John Surtees' Knighthood

Real cool beans 8)
just added my name to petition, #5,335
I would have done it sooner if I'd know about it
I grew up reading about John Surtees (my old man had a collection of motorcycle magazines from mid 50's)
Never met him but believe he is still one of the best ambassador's of motorcycling and motorsport in general, plus, he still rides

Definitely deserving of the honor. But I have never understood how people are chosen. I mean elton john was knighted but eric clapton isn't? ??

I was extremely priveleged to be at a special private dinner party arranged for motoring dignatories prior to the Innes Ireland Memorial Rally.

Amongst those present were Carroll Shelby, Sir Jack Brabham, Roy Salvadori, Sir Stirling Moss, Brooks and John Surtees. There were two motoring journalists whose magazine had paid for the soiree - and myself - who had organised the cars for the celebrities. In their own company they were all extremely down to earth and the stories were mind blowing. None more so than John Surtees, whose tales of 2 and 4 wheeled exploits were riveting.

Even though I was essentially an interloper he was gracious enough to include me in the conversations [ as were they all ]. Yep, if ever a man was deserving of such an award - he's the guy.

BC. You certainly mix with the hoity toity of racing. From what I've heard the cream of the crop tend to be very human and modest of their achievements. They tend to be so good that what they do is "normal" to them. But I do agree that if anyone is deserving of such an honor that man would be John Surtees. But from what little I've read about him he is a down to earth person and such an honor is not something he would seek. By the same token I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down were if offered.

cyclefreak said:
Definitely deserving of the honor. But I have never understood how people are chosen. I mean elton john was knighted but eric clapton isn't? ??
Politics, The Rolling Stones, The Who etc have contributed more to the music industry than Sir Lard Arse, but they have no political leanings. Yes to Sir John.

Hoofhearted said:
BC. You certainly mix with the hoity toity of racing. From what I've heard the cream of the crop tend to be very human and modest of their achievements. They tend to be so good that what they do is "normal" to them. But I do agree that if anyone is deserving of such an honor that man would be John Surtees. But from what little I've read about him he is a down to earth person and such an honor is not something he would seek. By the same token I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down were if offered.

Hoof - through my "day job" designing and manufacturing Replica, Race and Specialty cars for the past 40 odd years, I have been very fortunate to get to know some of the motoring "Royalty" of my era. I found - without exception - these guys were completely different in private to their public persona. All very much down to earth, and when they all got together without the press or public being around - they were just like "us". I have a whole bunch of tales from these guys, to be made public after their passing [ with their permission ! ].

BTW guys, don't forget that John Surtees was awarded the OBE in 1959 and the MBE in 2008 - for services to Racing and Charity. He would probably value them more than a Knighthood.

The pic below shows Roy Salvadori, Carroll, Tony Brooks, Sir John Adcock and a certain Beachcomber on the RAM stand prior to the Inness Ireland Black Tie dinner and the following night - the private soiree, which was also attended by Surtees and Sir Jack Brabham.

The next day over 3000 cars started from the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham for a Rally drive down to Silverstone Race Circuit for the actual Innes Ireland Memorial.

Speaking of Royalty - the bottom pic is of HRH Prince Michael of Kent GCVO [ a REAL petrolhead !!! ] having just got out from giving my Cob [ background ] a serious thrash. His language on describing the experience was very un-Royal like !!!

His minder [ red coat ] stopped me from taking a pic of Prince Michael driving my car - what a publicity shot that would have been for my company !! By Royal Approval ???

img129.jpg

Back
Top Bottom