1966 Yamaha YL1 "Roadrunner"

CDNbiker said:
One of the "repairs" that was done to the bike at some point was something I discovered when removing the throttle off of the handlebars. One of the metric screws had fallen out, and the PO decided that a large wood screw would make a perfect replacement. This left the original threads in the aluminum destroyed. I was going to try and tap it with a larger screw, but found this on e-Bay. So its on order. Bonus that I get new wire and don't have to reuse the old harness.
D070E4E8-82A6-4F83-BAB2-2991000E68B3-8440-00000961B7D632B6.jpg

Still waiting on my windscreen, should be done this week sometime.
So this assembly arrived today from Asia, and guess what. It's about 90% like the one on mine, and 10% something different. The way the throttle assembly is captivated is completely different so I can't use it. It IS a NOS Yamaha part but its not the same as the one on this bike. (Insert 4 letter word here) - one step forward and two back. My next build is definitely going to be based on something with more readily available parts because this is the THIRD time I've got parts that are "almost" right. Add this to the fuel petcock and the left side brake assembly. Triple (Insert 4 letter word here). Seems a patterns is emerging. Parts on Asian YL1's are a little different than ones on North American imports. So it's hit and miss depending on what your buying. I'm a slow learner but after 3 times I think I'm starting to get it lol...

A few quick updates. The holidays consumed all my time and the weather has turned here (cold) and I'm kinda wishing I'd moved the bike into the basement to work on before my yard was under a foot of snow. Just too damm cold in the garage (really need to get a 220V electric heater put in there next summer). Got a couple estimates to get the seat turned into sort of a V7 Racer cafe look using the stock pan. About $500.00. Not sure I want to spend that much so maybe Ill go the homebuit route. Pulled the carbs off (to get the gas drained out of them as there is no drain on the bowl?!? Also found some cool NOS fork gaiters on eBay that I bought. I've been working on another project too, kind of a board tracker 'cause its warmer in my basement.

Yeah the build has been on hold due to the crappy cold winter weather here. Just have not felt like freezing my butt off in the garage lol. Things have been warming up and I'll get back into it soon. Funny I was just thinking I've got to get this project restarted then saw your post...

About ten years ago I scored one of these from a friend of a friend and spent about a week cleaning and tuning on her. It was in remarkably good shape, a lot like yours. I got it going and my dad, brother, and I took it down to the high school and buzzed around for about 3 hours on it. What a blast! It made darn good power for such a little old scoot. Anyways, my point is that if you haven't ridden it yet you will definetly have fun on it.

Good luck with the build!

I'm back. Well at last I am getting back into this little project, I've been busy doing some mods to my TU250, the latest of which was adapting a Truimph T120 peashooter exhaust to it. Since its the bike I ride the most, it's been getting most of my spare time lately.
Enough excuses, I've been on eBay looking for more parts for this build. I found some NOS fork boots and should have them in a week or so. The first set I found in the fall got lost in the mail, and so did my money :(
I'll post a pic of them from my PC.

Back
Top Bottom