Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

Hey mate, doing a few bits and bobs, will have a few piccies up soon I hope.

OK, so it's brakes time! Best make sure this thing will stop.. if it ever actually goes...

_MG_1927.jpg

_MG_1929.jpg

_MG_1935.jpg

_MG_1941.jpg

_MG_1943.jpg

I am curious about the cable attachment hardware when that's complete, why did you decide to show off the master cylinder in that location vs hiding it under the tank?

MiniatureNinja said:
why did you decide to show off the master cylinder in that location vs hiding it under the tank?

I just thought it looked cool. Goes with the 'exposed mechanically bits' kind of ethos...

Brake lines and indicator mounted (Not indicators... only one done so far)! Indicator mounts courtesy of me ol' Dad and his mate with a lathe. Pretty much only number plate mount, control cables, tank and electrics to go!

_MG_2937.jpg

_MG_2927.jpg

_MG_2932.jpg

_MG_2933.jpg

So I've been making slow progress for the last little while, just a few little bits here and there to get everything together. Getting all the control cables made up at the moment and getting Dad onto sorting out the electrics.

Also made a start on the fuel tank yesterday - a neighbour dropped off a few old tanks he'd butchered to use as battery covers for an electric bike he was making, and thought I could use them. Which threw a bit of a spanner in the works because I quite liked the shape of one of them. So I decided to try and re-butcher it into something I can use. The tank had the bottom cut out of it, and was too small anyway, so I've made a new base and am in the process of attempting to make it larger but keep the same general shape... we'll see how it goes!

_MG_3202b.jpg

_MG_3203b.jpg

_MG_3220.jpg

_MG_3224.jpg

_MG_3230.jpg

Nice man, looking killer.

Wondering about the muffler to ground clearance, how you gonna take right turns? :eek:

advCo said:
Wondering about the muffler to ground clearance, how you gonna take right turns? :eek:

Heh, it's not as bad as it looks. The pegs hit quite a bit before the muffler does, it's actually relatively tucked-under and pivots pretty well over the centre-line (not quite obviously, but enough... well, should be anyway)...

It's a hardtail anyway. Not meant to be a carver. You're better off than me, if you're making it to the pegs. I'm at 4" on my hardtail, which is about the minimum to get halfway decent lean. Though I have hit humps over sidewalks and such coming in and out of parking lots and gas stations. Nothing major.

Nice work on the whole thing. Love the hard line front brake.

_MG_2937.jpg

Is something I considered for my own build, since the bike comes stock with a cable actuated front mc which is now located on the bridge of my Hossack fork. In the end I decided I didn't want to blow money on the hardware (or really know what was needed, though another builder filled me in on that eventually - I think their solution matches what you did). I also decided I liked the look of my 1980's era spring wrapped hoses.

Do you have any easy way of dealing with pulling the brakes off when needed, or is it just gonna be a matter of careful handling? That seemed another possible sticking point, and given I've done field repairs (read bodge) like pulling off a caliper and strapping it to the bridge of the fork with a wrench holding the pads apart (done because the caliper was locking up), I probably went the right way for my ratty / abusive tendencies, but it is still an intriguing idea, and now I need to fax that sticky caliper anyhow...

Back
Top Bottom