset front sprocket to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom