What modern tires are you guys Running?

camatt29

Bout to buy tires for my sandcast cb750 cafe project...wondering what size/ brand you guys are running as far as modern tires go. I'm pretty partial to pilot powers from my rocket days but was unsure how they would get along with tubes. Any input? Thanks!

camatt29 said:
Bout to buy tires for my sandcast cb750 cafe project...wondering what size/ brand you guys are running as far as modern tires go. I'm pretty partial to pilot powers from my rocket days but was unsure how they would get along with tubes. Any input? Thanks!

What leads you to believe you have a sandcast (gravity cast) CB750?

Like to see the 750 and tubeless tires are fine to run tubes in if your rims need them. I have used AM26 Avon RoadRiders and loved them I have also used Shinko 712's and 230's and both of those are great tires for the $$$. Use the oem size or the modern coverted version in any of those 3 tires and you should be happy, they are head and shoulders above the older rubber and vintage replica stuff.

Avon Roadriders for the 360, Dunlop Qualifiers on the 7fitty, and Shinko 700s dual sport on the XL.

Only basing the sandcastness .....on the year. Could be misguided... But a few of the guys in my local motorcycle club seem to be sure it is. If there is something I should know that would tell me otherwise let me know

camatt29 said:
Only basing the sandcastness .....on the year. Could be misguided... But a few of the guys in my local motorcycle club seem to be sure it is. If there is something I should know that would tell me otherwise let me know
What's the vin on the motor? Is it after 1007414?

I'll check it out tomorrow. Its really nothing too important to me as I'm not restoring it, nor planning to sell it. Although it has become somewhat of a shop nickname... It'll be like finding out you've been misguided of your pets gender lol.

Is there any rim profile type that you cannot match tubeless tires to when stuffing a tube in there?

cosworth said:
Is there any rim profile type that you cannot match tubeless tires to when stuffing a tube in there?
All rims that need tubes can have tubes, if the rim is tubeless no need to put a tube so the profile doesn't matter. IF the rim is tubeless and you manage to find a tire that needs a tube these days that might be the only time you have an issue, but I am pretty sure there are very few tires made now that need a tube. It is generally the rim that determines the need for a tube or not.

Just want to go on record and say IF you have a sandcast and you are not restoring it, PLEASE sell it to someone who will. Promise they'll make it worth your while. Worth it enough to buy at least a couple other non-sandcast models.

PS - My '78 K model with 17" rear is wearing Bridgestone Spitfires. One of the few you can find for a 17" rear, but a fantastic tire none the less. Good performance with very good longevity, and a reasonable price tag.

Seriously. ^

If you say your bike is a '72 though, it's not a gravity cast, they were only manufactured until September of 1969. :( I've seen a sandcast motor go for $25,000.

One quick and easy way to identify is look at the clutch cover. The sandcast will have 11 bolts holding it on, non-sandcast has 10.

On this subject, though, Bridgestone Spitfires and Shinkos have been a great deal in my experience.

Maritime said:
All rims that need tubes can have tubes, if the rim is tubeless no need to put a tube so the profile doesn't matter. IF the rim is tubeless and you manage to find a tire that needs a tube these days that might be the only time you have an issue, but I am pretty sure there are very few tires made now that need a tube. It is generally the rim that determines the need for a tube or not.

I read that a few times and still didn't get anything from it. I don't care about tubes, I'm after a potentially flawed rim profile and tire combination.

Is there a modern tubeless tire, that if you used a tube inside it, that doesn't match a certain older rim? Does this "potential" combination not seat properly etc.? I'm asking since there will be someone who reads this or similar in the future and pops a tubeless tire on their "x" rim, along with a tube and it might not like to seat well. I recall Avon tires do NOT fit on some Harley rims.

The profiles I'm talking about are the WM, TF, CM styles.

Pirelli Sport Demon on the big bikes and Pirelli City Demon on the small.

I see your point. I have mounted many tires, tubed and non on many rims and never had an issue. I just may not have run into that combo. I just did a set of chrome Harley tubeless mags and the front I took off was an Avon. I re-mounted a set of me880 metzelers and they mounted and seated just fine. I was only trying to let folks know if a rim needs a tube, any tire of the correct size can be fitted whether it is tube type or tube less, with a tube.

Back
Top Bottom