Clutch engagement problem

Garbr11

Ok so I’m at a loss. Freshly rebuilt motor, new clutch plates, the whole 9. Everything is together but my clutch just doesn’t wanna work. I have a 1976 CJ360T (CB360 without an electric start) and the clutch rod just doesn’t wanna engage the clutch. I’ve made every adjustment possible but every time I pull on the clutch handle one of 2 things happens. 1. I have resistance and it feels great but it doesn’t engage the clutch. 2. I have it as number 1 said an DJ start adjusting then it either starts clicking and ends up not having any resistance any more, or the ball bearings unseat and it looses all tension.
Please help.

A lot of Honda i have had use a ball bearing in the adjuster to push against the rod. Does yours use that and do you have it in?

I don't think the 360 has a ball, but check to make sure. Sounds like the throw out mechanism may have issues. It has three steel balls trapped between 2 plates with recesses for the balls. When you rotate one plate, the balls climb out of their pockets and push on the clutch rod. There is a short threaded rod with a lock nut that needs to be adjusted to remove the slack between the rod and the throw out. If there is clicking from the throw out there is a problem. Make sure all of this is correctly assembled. Make sure the left cover is correctly assembled with all the correct fasteners. If it is loose or has missing bolts, the throw out can push the cover away from the case instead of pushing the pressure plate away from the clutch stack. Remember that he actual distance the throw out traverses is fairly small, and even a small deflection in the components will impact the operation of the clutch. The crank arm has to be correctly orientated to the cable so it will be pulled through its full rotation. Keep in mind that the adjuster at the hand lever is only to adjust slack in the cable and its housing, and has nothing whatever to do with how the clutch works. If you bought new clutch plates, make sure their is the correct number of each, are all the correct thickness, and are in the right order. Non factory plates are often not the same thickness as OEM, though most clutch packs have a fair bit of tolerance for stack height. Sometimes it is helpful to have the right cover off to look at the clutch while you operate it.

The 360 had the ball, I forget the diameter but pretty sure 1/4" works. If you fitted a new cable that may be the problem. It's 'common knowledge' the outer sheath is too long by about 3mm~4mm..You are adjusting correctly? (back off cable, set screw&locknut, adjust engine end of cable)

Back
Top Bottom