project stalled (kinda)

Stanwich

yep, i did it. no excuse.
So my project is at a standstill, it got to about here

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 444
but then i bought a house . It was a foreclosure so its been alot of work but for now it came with a little motorcycle bay that i can throw my project in. So off the top of your head what are some essentials you feel need to be in your shop? Im starting from scratch. This will be a dedicated bike shop, luckly there are another 2 bays beside it for the vehicles and a wood shed for the garden stuff. Ive also run big enough wire for a 60 amp panel . The previous owner ran a 6c 14awg and just doubled up on the wires. The rest of the bays are insulated so i might do the same here and am still pondering a little wood stove but space might be an issue. The tool bench that is there is pretty shady so its going to come out. Any thoughts or slick ideas would really be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 439
  • IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 424
Something fun to do other than your tools; arcade machine, darts, etc. Sometimes on a project you need to take a step back, relax and reset when things dont go right. Its also a place for you to go and get away from the other trouble of the world. Make it a nice place.

I also have and suggest a dart board. Also recommend a mini fridge. Reduced trips to the kitchen for liquid patience (beers) can increase productivity by up to 45% (from personal observation).

Screw the games. Get serious. Play time is for children.

Blast cabinet. Welder. Grinder. Saw. Bench grinder. Vise. Tube bender. Motorcycle lift. Air compressor. 1/2 inch impact. Good Hammers. Drills. Wire wheels. Good drill bits. 47 ten mm wrenches.

Make that 47 ten, twelve, and fourteen mm wrenches. If you Kawasaki, add 13mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stanwich said:
The rest of the bays are insulated so i might do the same here and am still pondering a little wood stove but space might be an issue.

That looks like a cool house. Way to go.

Just ignore this if you're familiar with wood stoves. I heat my cabin with one and absolutely love it, but I wouldn't want it in a shop where there are flammable liquids and aerosols. They're also a bit dusty. I'd definitely install one in the house, though.

Drill press, band saw, stereo, impact screwdriver, pry bars, wood blocks, small flat jacks, 3 ft. sheetmetal brake, vibratory tumbler, oven for powdercoat and paint cure, pullers of all types, bearing drivers, engine stand, rolling project cart, wiring supplies and tools, tape, sonic cleaner, electric stapler, rivet gun, bottle jacks for frame repairs, spool stand, upright creeper/rolling chair, pressure washer.

Looks like your space is about 20x20? Plenty of room for a bike shop, but running out of room for arcade games already.

Great place mate great project area too buy or build a bike lift don't know how I managed before mine, a compressor is also a great not just for tyres but paint jobs and blowing crap off stuff :p a good set of spanners n sockets also a decent system to play tunes on cant beat turning spanners to some "gud ole tunes " 8) get the basics then just build it up as and when ya need stuff, don't think a workshop ever gets totally completed ::)

Thanks guys! I agree with the 10mm wrenches. Im thinking of maybe cutting a hole out in the center of the floor for a motorcycle lift to sit flush in , if i can find one that still raises high enough. Were researching a gassifier unit for the house. it should heat about 6000 sqfeet. Youve given me a pretty good list of things to start looking for. Im kinda into vintage tools so ill probably search some auctions and swap meets. I might also throw some insulation in the walls. Right now i just want to get to the point where i can set my bike up . Even if i cant afford to work on it i want to at least be able to appreciate the work ive done so far. The Compressor is a must ! Unfortunately the floors are a little rough. He did a really bad job trying to trowel them. Im not sure how im going to smooth them down or if they even need to be. i would like to roll stuff around though.

Ive been researching the concrete hoping to smooth it myself, i think ill wait till spring though since the temps are dropping below freezing. For now ill probably start planning a good tool bench, Im seeing what i can find around the property for materials. Its 6 acres of canadian forest! Ive also started some yard work to resurrect an old pond that has started to dry up. The neighbour said he used to fish in it , now it just has an old crabby beaver. Its a great watering hole for deer . It gets a little overwhelming with all the projects that need to get done before winter but im sure it will all be worth it when im relaxing in the shop tinkering on the projects. Does anyone have any shop hacks that make there lives easier, its only 14 x 20 so im trying to design ideas that save space.

Looks like a pretty decent space. Cant really tell from the pic what the work bench in there is like but it might only need some more legs to make it strong enough (??).

Compressor is very handy (impact wrench, die grinder, and just a nozzle for removing grips, general stuff). 6 or 8" bench grinder with a grinding wheel on one side and a wire wheel on the other (just make sure you wear goggles). Variable speed drill press (and decent drill bits). And general screwdrivers, spanners, sockets, allen keys, etc.

A lift is nice but not essential - my garage has fairly low joists and I often use ratchet straps to lift bikes up. Unless you're working on a Goldwing they should be strong enough.

Welders and sheet metal stuff is nice but not really necessary unless you really want to do custom fab work - if you're just wanting to tinker with your bikes you won't really need any of that stuff.

And a heat gun - very handy for heating up metal parts to paint / fast drying. Also handy for softening rubber manifolds / air box rubbers (you'd be amazed how much easier this makes re-fitting carbs on a 4 cyl bike).

yep agree with the heat gun great for removing stickers & anything rubber especially tyres ;) haven't fit new tyre rubber without softening up with me heat gun first :p space is always a premium for most of us on here :-[ one way to keep space is put stuff away if it aint been used hang things on walls and make use of any overhead space ya got if you get a bike lift / table when its up with ya build on it you can store parts etc underneath ::) heres a couple of pics of my shoe box and I gotta get three bikes in here too :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• IMAG0482.jpg
    IMAG0482.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 367
  • IMAG0444.jpg
    IMAG0444.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 370
I'll suggest instead of a radio get a small computer like a chromebox. Not that much more money and you can also use it to research when you hit a problem, quickly reference pictures when putting something back together, run spreadsheets for costs, etc.

Mine is a lifesaver all the time.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I definately agree with the computer! The wifii reaches to the shop so im pretty happy with that. I do love to fabricate so the welder will be added. I think i can keep a couple things like compressor and welder in the garage next to it and run the wiring and hoses through the wall. Man yorkie you know how to put space to good use. The bench i have is going to the wood pile and ill start another from scratch. Theres some old cabinets and stands in the garage i might be able to salvage. Hopefully this weekend i can spare a little time to see what i can save and reuse. ill also try to figure out how much weight the trusses can handle for things like a a little hand crane. Thanks everyone for all the tips! Hopefully my next picture is of my bike up on the workbench!

You need to hang the cheerleader calendar of your football team or equivalent and post every month her pic. Mine this year was the Vikings only because I met two of them at Millvile and had it signed hahaah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom