76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: New Dual O2 sensors, 76 CB360, the Pig

teazer said:
That and a cheap pillar drill plus a "generous" helping of patience is all you need. I have "machined" a couple of sets of needles and PJ is correct that getting the same is hard and I would hate to check them on a decent sized optical comparator where the inaccuracies in taper would really show up.

I worked on the basis that close to what is needed is better than stock even if it isn't perfect.

i would use a handrill chucked in a bench vise or whater so the needle is vertical pointy end up then the mainjet gauges can be easily let down on the taper till they stop held only by gravity's pull
i think if the jet is kept clean the needle wiped down each time an no force beyond gravity used the accuracy for a repeat will be better than trying to measure

I got ya, thankyou, thats an awesome write up.

http://www.pdgage.com/cylring.htm

ring ring its a ring gauge that is what its callled i actually coulld'nt think it up there
that is what i suggested main jets could be used as a creude ring gauge you can even buy ring gauges ,not wedding rings not like the gauges for sizing jewelry rings, dont get confused, you would use a plug gauge for gauging jewlry rings ,for that
but the ones you buy thay are heavy and hard would def go below surface so the needle would need to be the gravity powerd part

http://www.pdgage.com/

XB that is some good and very cool info. 8)

OK guys, w all this being said. Ive posted this a bunch of times over the years and Im gonna post it again now. So, If you are new to DTT or whatever...Here is my official disclaimer.

this 360 is the very first motorcycle I have ever owned. (5-6 years now) I am not a motorcycle mechanic. I am not a college educated anything of any sorts. I dont have a clue what I am doing. Im simply a guy who believes in myself (sometimes, over estimating my own abilities.) I love learning and trying new things.

Do not try to duplicate what I am doing. If you do...I promise, chances are very good, your bike may not run in the end. And I can not help you un-do. My carbs are already heavily modified. by both, myself and PJ. Some of it has been posted, some of it hasnt.

Im just a guy who enjoys messing w this bike. I like riding it...but I like fucking w it even more than riding it. Does it show?

I have no formal education, But I believe its possible, we can come up w something that the Team of College educated engineers down at the Honda facility w their Professional research and development tools, years of R/D experience and seemingly unlimited budgets couldnt.

Sure I believe its possible even probable. See now, I over estimate. ;)

This thread is not an instructable, it is for entertainment purposes only. Amateurs do not attempt. Do not try this at home.
;D

this morning I am going to start w a full deal tune up. first checking valves (cold), clean the magnet in the fuel bowl, then run her a bit to warm up and adjust cam chain/timing, float levels, A/F mix and all the fun Hot work.

Work on installing adventureco improved 3d support.

then im gonna sit down w a cup of coffee & smoke and stare at this selection of needles until I come up w a hypothesis. then start to work on my theory.

And make a new wire harness for my shitty little trailer lights.

I have posted before I believe the problem is. The slides raise too much at lower rpm. Allowing the Secondary main to feed fuel before she is ready for it. So I need to make the straight portion of the needle longer than stock. So she dont start feeding fuel until the slide is higher. Then worry about taper after I see if this helps at all.

Or burn a hole in piston. Trying to get her home running too lean.

You're saying it's feeding fuel before it's ready and that it's lean too. Those are opposite problems with different indicators.

Trek, love the disclaimer.

I liked XB's ring gauge approach. I use main jets to compare needle diameters - or use your calipers and lightly "clamp" on one needle and gently slide the other in beside it. If it doesn't go down as far it's thicker and if it slide further in it's thinner.

Your logic on the needle is sound. Some GSXR carbs have needles that are parallel for most of their length.

I set up a simple spreadsheet where I input the needle jet diameter and it calculates the area of the jet. Then I input the diameter of the needle at 5mm increments along its length and it calculates the are of the needle at those points. Then it takes needle area from jet area to get the area of the annulus (ring) that is open to fuel flow at each point.

In the next few columns I put in the combo of needle jet and new needle I want to compare it to and it calculates the difference between old setup and new as a percentage. That way I can see where I needle to change flow and I can develop a needle profile that looks like I think it should. It's easier than is sounds.

deviant said:
You're saying it's feeding fuel before it's ready and that it's lean too. Those are opposite problems with different indicators.

Yep shes rich and lean.

To address the rich midrange 2500-4500rpm issues. Ive got her as lean as she can be and still keep running during decel to a stop. If I could go leaner I would. Because, she is still a bit rich when cruising between 2500-4500rpm. Say 30mph.

Ive got a 55? Primary main installed now to lean her out. Forcing the install of 41 pilot to keep her running during decel to a stop. (This system works great. 8) BTW)

Because she still goes rich upon acceleration and cruising. I want to try leaner w needle. then, if I can keep upper rpm (through taper and jet) under control. I can go closer to stock main primary and pilot jetting.

Which brings us to the next disclaimer...

All things considered. Its a 360 and it always will be a 360. It runs great.

So, why fix it if it aint broke? Ive asked myself this many times. I dont have an answer. ;D

Im usually pretty sensible when it comes to this sort of thing. However, in this particular case. Its just I believe it can be better. And it seems to be a pretty good outlet...to take my mind off of real life, while I work on it.

In my garage, pandora blasting Black Sabbath and Lily Allen, beverage of choice, chain smoking cigarettes, no distractions...nobody buggin me.

I just lose myself in it. I have an anxiety disorder and focusing on this bike brings relief.

And most importantly I love it. AND I dont have a deadline. It dont matter if its running Monday morning.

I guess I do have an answer. ;)

teazer said:
Trek, love the disclaimer.

I liked XB's ring gauge approach. I use main jets to compare needle diameters - or use your calipers and lightly "clamp" on one needle and gently slide the other in beside it. If it doesn't go down as far it's thicker and if it slide further in it's thinner.

Your logic on the needle is sound. Some GSXR carbs have needles that are parallel for most of their length.

I set up a simple spreadsheet where I input the needle jet diameter and it calculates the area of the jet. Then I input the diameter of the needle at 5mm increments along its length and it calculates the are of the needle at those points. Then it takes needle area from jet area to get the area of the annulus (ring) that is open to fuel flow at each point.

In the next few columns I put in the combo of needle jet and new needle I want to compare it to and it calculates the difference between old setup and new as a percentage. That way I can see where I needle to change flow and I can develop a needle profile that looks like I think it should. It's easier than is sounds.

LOL, DUHHHHHhhh. I really dont know what I am doing, do I?

dont answer that...its a rhetorical question. You lost me at "Simple spreadsheet". ::)

ALL, You guys never cease to amaze me w your knowledge and skills. Thank you for sharing your time, w a guy like me.

I am humbled and honored.

Here's the best fix for those carbs...

lesson_plan_recycling_trash_can.jpg

Remember what I said about being honored to know you guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK4fJhbRL1g

Hey man, I totally think it's okay for you to be gay. ;D

deviant said:
Hey man, I totally think it's okay for you to be gay. ;D

A guy builds 3 bikes...still hasnt earned the title "bike builder". But, sucks one dick... :eek:

Who built three bikes? Does he know he's not a bike builder? Does the girl have no name? Why did you edit your response?

deviant said:
Who built three bikes? Does he know he's not a bike builder? Does the girl have no name? Why did you edit your response?

Ok I suppose its 2 bikes. And I swear to god...in just the right lighting...You looked like a girl.
11494-290516183356.jpeg

Ok guys the first step. I want to see a result so Im not messing around making small tweaks.
I want to know whats going to happen adding a maximum additional 9.5mm to the "root".
Then I can step down from there an additional 4mm w clips, then add shims as needed. To shorten it even more.
and go from there...working w tapers/tips after I achieve desired length.

heres what Im starting with.

11494-300516051210.jpeg

Well after installing it in a junk carb and messing around a bit. I found I cant raise it too much (a few mm on the jesus clip) because it can come out past the jet nozzle and a good chance it will become wedged...holding the slide full open.

Live and learn. I can still install it as is without worry and give it a go as is.

the next one I will leave as long as possible. But dont want the tip to get stuck in the jet itself.

Like I said its a trial and error science thing.

It will work to test the theory and if it works, there will be time to find a longer needle to work with for the next step.

Back
Top Bottom