"Stinger" | my wife's CB350four

durp

Been Around the Block
I've actually already been working on this for a while, but I never posted about it on here. What we have here is 1973 Honda CB350four. And per her direction and my guidance, turning it into a sort of brat bike.

Explanation of work in chronological order according the the attachments:
Stripping down the tank to the bare metal and polished it, clear coated.

Chopped off some excess frame and random bits. Started making the "stinger" tail. After making the first curves and joining them into a sharp point, i then reheated and bent it for a second curve upward. Then welded to the frame.

Made a simple battery/electronics tray out from sheet metal laying around. Welded to frame as well. Then used my trusty 3D printer to make some useful brackets for mounting the battery and other electronic parts.

After that, got started on the seat base/frame. Of which is all done, and the seat is about to go off to the upholster this week.

Removed the hideous green fork tube covers, and replaced with some new headlight brackets. During the process I discovered a pretty bad crack all the way through part of the top triple clamp. So gonna have to replace that.

The carbs that came with this bike were in bad shape. Stripped threads, broken pieces all through out. Ended up just buying an entirely new set of old carbs and rebuilt them. After doing that and installing the Dyna S electronic ignition, it fires up and runs quite nice.

Last week I picked up a sharp 4 into 1 exhaust from a friend here and installed it. Love the looks of it, and sounds really nice too. Here's a video of it running (mostly running, i suspect I have a cracked overflow tube or 2 in the carbs as its got some excessive fuel coming out of the overflow lines).

https://youtu.be/5VzQxEJSIa4

That's the basic, short version, run-down. Tons of other little things have been done, and parts on their way. Over all I like how well it's coming together.

Attachments

• stinger-1.jpg
    stinger-1.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 298
  • stinger-2.jpg
    stinger-2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 295
  • stinger-3.jpg
    stinger-3.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 300
  • stinger-4.jpg
    stinger-4.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 300
  • stinger-5.jpg
    stinger-5.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 302
  • stinger-6.jpg
    stinger-6.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 294
  • stinger-7.jpg
    stinger-7.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 296
  • stinger-8.jpg
    stinger-8.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 296
  • stinger-9.jpg
    stinger-9.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 306
  • stinger-10.jpg
    stinger-10.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 303
  • stinger-11.jpg
    stinger-11.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 302
  • stinger-12.jpg
    stinger-12.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 300
  • stinger-13.jpg
    stinger-13.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 318
  • stinger-14.jpg
    stinger-14.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 302
  • stinger-15.jpg
    stinger-15.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 295
Re: "Stinger" | my wife's CB350four

Very sexy Sir.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

durp said:
I've actually already been working on this for a while, but I never posted about it on here. What we have here is 1973 Honda CB350four. And per her direction and my guidance, turning it into a sort of brat bike.

Explanation of work in chronological order according the the attachments:
Stripping down the tank to the bare metal and polished it, clear coated.

Chopped off some excess frame and random bits. Started making the "stinger" tail. After making the first curves and joining them into a sharp point, i then reheated and bent it for a second curve upward. Then welded to the frame.

Made a simple battery/electronics tray out from sheet metal laying around. Welded to frame as well. Then used my trusty 3D printer to make some useful brackets for mounting the battery and other electronic parts.

After that, got started on the seat base/frame. Of which is all done, and the seat is about to go off to the upholster this week.

Removed the hideous green fork tube covers, and replaced with some new headlight brackets. During the process I discovered a pretty bad crack all the way through part of the top triple clamp. So gonna have to replace that.

The carbs that came with this bike were in bad shape. Stripped threads, broken pieces all through out. Ended up just buying an entirely new set of old carbs and rebuilt them. After doing that and installing the Dyna S electronic ignition, it fires up and runs quite nice.

Last week I picked up a sharp 4 into 1 exhaust from a friend here and installed it. Love the looks of it, and sounds really nice too. Here's a video of it running (mostly running, i suspect I have a cracked overflow tube or 2 in the carbs as its got some excessive fuel coming out of the overflow lines).

https://youtu.be/5VzQxEJSIa4

That's the basic, short version, run-down. Tons of other little things have been done, and parts on their way. Over all I like how well it's coming together.
Looking good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Did a quick spray can job to the modified frame portions... just cuz I wanna get this thing road-ready so my wife can actually enjoy riding it. She's owned it for years and never had the opportunity to. Once winter comes back around, we'll properly take it apart and do some finer details.

cb350f_painted_frame.jpg

And started shaping some copper fuel overflow tubes. She wants to do copper accents around the bike, so I thought I'd start there.

cb350f_copper_lines_1.jpg

cb350f_copper_lines_2.jpg

firebane said:
What bars are those?

Same as these except black http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-CNC-22mm-7-8-Bar-Handlebar-Motorcycle-Sport-Bikes-for-Honda-Suzuki-US-/272634026881?hash=item3f7a411b81:g:pYAAAOSwpRRWpsoy&vxp=mtr

1fasgsxr said:
Do you know what brand that exhaust is from your buddy? I like the look of the head pipes..
Just asked him now: the headers are from Delkevic and the can is from cone engineering.

Wow these copper overflows are nice!may I ask how you bent them?how do you connect then to the carb bowls?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A310F using DO THE TON mobile app

To get the perfect bends I fill the tubes with sand and then tape off both ends, and then take a blowtorch to it for a few seconds. Then ya just bend em slowly against something round.

I'm just using really short fuel lines to connec them to the overflow tubes.

durp said:
To get the perfect bends I fill the tubes with sand and then tape off both ends, and then take a blowtorch to it for a few seconds. Then ya just bend em slowly against something round.

I'm just using really short fuel lines to connec them to the overflow tubes.
Amazing idea!

Sent from my SM-A310F using DO THE TON mobile app

Couple more updates. Installed front/rear turn signals, a kill switch, tail light and license plate bracket.
cb350-turns-1.jpg

cb350-turns-2.jpg

cb350-killswitch.jpg

Really digging the look. Great job on that tail hoop

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

All turns, tail/brake, brake switches and kill switch are all wired up and routed now. That was the last of it. So now I'm just waiting on the leather seat upholstery to get finished and I'll call it done for the year.

cb350f-stinger-lighting-1.jpg

cb350f-stinger-lighting-2.jpg

cb350f-stinger-gb500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom