KZ1000 Custom Project

travisvisual

DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey Everyone,

I was just given this KZ1000 with the suspension swap conversion. I believe its from a GSXR? Can anyone help identify what the swing arm and front forks/triple are from? The original owner has passed and I have no idea what was really done. Just know i have a full sub frame to weld/fab.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 283
I agree. Either Zx636 or Zx10 pieces. Bike appears to have started out as a Police bike due to the welded on loops where the new shifter is located.

Later, Doug

Good to know, I will base my first searches off of that, thank you! Yes it was originally a police bike, need to move back the shifter to a rear-set type of setup. But first i need to figure out if it even runs!

I am not sure if the tank is stock, i dont think it is. Any ideas?

tank is definitely not stock. Looks like a cool project. First thing I would check is to see if there is gas in the oil. Those carbs have no overflow, so if the petcock/fuel needle leaks it goes straight into the engine. Kawi may have changed that on the later model years, but for sure on the early ones its common if its been sitting.

doc_rot - thanks for the tip, i will be checking that first then. Anything else like that I should be aware of?

Thats the only thing i would check before firing it off. Gas in the oil will trash your engine real quick. What are your plans for the bike?

Might be a stretch, but my inspiration is coming from this build. Half the work is already done (i hope) not really sure what the original builder/owner hand in mind but I dont think this was it. Forward controls were added as well as that bobber style tank. I want to add a clean rear tail, new tank that fits the body lines and clean up the odd ends of the bike. Really not looking forward to taking it apart for frame painting though. :-[

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.15.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.15.04 PM.png
    958.2 KB · Views: 242
travisvisual said:
Might be a stretch, but my inspiration is coming from this build. Half the work is already done (i hope) not really sure what the original builder/owner hand in mind but I dont think this was it. Forward controls were added as well as that bobber style tank. I want to add a clean rear tail, new tank that fits the body lines and clean up the odd ends of the bike. Really not looking forward to taking it apart for frame painting though. :-[

that looks like something good to aim for.

Your bike looks really low, I'm sure the flat front tire is making it look worse but the shorter forks and small wheels will cause a lot of height to be lost. These bikes didn't have very good lean clearance to start with, lowering them significantly makes it that much worse.

Thats a good point, Havent had a chance to really start on it yet. Just finished up my first build which is a lot smaller...

Maybe larger rims would help, need to do a bit of research and figure out which hubs I can use. I read someone used Ducati sport classic rims, only down side is that they are heavy.

Doc-rot - Your KZ build is awesome btw! Amazing work, didn't realize it but I am pretty sure I saw it at the 1 moto show now when I think back.

travisvisual said:
Thats a good point, Havent had a chance to really start on it yet. Just finished up my first build which is a lot smaller...

Maybe larger rims would help, need to do a bit of research and figure out which hubs I can use. I read someone used Ducati sport classic rims, only down side is that they are heavy.

Doc-rot - Your KZ build is awesome btw! Amazing work, didn't realize it but I am pretty sure I saw it at the 1 moto show now when I think back.

Thanks man, I did show the kz1000 at the one moto this year.

The problem you are going to run into with a larger rim is contact with the header. I have seen it first hand on a "custom" KZP that I was asked to make ride-able. It took a set of custom drop triples from cognito moto to sort it out.

Short USD forks create a lot of problems on these bikes, plus the stock triples on most modern bikes do not have enough offset to keep the trail numbers down so the bike turns slowly. more like a chopper than a racer at that point

Back
Top Bottom