1972* sl 350 resto/upgrade/something

seansmitty42

What is up everyone!! I have only been on this site for around a month and I figure it is time to quit lurking. I apologize now for the crappy cell phone pics, I really didn't plan on a forum build post but whatever, you have been warned. I do have some good pics on my camera and I will try to upload them as work permits. Anyway, I was born in 1985 and I have never seen this bike run. It was torn down to the frame around 10-15 years ago and sat in pieces until 2 years ago. My dad took the motor in, had it rebuilt, pretty much stock, new everything, and then it sat in a bag for a year or so. Me and a friend of mine started powder coating for ourselves in January of 2013. We needed some practice and had some extra powder so pops cleaned up the frame and we coated it (black blaze, which isn't black its more of a dark grey). We coated the swinger a "chrome" and its more of a silver.

sl frame all blasted and clean by seansmitty42, on Flickr
Here it is all cleaned up and blasted.

fresh coat! by seansmitty42, on Flickr
Fresh out of the booth! Not to shabby for being the second frame we ever coated!

first pic by seansmitty42, on Flickr
There it is. After a good 8 months we started on it again.

wiring by seansmitty42, on Flickr
We have been plugging along from here, pretty much a stock bike with minimal upgrades. We upgraded the back suspension and replaced that monstrosity of a tail light with something a little smaller. (i will have pics soon).

finally off the table by seansmitty42, on Flickr
This is pretty much how she sits now. Let me know what you think!

Re: 1978 sl 350 resto/upgrade/something

Sorry but it isn't a 1978 SL350, it is a really great looking 1972 SL350. Honda made a single cylinder XL350 from 1974 till 1978. Great looking bike, Hopefully 72' SL350 looks that good when I finish it.

1978 sl 350 resto/upgrade/something

Sorry for the mistake! You are exactly right! We have a couple bikes in the shop and I always get stuff mixed up! Hahaha thanks for the compliment and the correction. /facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I added a couple more pics. I have a little bit of time in the morning on Thursday before major work starts at noon. I hope to edit some of the photos from my camera and throw on here.

I finally got some photos off my camera, so here they are.

sideview 1/10 by seansmitty42, on Flickr
Side view as of a couple days ago.

Bare by seansmitty42, on Flickr
A little bit better view of the frame color. Pretty happy with that accident.

side view by seansmitty42, on Flickr
I really wish that the side plate wouldn't have sat in the garage where sun got to it everyday but who cares it adds character.

headlight and gauges by seansmitty42, on Flickr
Profile shot if you will

gauges by seansmitty42, on Flickr

Herkamer!!! by seansmitty42, on Flickr
This is Herkamer, he runs shit. We are going to be replacing all the crappy phillips heads screws with some allen heads soon.

bars by seansmitty42, on Flickr
Got the bars and front fender on the other night and my damn camera died. I will have some more pics by the end of the week. We are waiting on wheel bearings and tires then we should be able to mount exhaust and fire sometime next week!

Thanks! My dad was pretty open to all the suggestions me and a friend of mine made. Gold bars, powder coating colors and whatnot. It has been a super fun project. Still have a couple pieces to coat next week. Should post some updates soon.

Thanks we are working on it right now. I'll take pics today or tomorrow. It's all little stuff, so no major photo updates.

For it only being our second frame and an accidental color we are pretty happy with it.

Some crappy iPhone pics. Handle bars and mirrors on. With Herkamer chillin.
yjusemer.jpg

7umuquva.jpg

It's beer o'clock here. Cheers!
y2ujamaj.jpg

ubepuru4.jpg

The ever exciting air filter photo!

pesyvazu.jpg

Testing, testing. Is this thing on?

Still working at it, or drinking at it. Either way be good or be good at it..That's what I was always told.

Should have some more iPhone photos of the tail light up soon! We should be riding since it's 70 degrees out but noooo..

Thunder up!

It makes it run a little hotter! That reminded me of The Fastest Indian. Now I have to watch that movie again lol

Thunder up!

Back
Top Bottom