1966 Yamaha YL1 "Roadrunner"

I don't know why this thread doesn't have more comments, that thing is really cool. The drag bars will be a nice touch without going overboard.

damarble said:
I don't know why this thread doesn't have more comments, that thing is really cool. The drag bars will be a nice touch without going overboard.
Thanks! Yeah the drag bars should look pretty cool without creating additional income for my chiropractor. And the fact they are genuine Yammy NOS parts is a bonus. And besides, this is not a bike I'll be riding across the country. Maybe a race to the local donut shop and back tho'

As promised, some before and after pics of the chain guard:
IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Thanks for the comments on the new guard guys.
I have to do something with the air filter and rubber manifold. The rubber has dried out and its near impossible to get them to seal on the carbs. So there are air leaks causing some erratic running. So I found a NOS rubber manifold on eBay which I ordered. I also ordered a pair of these as they were dirt cheap. They may or may not fit but for under 15.00 for the pair it's worth a try. If they do fit they might be kind of cool. Just have to wait and see.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/28mm-New-universal-Air-Filter-Motorcycle-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha-Silver-/221000648466?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2226263544866535544%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D110942748041%26

Well, a small box arrived from China in the mail today. Like a kid at Christmas, I could hardly wait to see if it was my carb filters. Nope, it was the mirrors. Well $hit, guess I'll have to wait a little more to get that motor dialed in. At any rate, I put the new mirrors on (even though I'll be changing the bars when they arrive) to see how they looked. Actually, I was pretty happy with them. Much nicer looking than the big stock ugly one, and the quality was much better than I was expecting (especially for the low price)
Some pics...
Original and new:
IMG_1115.jpg

And the new ones:
IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

Ha! "Quadropheinia scooter". Those mirrors add a bit more style to watching the coyote disappear into the distance behind you.

Some inspiration for the front end...
IMG_0167.jpg

And some inspiration for the rear end...
IMG_0168.jpg

OK, and again without the distractions...
IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Actually I kind of like the look, and it should not be too hard to replicate the seat/fairing (not the girls). If I could replicate the girls I would not be wasting my time fixing up this old YL1 LOL

It was like Christmas here today - the bars and air filters arrived. I'll take some pics and post later. Not sure if the filters will work - its gonna be a real tight fit so you never know.
BTW - no comments on the pretty girls? I'm dissapointed in all you guys. Not even any ladies piped in to call me a sexist pig or anything. ;D I went to far lengths to get those photos. Do you think the V7 fairing is a good idea or not?

Been a little sidetracked with other crap lately, but finally got around to doing a few things.
First off I removed the old rubber air intake Y-manifold. Well its supposed to be rubber but has turned into a hard plastic. Which is why I cant get it to seal on the carbs
IMG_1131.jpg

With it out of the way, I test fit the air filter assemblies I got from China. Just not gonna fit - clearance issues with the frame, not by much, just enough to make them not useable. Into my ever expanding spare parts bin they go.
Back to plan B, use the NOS Y-manifold. But the stock air cleaner has some issues. First of all, the replacement filters are obsolete, and the canister that holds it looks pretty restrictive.
IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

So I'm thinking a plan C. Use the new Y-manifold and try to adapt a less restrictive air filter. Better for performance, easier to get replacements. Since the manifold has a 50mm opening, I'll start searching. Its got me thinking...some sort of ram air intake in the side cover might be possible, especially if I make a fiberglass duplicate of the existing cover.

And although I have not mounted them yet, here are the pics of the NOS Yamaha drag bars. The plastic they were sealed in had turned black and pretty much disintegrated when it took the bars out.
IMG_1122.jpg

But a little chrome polish and they cleaned up good
IMG_1123.jpg

I have also been playing around with a cardboard mockup of the number plate/fairing/windscreen for the front of Roadrunner. Easier to work with cardboard than metal or fiberglass at this point. Sort of a V7 Racer look. Maybe put the number 66 on there. Maybe Wile E Coyote splattered on there like a dead bug. ;D What do you think? Got to design some bolt on hardware to hold it in place too. Everything is more of a PIA when you cant chop, cut or weld the bike. Remember my self-imposed rule; everything must be reversible.
IMG_1118.jpg

I like it !!!!! Metal number plate and clear or smoked screen ;)

DreadRock said:
I like it !!!!! Metal number plate and clear or smoked screen ;)
Thanks - I've bought a used windscreen off ebay, mainly to utilize/adapt some of the mounting hardware. We shall see...

eBay is coming in pretty handy, except every time I buys something it takes 1 - 2 weeks to get stuff. At any rate, I did some measuring last night of the compartment that holds the battery and air filter canister, and found this:
KGrHqJHJFUE-k8ohRKkBPtoDm5lc60_12.jpg

Looks like it will fit inside the space previously occupied by the old canister. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'll need to fabricate some adapter to mount this and the Y-manifold together, and to secure it in place. This should solve the air filter issue, and help to solve the restriction of the stock canister. Speaking of restriction, I am going to have to do something with the side cover to allow some fresh air in there. The stock configuration has the engine trying to suck air out of a closed compartment. The only place air can get in is in a little bit of space around the Y-manifolds entry point into the frame, right behind the motor. Like breathing hot air through a straw. If I can find a side cover on ebay I'll just modify it; otherwise I will make a fiberglass copy of the existing one. Sort of like what Plymouth did back in the day with their "Coyote Duster" air cleaner...

I've been really busy lately and haven't had much time to work on this, but my steel number plate arrived late last week and I transferred my pattern and cut it out this afternoon. I actually ordered 2 figuring it might take a couple attempts to get it right, but as it turned out the first go was a complete success and I'm happy with the way it looks. I did the headlight cutout with a jigsaw and a fine metal blade. I made a sanding block out of wood the correct circumference and used varying grades of sandpaper to finish it. Sometimes when you don't have the right tool for a job it's easier just to make one. Now when my eBay windscreen gets here I can drill the holes for the mounting hardware I'm going to steal from it. Next will be to make the windscreen part - anyone have any suggestions on the best material to use for this? My thought was just to head to Lowes and look for some clear plastic about 3/16" thick. Just need something that is easy to cut and drill. Hopefuly the air filter will get here this week too so I can get the carbs adjusted right.

Ready to cut out - pattern transferred to the rear of the plate.
IMG_1140.jpg

After cutting - just needs some finishing and smoothing.
IMG_1143.jpg

And this block sander I made to the same circumference of the cut out made finishing easy by using several grades of sanding paper.
IMG_1142.jpg

And some pics of the slightly modified windshield mounts mounted to the drag bars.
IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

The advantage of those windscreen mounts are that they are fully adjustable, and are strong as hell. So I'll be able to play with the screen/windscreen angle/placement to get it optimal. And I could ride this thing at top speed all day without having to worry about that metal plate coming off and decapitating me. The disadvantage is they are a little more clunky looking than I'd like. Who knows, if I don't like it I'll fabricate some mounts with the optimal angle to fit to the headlight bucket turn signal mounts at a later date. :-\ As i said at the start, I'm just plugging away at this in between all the other crap going on in my life and I have no plan. We will go wherever this little beast takes me...

Back
Top Bottom