CB360 w/slow crank after rebiild

have you tried pulling the spark plugs out? that might narrow down whether the starter is having a problem cranking the engine or whether there's something in your reassembly that made things very very tight and the starter is telling you something is wrong in the engine.

Thanks @themotoworks, I haven't. Curious how pulling the plugs would potentially change what the starter does? Interesting, though I think I'm missing what that would tell me about re-assembly.

stu.belshe said:
Thanks @themotoworks, I haven't. Curious how pulling the plugs would potentially change what the starter does? Interesting, though I think I'm missing what that would tell me about re-assembly.

It removes compression from the engine, making things easier to turn. If you're able to use the kicker, but not the electric start, probably no need to do this.

Makes sense. I am able to kick it, but I suppose there is a chance it's borderline too tight and pulling the plugs is still a simple test. Thanks for the idea.

stu.belshe said:
Pulling the plugs deletes compression. Although since it kicks over and starts fine that would suggest eventual tightness would be located in the cogs connecting starter to crank. Engines can be a bit tough to turn over on first startup with freshly honed bore, but compression would be lower until rings seat properly.

Pulling the plugs deletes compression. Although since it kicks over and starts fine that would suggest eventual tightness would be located in the cogs connecting starter to crank. Engines can be a bit tough to turn over on first startup with freshly honed bore, but compression would be lower until rings seat properly.

So if I pull the plugs and things spin freely, we know it's an engine issue and the starter if fine just as I assumed given the testing. Is this something in need of a fix or as you stated will improve once the rings seat?

stu.belshe said:
So if I pull the plugs and things spin freely, we know it's an engine issue and the starter if fine just as I assumed given the testing. Is this something in need of a fix or as you stated will improve once the rings seat?

It might even be harder to turn over once compression is up, i would inspect and clean out the starter engine. Carbon buildup reduces effiency.

you can easily kick over a motor that the old honda starters won't turn, the fact that it starts up doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing wrong with the reassembly, most engines will run if you give them no other option, for how long is another story.

you can easily kick over a motor that the old honda starters won't turn, the fact that it starts up doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing wrong with the reassembly, most engines will run if you give them no other option, for how long is another story.

Both good and scary to know, haha.

Back
Top Bottom