CB Blues

Represto

Over 1,000 Posts
I was riding home from Queen/Carlaw and my bike shit the bed. I knew I had some cam chain issues but I thought it was an mid summer issue. Something that I could put off for a bit. Not so much. I was riding along and felt a bit of a clunk and then a complete loss of drive. I pulled over, had myself a little cry, and then called Loco.

'Noel...I broke my bike. Cam chain snapped and now I'm up the creek."

Luckily, he knew a friendly less than a block away who let me park my bike in his lot. Once again, Noel saved my ass. And Mike, who lent me a chunk of safe parking...and then lessened my walk of shame by driving me to my local bar.

I'm a few too many beers in now and in need of possibly a new engine. Does anyone have an extra 78 Cb550 kickin' around?

Support me.

damn man, that sucks.

I've had 1 engine blow on the highway and NOT seize... and had one blow on the highway and seize.... not fun either way.

Good luck on getting it on the road soon.

Count your blessings. You didn't wreck, your limbs are still attached, and you didn't pull out your revolver and put a bullet through the crankcase. Many or all of these things could have occurred. ;D Sincerely, glad you are okay, and that you've got good friends.

78 550, right? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

loudest143

I am not sure, but could you transplant a 750 mill into your frame? I have an engine that has been sittin for a long time, not sure how it runs, and carbs for it that are cleaned up and not used since. Actually I have a frame and most of the front end left, have a back swing arm too.....maybe you could really mix the two together????

Bike of my dream, things aren't as bad as they seeeeeem.

My ride is now in the loving hands of Tony, the official mechanic of DTT. When the bike broke down on me, the kickstart just spun freely...and there was that awful noise. However, when Tony and I grabbed the bike with the trailer, the kickstart actually turned the engine. Didn't turn it on and kick it over yet...but it looks like it might not be as bad as I originally expected.

I thought it was the cam chain because it's been an issue for a while now. That shit is loud and won't snap into place tightly any more. It had been slotted for an end of season repair. When I did my last oil change, there was a lot more metal flakes in there than usual...so I had visions of my cam chain just buzz sawing through.

I was also trying out some seafoam in the crankcase for the first time. I had put it in earlier that day and had only run the bike maybe 5 km's with it in.

Like I said, Tony has it now and should get back to me sometime today as to what's wrong.

Represto said:
I was riding home from Queen/Carlaw and my bike shit the bed. I knew I had some cam chain issues but I thought it was an mid summer issue. Something that I could put off for a bit. Not so much. I was riding along and felt a bit of a clunk and then a complete loss of drive. I pulled over, had myself a little cry, and then called Loco.

'Noel...I broke my bike. Cam chain snapped and now I'm up the creek."

Luckily, he knew a friendly less than a block away who let me park my bike in his lot. Once again, Noel saved my ass. And Mike, who lent me a chunk of safe parking...and then lessened my walk of shame by driving me to my local bar.

I'm a few too many beers in now and in need of possibly a new engine. Does anyone have an extra 78 Cb550 kickin' around?

Support me.

i saw your bike parked at carlaw , below dundas, i live 2 minutes from there, you really should stay out of my neighborhood, or next time it will be worse than a cam chain,know what i mean?
////////

sorry to hear about your troubles,

Represto said:
Bike of my dream, things aren't as bad as they seeeeeem.

My ride is now in the loving hands of Tony, the official mechanic of DTT. When the bike broke down on me, the kickstart just spun freely...and there was that awful noise. However, when Tony and I grabbed the bike with the trailer, the kickstart actually turned the engine. Didn't turn it on and kick it over yet...but it looks like it might not be as bad as I originally expected.

I thought it was the cam chain because it's been an issue for a while now. That shit is loud and won't snap into place tightly any more. It had been slotted for an end of season repair. When I did my last oil change, there was a lot more metal flakes in there than usual...so I had visions of my cam chain just buzz sawing through.

I was also trying out some seafoam in the crankcase for the first time. I had put it in earlier that day and had only run the bike maybe 5 km's with it in.

Like I said, Tony has it now and should get back to me sometime today as to what's wrong.

I wouldn't be riding my bike w/ seafoam in the case. Not a real good idea. Glad to here your o.k. and I hope your bike is better of than opriginally expected. Take care, Louis

Ya...I don't even know why I put it in. Heard so many mixed opinions. Some saw the stuff is wonderful and some say it's devil juice. I'm not sure if it was the cause of the issue or not, but I'm already regretting putting the stuff in.

Re: CB Blues (items for sale to raise funds)

So I heard back from Tony. The cam chain DID break. It's fucked. There is a plan but I won't be coming out to tomorrows ride.

I need to raise funds so I'll be seeling off a set of RAASK CB550 rearsets for $220 obo.
GQQRERA.jpg

I'm also thinking about selling my 1962 Framus Strato De Lux. It's just like this guitar. Notice the spring loaded volume swell pinky lever.
p1_uapj15zfr_st.jpg

BUT It's in 60's bakelite-like slut red...
1-034-034735-Framus-Strato-Deluxe.jpg

I still gotta price out the Framus but I'm taking offers.

I got a lead on one right now so I think I'm all set...unless Tony opens it up to find raccoons living in it. Even then, we might be able to evict them.

How much $$ is the one you have/know of?

I have a bunch of spare 550 parts you can have for............................................FREEI am shure i have what you need to get her up and running heck i even have a cam chain.all you need to get is a gasket kit and that was like $80 from sci in kitchner. let me know you can't beat the price the only thing i don't have is a good crank. cheers chris ;)

Dont know where you are in the world you are but I would love to work out a deal, I've got a 550 that had plug left out in the rain for an unknow amount of time.its the whole bike minus title. It definatly wouldnt be a swap in but it should have enough metal to swap into your mill for a runner.. Im guessing your not near cincinnati??? mdurham002@cinci.rr.com My .02$

This is all taking place in Toronto, for those with CB550 engine bits :)

i do have a 550 engine, never did anything with it because the pistons are rusted to the cylinders, but the head is in good shape if you need it, would be cheaper to ship the head than the engine anyway but its yours for shipping $

Back
Top Bottom