CL350 Brambler

Barnburner

Coast to Coast
Hey Everyone,

As it seems like most of these start, I've been lurking around for a while and finally am getting around to starting a build thread. I picked up this CL350 for $600. It was in decent condition and had a title, so that was good enough for me.

Here's a picture of when I picked it up at the PO's

CL350 by RStutzman, on Flickr

Here's some more when I got it home to my apartment.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28163281@N05/5959621359/]
CL350 - Before by RStutzman, on Flickr[/url]

CL350 and C70 by RStutzman, on Flickr

I didn't have a truck to haul it, so I had to rent one from U-Haul. It's not a bad deal, but they really screw you on the mileage and refilling an F150 is expensive. Hopefully by the time I get my next bike for I'll have a truck, or at least a generous truck-owning friend. In the second picture, you can see the CL cozied up with my grocery getter, a 1981 Honda C70 Passport. Here's another photo of the C70.

Grocery Getter by RStutzman, on Flickr

In my next post, I'll share some of the images I've collected as inspiration so hopefully you can see where I'm going.

Thanks for reading!

CL350: The Gentleman's Scrambler

So, I've been thinking about how I want this bike to look for a while now. In my previous post, I said I wanted to inject some "class" into it. By that, I didn't necessarily mean high class - this still is a frickin scrambler. I meant to make the bike look a little bit more timeless. As it stands now, this bike looks like the 70s to me, which is interesting because I never actually lived during the decade. The bulbous accessories, banana-looking seat, and the PO's rattle-can flake silver paint job on the motor are all begging to be toned down. So, that's where I'll start in the looks department. I'm really inspired by Triumph scramblers. They seem to have a very classic look to them while still being performance driven. In particular, I love Hammarhead's stripped down T100 "Jack Pine" and the stock TR6SC. Here's a couple photos of those:

triumph-t100.jpg

1966_Triumph_TR6SC.jpg

I'd also like to simplify the exhaust a bit. I've read about people using JCWhitney straight tips for VW Super Beetles on their CB and CL pipes with some success, so I may go this route. I like the straight pipe look in general. Here are a few scramblers with such exhaust to show what I'm going for. The first is a set of pipes for a Triumph scrambler, not sure who makes them. The second is another set made by JOMO. The Third is a stock CL77 (before the ugly muffler was added).

6001478769_0ab88b1e1e.jpg

6002026670_5b524f4732.jpg

HondaScrambler.jpg

As for performance, I'd like to keep the bike fairly stock. Most of my gains will probably be from dropping unnecessary weight. I'm a thin guy, so having a less than 350 pound bike is very appealing to me. I haven't had a chance to test the compression yet. There seems to be lots of different test gauges for sale online but I'd rather put that money into new parts. Does anyone know of any place (preferably around Cleveland, OH) that will test this fairly cheap (read free)? I was also told by the PO that the left carb leaked - you can see the gas stain in the first post's photos. Since I'm thinking about changing the exhaust, I'd love to throw on some VM28s for easier re-jetting. But until those fall in my lap somehow, I'll probably just boil the stock Keihins and check the diaphragms for rips and the floats for pinholes. I changed the oil, put new spark plugs in, and plan on re-setting the points soon after I order a new set. Anyone else having any suggestions for places to start looking for wear and/or abuse?

So, this build isn't taking place in real time...yet. I bought the bike back in April and have been very busy studying for the Ohio state bar exam, which I just took last week. Now that it's over, I've got lots of time to start wrenching.

That being said, I did have the time to change the bars. I always planned on picking up a pair of tracker bars, but I saw a pair of "M" bars and fell in lust with the lines and the riding position. While I do plan on taking this bike off-road occasionally (my family is from rural Ohio) most of my driving will be through the streets of Cleveland. I may change back to trackers down the road but these are feeling great for now.

5970425849_c9c9b46999_z.jpg

5970426091_678f1d2267_z.jpg

5970425973_638b514702_z.jpg

Re: CL350: The Gentleman's Scrambler

I lived in Cleveland for six years in the early 80s. A scrambler makes the most sense for in town riding. Something light and nimble makes it easier to get around in traffic, find parking, etc. I had a whole slew of different bikes when I lived there, but my "in town" bike was a HD 350 Sprint.
Rider

It seems you have similar inspiration to me, the CL350/450 etc. and Triumph Scrambler are definitely in my mind as I do my GS450 scrambler, but I don't expect it will turn out as well as the ones you have posted...

I got a local mob here (Tranzac) to make me up a pipe which is awesome, so once I get my ignition sorted I should be able to get a move on and get it on the road finally.

I'll be keeping an eye on your build, keen to see how you go...

It seems you're headed in the general direction as myself. I bought this 69' Scrambler in original condition and am beginning to 'clean it up' for city use. Since purchasing it I've changed the bars, smaller signal lights, tail light, new custom seat, removed the front fender and changed grips. Pipes were as is when bought. Next - chunky tires! Check it.
Look forward to any new developments.

Attachments

• 69Scramblerresize.jpg
    69Scramblerresize.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 513

You can borrow a compression gauge from autozone. That's what I did. They will require a deposit.

If you do the compression test yourself, with the ignition killed, hold the throttle wide open and crank 6 revolutions on each cylinder. That is such a great bike in so many ways that if all you do is paint it to fit your tastes, you'll be in great shape.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I've definitely chosen a great bike for the kind of riding I'm doing here in the city. Although she still needs a lot of TLC, I'm not too worried about riding around at moderate speeds and for short distances.

Good looking out on the AutoZone compression gauge, Flugtechnik. I have one about 2 miles away from my apartment (but then again, doesn't everyone).

peteGS, did you have your guy also do the 2-1 collector for your sweet exhaust? I really like the look of Arrow exhausts on Triumph Scramblers and would love to do a similar 2-1 high pipe on my CL.

JackDitch, I'm really digging your bike. Do you have a build thread going yet? The earlier CL tanks have ways better lines than my K3. I also like the new mufflers - something I'm hoping to get to soon before Mods V. Rockers happens here in CLE. Also, did you send your seat out or do it yourself?

Yep, place locally here in Brissie called Tranzac did the pipes, made the whole system front to back, hand made. They do awesome work :D

IMO the guy's a genius. Stupid me left the work iPhone at home as well as the cardboard mock up I did, meaning I had to explain to him using words and gestures what I wanted as he doesn't have internet access in his shed, and he managed to get it exactly how I wanted it.

I was also thinking of the Arrow 2 into 1 as well as the Zard. I like them both although I think the Zard's a little too "modern" for the Trumpy myself...

Barnburner, thought you might like this. it was on pipeburn a while back..... a little more inspiration.

Attachments

• woodycl350-1.jpg
    woodycl350-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 507

Yeah, this is Woody's CL350. It's definitely a head turner with the brat styling and super-cool distressed paintjob. He's actually a member on here (username woody1981). You can check out his build thread here. I actually just replaced my muffler with a pair like his. I'll post some pics of the new pipes soon.

Re: CL350: The Gentleman's Brambler

In my quest for a bit more low-key looking exhaust, I bought these tips on eBay for an old VW Beetle from a seller named Chirco Performance. You can check out the listing here. They were claimed to have a 1 1/2" opening on the wide end and a 1 3/8" opening on the narrow end. Those dimensions must have been ID because they matched the CL's exhaust exactly. Whoops.

EMPI's Finest by RStutzman, on Flickr

To make them fit, I took out my trusty Dremel Multi-Max (highly recommended tool) and put a small cut down the backside of the narrower part. Using a mallet, I gently worked one side of the cut under the other, thus narrowing the end. After this, it fit perfectly and very snug.

I was a little hesitant to do the other one. Technically, this is the first irreversible mod I made to the bike's original parts. I gotta say, though, it felt good to saw off that rusted muffler. After slicing the second tip, I installed it on the cut pipe and put everything back on the bike. Here's the finished product.

New exhaust by RStutzman, on Flickr

Untitled by RStutzman, on Flickr

I will probably end up running a sheet metal screw on each pipe to make sure the tips are in, but for now it works great. They are loud as hell, though. I have a neighbor with a chopper and our bikes sounds scarily similar now. Not wanting to piss off local PD, or permanently damage my hearing, I quickly ordered a set of 4" baffles from eBay. Not wanting to burn my leg, I also ordered a nice long roll of light tan exhaust wrap. Wrapping the pipes weren't exactly my original plan but I'm not a fan of the original heat shield with the new tips and plus my pipes are rusty as hell on 3/4 of the surface.

Rusty Pipe by RStutzman, on Flickr

See what I mean? Anywho, I think it will end up looking kind of cool - sort of a brat-scrambler style, or Brambler (copyright pending). It fits my theme though, cause a gentleman always wraps it up ;D .

Hey Barnburner, bike's going to be great! Keep posting! I'm planning on going on a similar direction with my 73 CL350. I didn't know what to call it either.... Brat-scrambler or "Brambler" is a good call, though! Coincidentally I've got the same ideas for exhaust. The previous owner had welded a car glasspack onto one of my pipes so cutting it up is a no-brainer. Like you, I purchased the Empi VW tips although mine are the straight ones (same diameter all the way through). I also bought 4-inch baffle inserts, thinking they wouldn't have enough baffle on their own. I had the bike running but then stripped it down to the frame and I'm working my way back up and haven't gotten to modifying the exhaust yet. How did your bike run with just the tips on it (besides being super loud)? Was there enough back-pressure to run with the stock jets? How do you plan to combine what you have with the inserts? Very curious to see how it turns out.

Barnburner, i sent the seat out to this guy http://www.saddleshoppe.com/
Stripped it down to the pan and went with 2" foam to slim it out a bit. definitely feel closer to the bike now but not enough to bother me on long rides.

pipes look better, give the bike better lines. have you thought about slimming down some of the other chunkier parts to create some sleek contour? just a thought.

jackditch, I was going to try and upholster a second seat pan I have myself, but the more I see excellent quality work like your seat the more I'm thinking about sending it out. I'm definitely going to slim down the profile, though. I have new turn signals waiting to be put on and I'll likely get a new taillight when I decide what to do about the rear fender. I'm itchin to chop it down a bit but I've seen lots of great looking bikes without them.

adj, I'm just now starting to think about the carbs. I knew I'd be changing the exhaust and intake so I wanted to wait to sort it out. It's definitely running a bit rich and my plugs indicate some dry and wet fouling at this point, which sort of confuses me because I thought increased air flow would make it run lean. I haven't done a compression test or checked the timing, though, so there may be additional issues causing some of that. I'll obviously try and get to those first before pulling the carbs (unless I can find some Mikuni VM28s to play around with first ;D )

Surprisingly enough, I was told by the guy who made my exhaust that with pods and a freer flowing exhaust that he normally sees the pilot circuit run richer if anything, but once into the throttle openings things should change.

If yours is rich at idle or less than 1/4 throttle I guess that makes sense...

Got my 30+ days warning when I went to write this. Wow, I am a negligent poster. Anyways, here is where I am with the Brambler. I have mostly been working on the exhaust, a new seat, and getting the bike running in better condition.

After seeing the amount of rust on my headers, I definitely wanted to wrap them. But I have read lots of posts on here about how wrapping dirty/rusty pipes can lead to more problems later on. So, I decided to give them the best clean that I could. Keeping with the (b)rat theme, I started by cleaning them up with a can of coke, some tin foil, and a brass brush.

Untitled by RStutzman, on Flickr

After pouring the coke on, and letting it foam up and sit on the pipe for a minute or so, I hit it with the brush in a circular motion, getting all of its 2.8 pH, phosphoric acid-y goodness into the particles of iron oxide (sorry, 7th grade science geek moment). After brushing for a couple minutes, the rust started mixing with the coke and forming a brown paste. I just wiped this off with a fresh rag and lo and behold, it was a lot better.

Rust Paste by RStutzman, on Flickr

Here's a before and after.

Before & After Coke Cleaning by RStutzman, on Flickr

They coke worked pretty well imo, although they still weren't clean enough to wrap. So, I got busy with a wire wheel and some steel wool and really cleaned them up. I also drilled pilot holes through the muffler and header, and put in machine screws to ensure a tight fit.

Clean Exhaust by RStutzman, on Flickr

Muffler Screw by RStutzman, on Flickr

After wiping them down with some simple green, then water, then alcohol, I wrapped the pipes with the natural tan colored wrap from muffler to header. I soaked the wrap for about 10 minutes first so it went on really well (though I still wore gloves). After that, I mounted them back up with the side covers for a quick mockup before setting the bike in the elusive Cleveland sun to dry.

CL350 Wrapped Pipes by RStutzman, on Flickr

I would have ran the bike, but my carbs were at the time in pieces on my desk (more on that later). A day or two later, after I finished with the carbs, I ran the bike a bit to make sure they were completely dry. They smoked/steamed a little but not nearly as bad as I've heard from others. I wonder if it's because I used the natural wrap instead of the black fiberglass + silicon spray that most people use.

That's all for now, but lucky for you I've got lots more to write about the next time motivation strikes.

Pipes look great! I think it's a good thing you chose the tips that have that flare in them rather than just straight tips. The wrap makes the exhaust system look bigger and seems to line up perfectly with the tips to make it all look one size from engine to tip. Very nice work so far, keep chipping away at it!

Back
Top Bottom