rear tire keeps popping the tube

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I know its not a café bike, but a spoked wheel is a spoked wheel right? I have a 2006 dr650 that I recently had a shinko 244 mounted on the back at a local motorcycle shop. The next morning the tire was flat. I called them up and they figured that they may have accidentally pinched the tube putting it in, they apologized and this morning mounted a new tube in the tire (free of charge). I mounted the wheel back up this morning and took off on some adventures. About 10 miles north of the house I went around a turn and about dumped the bike. Came to a stop (still shiney side up thankfully) and saw that the rear tire had slid off the bead. So evidently something is going wrong with the new tire. It never went flat with the old one at all.

Do any of yall more experienced guys have any pointers on what to look for once I get the tire pulled off again? Seems like something is amiss being as it hadn't happened until the new tire got mounted.

Thanks!!

cyclefreak said:
No holes in the rim strip?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I cant say that im sure of that. I didn't see it dismounted either time. I just dropped it off to be changed out per the usual lol

Only things I can think of would be the rim strip, or they pinched the tube again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There's a few things.
There could be something in the tire, a small piece of metal from the shop for instance. The tire should be cleaned out.

They may not have put enough pressure in it to fully seat the bead, it need to be aired to 50+ and then aired back town to ride pressure in my experience. More if it's a really stiff tire.

Could also be a hole in the rim strip or a loose spoke poking through.

What tire pressure are you running?

If I were you I'd pull the tire and run my hand all around inside feeling for sharp stuff.

And for God's sake change your own tires ;D
I can change my beemer tire in about 10 minutes. The Dr is the same. You just need 3 or 4 motion pro spoons and you're good to go.

Also call and ask them what was wrong with the first tube. They should be able to tell what killed it, be it a pinch flat or a puncture in the middle, inside, outside etc

Put some air in the old tube if they've still got it and see where the hole is

SONIC. said:
Also call and ask them what was wrong with the first tube. They should be able to tell what killed it, be it a pinch flat or a puncture in the middle, inside, outside etc

Put some air in the old tube if they've still got it and see where the hole is

that's the weird part. I did see the first tube.. he showed it to me, sprayed it down with soapy water and everything and no leaks that we could see at all. The first one when it went flat took over 24 hrs to lose about 15 psi, which isn't super rapid to me. This one today though went flat in about 6 hrs and 70 miles of riding

SONIC. said:
I can change my beemer tire in about 10 minutes. The Dr is the same. You just need 3 or 4 motion pro spoons and you're good to go.

I can't, for the life of me, change a tire with a rim lock without pinching a tube. I do it every. single. time. Any other tire, I change them. But with rim locks- no effin way. He doesn't have rim locks, but still.

SONIC. said:
There's a few things.
There could be something in the tire, a small piece of metal from the shop for instance. The tire should be cleaned out.

They may not have put enough pressure in it to fully seat the bead, it need to be aired to 50+ and then aired back town to ride pressure in my experience. More if it's a really stiff tire.

Could also be a hole in the rim strip or a loose spoke poking through.

What tire pressure are you running?

If I were you I'd pull the tire and run my hand all around inside feeling for sharp stuff.

haha I didn't see this reply, just the second one. The local shop is and always has been really good to me. They charge me $10 to change the tires (+the cost of the tube). Ive just been to lazy to wrestle with spoons for that price and they usually mount them while im there. I cant count how many they've done for me and this is the first issue that ive had to date, and im thinking this one wasn't really their fault.

I don't know if they aired it up to 50 or so then let it back down, but I was running right at 30 psi both times. the tire says 33 psi max, and ive been mostly on road, so I didn't run it super low for offroad stuff

I will definitely check out the things you said tomorrow. I guess ill have to do it myself with spoons since they are closed on Saturdays. Thanks for the info man!

This happened to me on my mountain bike. Thats when I found out what a rim strip was. The reason it was going flat was because it didn't have a rim strip installed :eek: Before you take everything off, mark in one spot the tire, rim and tube. That way, when and if you find a hole in the tube, you can see where it corresponds with the tire and wheel and see whats going on in that area. Hope that makes sense?

But there's a new valve on each tube.
I'm thinking it's just coincidence.

And for 10 bucks I'd likely let them do it too. Every shop near me charges 40-50 bucks per tire it's absurd.

I offered to pay them double the shop rate hourly to change my tires. They declined because it takes 5 minutes and they charge essentially 500 bucks an hour to change a tire. I asked how this was fair or even legal when they have a "shop rate is $75/hr" sign hanging directly over the guy's head. Ended up in an argument with the manager and haven't been back since. Assbags.

I had one of my tires lose pressure once. It turned out to be an o-ring in the valve stem cap. Was supposed to keep dirt and water out, but when I tightened the cap, it squished the ring enough to depress the valve slightly letting the air out slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Not sure what was going on with the first two tubes. The second one looked pinched. There were 4 holes in the tube right in line on the tube. I thoroughly inspected the wheel and tire and found nothing. I stuck a new tube in myself, inflated it to 60 lbs. To seat the bead, backed it of to 30 and it's been sitting at that pressure for 24+ hrs and 100 miles, about a quarter of that riding rough of road terrain.

In other news, the old pig is a little heavy, and I couldn't quite make it to the top of the muddy hill on the old lass. Nothing broken though besides my ego, and I'm left with a knot on my right knee the size of a baseball haha

687384f17d4896ede8f7383f8b73bcda.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You missed my stop, drop and roll demonstration at Thaw. It was great.

Sometimes i have to go up to 70 psi and pound my tires with a sledge hammer to seat them fully. You'll know by the sound when they are done!

Yep, I put a bunch of air in them and then bounce them up and down real hard and it does the trick.

I'm jealous of that DR. Awesome little (comparatively haha) bikes.

Yeah the dr is a fun bike, just a bit heavy for the terrain yesterday. Some of it my buddy on his crf450r was having a hard time making it through, let alone the heavier dr650 ha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom