sportster 883 vs. 75 cb500t

hansimusmaximus

theoretically speaking, what would win in a flat out drag race. a stock 98 sportster 883 or a 75 cb500t? i'm asking because i have the honda and my bro has the sportster. i've never had anything faster than what he has. he's always had the faster car, snowmobile, dirtbike, beat me in a 5k running race blah blah blah.

so, 'in theory', who'd win?

ps. we are both about 155lbs. if it matters :p

Go find out and tell us! Don't forget the pics and youtube video for posterity!

My money would be on the sportster, but you'll look better on the 500t so you win anyhow.

You'll still be runner up to your brother. The Sportster will beat your 500.

you could lower the gearing on you honda and drop in a hot cam. you have to hate the fact that the sportster is a "girls" bike and it would beat you. I don't want to get in any arguments over harley's there just not my cup of tea.

Who is the better rider? my bet is on the Honda. (I love to kick Harley butt with my xs 650 but I have a 70 hp motor in it and the harleys
always start f##king with me) ;D

Funny, I have lots of harley's around Columbus trying to race me too. Is it a xs650 thing? I love flying by a group of harley's on the freeway like they're sitting still just laying on my gas tank. My biggest competition around town right now are all the import-tuners (mainly Hondas) that want to race me at stoplights. Seems like I get a couple a day. Needless to say I'm undefeated. :)

joe

Must just be a 650 thing, cause I get it on my kz650 a lot too. The only Hardley that's given me fits was a Vrod, and he only just barely got the best of me. Once I get the cafe transformation finished up (with bigger carbs and better ignition) I'm gonna go find him again and take him down a peg. ;D

anarki650 said:
Must just be a 650 thing, cause I get it on my kz650 a lot too. The only Hardley that's given me fits was a Vrod, and he only just barely got the best of me. Once I get the cafe transformation finished up (with bigger carbs and better ignition) I'm gonna go find him again and take him down a peg. ;D

There used to be that show "Pinks" were they ran a bone stock 83 Suzuki GS1100E vs a modified Vrod.... the Zook won :) I fear no harley on my GS ;D

well we ran 'em. i pulled away pretty well until i hit third gear and stopped pulling away. by the time i hit fourth i was still ahead but he was slowly gaining on me. i was still ahead when i let off at around 80mph. not bad for a bike that's over 30 years old!

hansimusmaximus said:
well we ran 'em. i pulled away pretty well until i hit third gear and stopped pulling away. by the time i hit fourth i was still ahead but he was slowly gaining on me. i was still ahead when i let off at around 80mph. not bad for a bike that's over 30 years old!

80mph is all you guys took it up to??? Of course this forum is called Do The Ton, but that just sounds weird to me. My last race rep (gixxer 1k) was electronically limited to 185 (which I promptly removed soon after purchase)! 80mph on a gixxer was almost like puttering around! :D Even the Buell XB12R I just sold was a 140mph bike. Yes, it had a HD derived lump... 1203 cc and 102 hp, which unceremoniously ran out of steam at 7krpms.. I sold it cause it just wasn't as inspiring as a Japanese in-line howling at 14k rpms! :)

I am late on this subject but could not resist....I owned both the 883 and the 1200 sportster. I have also owned Japanese nakeds/sportbikes/cruisers. the Harleys were a "phase" I was going thru......the Harley V-Twins are torquey, as inlines are more "top end". I believe as one guy said, the 250 Rebel beat the 883, as one time I was joking with a girl on a 250 ninja. The whole time I enjoyed the g-string and cool lower back tat she had, as I never got by her!!! I tried it with my 1200 sporty, and faired no better. I know the motors by compression are different, trannies, redlines etc, but my 1200 sporty used to run side by side with a guy on a mid 80's 450 Rebel, and he kept up all day........ I paid more for each of my new sportsters w/accessories (both 1989 models), than I did for my last cruiser, a 2005 Yamaha Vstar 1100 Custom. I owned 2 Honda CB700SC, an 84 & 86, and loved messing with the Harley guys with Bore Kits, and toying with a guy who has 600 more C.C's and 10-12 grand more in their machine. My friend has a 79 750 Super Sport, with an 833 Bore Kit, and that thing is a beast!!!!!!! Since recently getting into cafe's (pre-1980), I am impressed with what I have seen some of the small machines do. My current money pit is a 79 CB650 cafe build, and with the stock engine rebuild, and stripping it down of all excess metal, cutting frame down etc....it kicks ass!! I wish I would have done this years ago. I have sold all my other bikes...."Built not Bought" from now on!! I'm impressed with the guys here that take the old 250, 350, 450, 500cc machines and make them screamers...you guys know where the real fun is!!!! Should have bet your brother.......

xs650joe said:
Funny, I have lots of harley's around Columbus trying to race me too. Is it a xs650 thing? I love flying by a group of harley's on the freeway like they're sitting still just laying on my gas tank. My biggest competition around town right now are all the import-tuners (mainly Hondas) that want to race me at stoplights. Seems like I get a couple a day. Needless to say I'm undefeated. :)
joe

You have to laugh out loud at the ricers when they think they're gonna get you light to light. Vtec inside won't beat crazy on the seat. ;D Most days, that is.

loudest143
*vintmoto mojo

my bud's crossbones 1600 always beats my 750 off the line but i catch him shortly after and pass him everytime.

The traveling HD Dyno Shootouts are the best way to see how clueless HD riders generally are to the performance capabilities of Japanese in-lines. The looks and comments from the denim and leather crowd (when ETs are posted) is quite amusing. The operators won't even let HDs run against sport bikes. Too embarrassing, I guess. The guy who bought my XB12R emailed me to say a rider on some kind of geezer glide tried to race him out on a highway and blew up his hog. He said the guy's bike puked oil all over the highway! I fucking love it!!! Nothing like seeing a HD blow up during the Dyno Shootouts, either! HA! :D

Years ago I was at Phillip Island, race track down here in Australia off of the South Coast. Anyway, it was for the world Superbikes. We camped there and the nights got pretty wild with unofficial burnout comps etc. In one of these a Harley owner decided he could do better than the jap bikes and after lots of big mouthing on his part he gave it a go. He put the front wheel up against a wall and let it rip. Heaps of noise and smoke and everyone yelling to keep it going, trouble was the rear wheel wasn't moving at all, it was all clutch. 3 or 4 minutes of this before he finally realised..... Very funny :)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom