Krylon Fusion Paint?

4eyes

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Has anyone tried Krylon's Fusion spray-bombs to paint motorcycle plastics?

If not does anyone have a go-to paint that works well? Yes I have a compressor and paint guns, so either/or on the spray-bombs.

Never painted biker parts, yet, but I have some plastic outdoor chairs that are going on 3 years painted and still looking great.

Commonly used to paint RC aircraft. I've never used it but a lot of people do - they coat foam-based aircraft in packing tape, and then rough that with 400 grit sandpaper. The paint goes on over that.

I'd say test it on something not essential, but otherwise go for it!

Cheers - boingk

Maritime said:
Never painted biker parts, yet, but I have some plastic outdoor chairs that are going on 3 years painted and still looking great.
Same here, no bike parts but the couple of plastic ornaments I painted are outdoors year round in a horrible climate (snow, salt, rain, etc.) and not even a nick.

It works well. Prep is still the key. A LIGHT scuff with a scotchbrite pad and degrease with wax and grease remover.

I have used it on several dirt bike plastics and a helmet, works great. But like reinhard said, prep is the key.

COOL!
Prep is the key for any paintwork. ;) Do they make a clearcoat for it or does it gloss pretty good without?

Clearcoat it. Always. Any spraypaint job needs a good solid layer of clear to help it stand up against the elements.

Its great... For a rattle can. Though if you have proper paint equipment, why not do it right? Not givin' ya a hard time, just wondering.

i dont know abotu him but cleaning the guns filtering and mixing the paint, can be a pain in the ass sometimes... that is why i rattle can whenever i can get away with it and do not use the guns

Oh, I hear ya Joe. But the end result will ALWAYS be better. I rattlecan my stuff, but only because Im not yet setup for proper painting. Once I am though, its how Ill do everything. One of those, "whats your time worth" deals. In the end, Id rather spend the time and energy and have a better looking, longer lasting, mure durable paint job. Thats all.

have to dissagree bud... paint does not know it is being shot out of a can or gun... it is all in the prep... only diff is you can mix your paints and add flex, hardener, etc to allow for the paint to cure on your time rather than what the can says... but that is really the only benifit i get form laying paint with the guns over can... sure two stage paints are shot out of a gun but with 2k clear rattle can that takes that need out... i for one HATE to clean my guns they are a PITA to clean... the spray pattern can also be adjusted that part is nice but some of the new cans have wide spray patterns. what else do you think is better about gun vs can?

I gotta agree with Joe on this one. For small jobs it just makes sense to rattle can.

There is a difference in the material in a rattle can and the paint you can use with a gun. Nobody can tell me that Duplicolor or whatnot is as good as PPG or a similar product.

I've used k. fusion on dirt bike plastics as well as several projects around the house and so far it's holding up great.

Back
Top Bottom