The beginnings of a Money Pit: '71 CB175.

Em Dot

So I picked up this all original '71 CB175. 4000 some-odd miles on it. Pretty clean, has some decent paint on it.

BMVfJyGCYAEhexf.jpg

I bought it with a seized motor, I didn't care, the color was too tough to pass up on. He was giving me a spare CB200 motor, scrambler pipes and carbs, although he was not certain if the motor ran.

613f4119-6490-40bc-801a-cc9f2852922b_zpsba850d4d.jpg
[/URL]

Motor came out easy, like literally 20 minutes. popped the new one in and to my not so surprise, the CB200 engine doesn't work. No biggie. So I'm looking to rebuild it this week. Hopefully I'll have more updates soon.

Other than some paint fading, this looks to be an extremely clean base to build on! I bet this won't be as big of a money pit as you think. The seized engine may not require more than a top end job. I'd get it running and ride/tune the crap out of it this summer before you start replacing/upgrading things. Then you can work on improvements next winter (like making the spare motor race ready ;D).

BarnBurner said:
Other than some paint fading, this looks to be an extremely clean base to build on! I bet this won't be as big of a money pit as you think. The seized engine may not require more than a top end job. I'd get it running and ride/tune the crap out of it this summer before you start replacing/upgrading things. Then you can work on improvements next winter (like making the spare motor race ready ;D).

good to know! I'm used to swapping engines in cars that take a good amount of time, and money. This literally took 1.5 hours out with the 175 and the 200 engine in. I'm going to pull the 175 apart, see whats going on with it. The story is that it was running, sat for a year and it seized. cross my fingers that I can get it running, I'd love to whip this around soon.

Take the 200 motor, wrap a chain around it and bolt it to the front of a boat so someone can use it as the anchor it is. ;)

Seriously though, the 175 is a better engine and as stated, may be a relatively easy fix. Since its out, pull the head and inspect the cylinders. May just need new rings and a hone.

VonYinzer said:
Take the 200 motor, wrap a chain around it and bolt it to the front of a boat so someone can use it as the anchor it is. ;)

Seriously though, the 175 is a better engine and as stated, may be a relatively easy fix. Since its out, pull the head and inspect the cylinders. May just need new rings and a hone.

you know, I started reading and totally thought you were about to give me some crazy secret about the 200 lol. Since its out, once I get home from work in going to tear it down. Thanks for the helpful words.

Re: Re: The beginnings of a Money Pit: '71 CB175.

Em Dot said:
you know, I started reading and totally thought you were about to give me some crazy secret about the 200 lol. Since its out, once I get home from work in going to tear it down. Thanks for the helpful words.

Yeah, don't bother listening to that yahoo. I mean, if you bolt the motor to the boat, how would you use it as an anchor? Make sure to fasten the chain securely to the bow. ^-^

Hey, it'd be silly to anchor a boat with a running motor. Nice work.

Would be hilarious though. Thanks man, but this forum takes the credit. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it around here lol

I decided to angle cut the exhaust pipes. Eventually I'll get some custom cone pipes to make it look aesthetically pleasing. Not too bad, it is pretty loud without the baffles though. Oh well lol.

They're stamped CB350, so I'm guessing they're originally from one. Fits really well either way.

And Since the grinder is out, I may trim the fenders back a tad. Not sure since I do want to keep the bike as original looking as possible, but these huge fenders are pretty darn ugly.

Finally buttoned all the little tid-bits up and took it for a spin to run errands. I cant seem to get it to idle well under ~2500 rpms, it just stalls out. other wise, not too shabby.

Back
Top Bottom