Rising Sun Aluminum rims - how are they?

MiniatureNinja

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
I'm talking about the rims sold at 4into1:
https://4into1.com/rising-sun-rim-spoke-set-black-honda-cb350-360-400f/

they seam pretty cheap, and I know that can be an indicator, but I also know this is just old tech, doesn't take a lot to make a rim. they are about 1/3 the cost of a Sun rim, and slightly heavier. Anyone have used them?

if no one has any info, I will buy them anyway and check them out, review and photos, install and such

Likely comparable to somebody like MikesXS. Cosmetic blems the big boys reject in QC.

I've bought a number of rims from MikesXS. In fact, I have one here now. I don't know anything about what Rising Sun has (hope to see your report!), but the rims I have received from Mike's are absolutely beautiful cosmetically. I have had some issues with the construction accuracy especially where the extrusion is welded together on a couple of them. I had to do some grinding and filing at the weld area to get them to run true enough, but I am quite picky about such things and I think most people would find those rims ok as is. Regardless, I do not believe they are seconds of blems, just typical cheap "no name" oriental imports. The ones I have bought have no markings aside from the size on either the rim or the box. Regardless of quality, be sure to get some indication of how any rim is drilled for hub size, as the angle of the machining for the nipples is very important to match the hub diameter. Presumably, being sold as a set with spokes for a specific model bike, this will be taken into account. Also, keep in mind that if you do not build wheels very often, that it can be a fair bit of work, so consider stainless spokes. The plated spokes will not last - especially if of poor quality. It is possible to get the right stainless spokes from Mike's, but it is difficult to research if your parts match the Yamaha models they list their parts for. And you have to have correct spokes. Threads on spokes MUST be rolled, so spinning a die on them to make a long spoke work is not an option. You can always get the correct thing from Buchanan's, - quite pricey - but you get what you pay for. Their Sun rims are very nice. Takasago (Excel) are also excellent, and about half the cost but still much more than the set you are looking at.

jpmobius said:
I've bought a number of rims from MikesXS. In fact, I have one here now. I don't know anything about what Rising Sun has (hope to see your report!), but the rims I have received from Mike's are absolutely beautiful cosmetically. I have had some issues with the construction accuracy especially where the extrusion is welded together on a couple of them. I had to do some grinding and filing at the weld area to get them to run true enough, but I am quite picky about such things and I think most people would find those rims ok as is. Regardless, I do not believe they are seconds of blems, just typical cheap "no name" oriental imports. The ones I have bought have no markings aside from the size on either the rim or the box. Regardless of quality, be sure to get some indication of how any rim is drilled for hub size, as the angle of the machining for the nipples is very important to match the hub diameter. Presumably, being sold as a set with spokes for a specific model bike, this will be taken into account. Also, keep in mind that if you do not build wheels very often, that it can be a fair bit of work, so consider stainless spokes. The plated spokes will not last - especially if of poor quality. It is possible to get the right stainless spokes from Mike's, but it is difficult to research if your parts match the Yamaha models they list their parts for. And you have to have correct spokes. Threads on spokes MUST be rolled, so spinning a die on them to make a long spoke work is not an option. You can always get the correct thing from Buchanan's, - quite pricey - but you get what you pay for. Their Sun rims are very nice. Takasago (Excel) are also excellent, and about half the cost but still much more than the set you are looking at.

thank you! The rims are also sold individually so I can just opt for rims and get spokes separately. I will likely do stainless - but does Buchanan's offer black spokes?

I just found this thread after finding the same rims on ebay. Did you manage to get a set and put them to use? Any additional thoughts on the rim quality?

I'm running a set on a CB550. Initially, I laced up the stock hoops and hubs, using the 4into1.com spokes. The stock hoops were way out of round, so I got a set of the Rising Sun rims, also from 4into1.com

I laced them myself, and the shop that trued them said they took a little work, and you can see the weights on the rim. But, so far, they run smooth and true. I have no complaints. The anodizing, or whatever finish they use, can be easily scratched by the threaded end of the spokes. I suggest taping up the rims while you're lacing them.

Attachments

• 20190915_095746.jpg
    20190915_095746.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 512
  • 20190915_095620.jpg
    20190915_095620.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 438
Rims look good, what size are they?

I'm running a set on a CB550. Initially, I laced up the stock hoops and hubs, using the 4into1.com spokes. The stock hoops were way out of round, so I got a set of the Rising Sun rims, also from 4into1.com

I laced them myself, and the shop that trued them said they took a little work, and you can see the weights on the rim. But, so far, they run smooth and true. I have no complaints. The anodizing, or whatever finish they use, can be easily scratched by the threaded end of the spokes. I suggest taping up the rims while you're lacing them.

Back
Top Bottom