brat style bike guide???

calisoul

Although there is a lot of info on bike builds out there, it all seems to be scattered. Is there anyplace that has a real guide to building a brat style bike?
I've been piecing together info from various posts on here and other sites but nothing that is very concrete. I've got my bike running pretty well and looking good. I'm just about at the point were I'm going to hack off the back-end and start buying things but I don't want to do something recklessly and waste money or delay the process by damaging something.

Can someone point me in the right direction? any videos out there?

Thanks in advance!

There's no real how to. Really just trial and error if it's your first build.

Post pics so we can see the starting point. There are a ton of common errors doing a "brat style" bike.

Ok...

First, make aseat from a skateboard. Wrap the skateboard with some old leather. Mount Firestone balloon tires. Hack off a bunch of stuff and intall super narrow tracker bars. Strip the gas tank to bare metal. Take grainy pics in front of train cars, old steel mills, graffiti covered brick walls, a bunch of bearded guys standing around mean mugging eachother, etc...

Done.

Honestly though, those guys up there are right. No "how to" really. You have to get dirty, make mistakes, do the research amd ask the questions to make it happen. Lots of smart and helpful folks here to help keep ya moving forward too. First step is letting us know what bike you're starting with and what you're after as an end result. See, the term "Brat" gets thrown around a lot and people seems to have a few different ideas as to its meaning. Post up some pics of bikes that inspire you. That will help us help you. :)

From pictures of Japanese "Brat style" bikes Ive seen online coming out of the Brat style shop in Japan. Seem to have the longer flatter seat, blackened rims, tracker or even mini ape hangers and yes Firestone deluxe tires. Even though the Brat style shop really doesnt even use the term "brat" to describe their own builds. They build choppers, bobbers and trackers both with and without fenders.

http://www.bratstyle.com/

For some reason here in the U.S. the Brat style label has stuck.

I think of mine more of an "American brat style" which has evolved into 90% cafe racer, w rearsets and clip ons even though I have kept my comfy Wondergel 2 inch thick seat. Unlike the thin minimally padded torture devices characteristic of both most brat style and cafe seats. and kept my fenders, they were minimal but now they are full size wrappers.

I still call mine a brat style bike. Cause without the traditional rear cowl/fender its not a cafe to me. And im sure cafe builders and enthusiasts would agree.

Djfob said:
There's no real how to. Really just trial and error if it's your first build.

SO this will be my first build where I'm actually modifying the frame and possibly lowering the bike. My last bike was more of a restore and it came out great. This time I'm looking to create something more interesting. You'd think there would be more info on building these things. They do seem to be popping up all over the place.

Here's a drawing to guide you...

77150-200515215020.jpeg

Ok so you want a minimum 4 inch of clearance between the rear tyre and seat pan when shocks are full compressed. You will also want to limit the size of the tyre side wall and use a tyre with a decent tred that will disperse water.

For the seat use 2 inch thick high density foam, that way you can hide the space in the seat pan that allows tyre to frame clearance.

You will want to run a front and rear fender. Front will stop you and your engine being covered in road grime.
Rear will stop you looking like a skunk from the grime stripe that will shoot up your back if you don't have it.

Other than that. Make sure you don't remove any important frame cross braces. They are there to stop the bike flexing.

Well at least that is what I gather from casual reading.

calisoul said:
SO this will be my first build where I'm actually modifying the frame and possibly lowering the bike. My last bike was more of a restore and it came out great. This time I'm looking to create something more interesting. You'd think there would be more info on building these things. They do seem to be popping up all over the place.
why are you considering lowering the bike ?are you actually looking for something to ride often out on the highway and on fun curvy rodes or do you just want a project to fuck around with ?nttawwt

There is no pre-existing "guide" to building a good brat bike. That would take the fun out of customizing. IMHO, modifying/building any style of bike correctly requires learning/understanding about how its all supposed to work and then making informed decisions on the changes you want and the effects they'll have on the overall machine. Most brat bikes seriously compromise functionality for sake of looks.

On this forum and a few others, a "brat" style often represents kinda lazy, ham fisted attempts at lowering the bike, usually doing it the wrong way. It also means, like Yinzer mentioned, a shitty uncomfortable seat (compared to normal) and Emgo bargain pods on the wrong kind of carbs and using tires that are for looks, not street riding. Not you personally Calisoul, but if somebody is building a bike for looks but pretending to be building a bike they think will ride well, they'll get called on it here no doubt.

We've all seen somebody hack a bike up feeling all artsy and groovy about getting their grind on only to realize later they fucked up a decent riding bike trying to achieve a certain look. No need to be that guy. So after typing all that, I dig well done "bratty" bikes too.

(edit) for a laugh, check out : http://www.bikeexif.com/1972-honda-cb350 and make sure to go through the comments.

Back
Top Bottom