Any BMW experts?

Loctite77

Yeah Son!
I've been wanting one for a while. I found this advertised locally for 2,000. Seems like a pretty good deal based on what I have seen. Am I wrong? It's an 83 r/80 RT with 79000 miles. I haven't seen it in person but when I do what should I look for in this model? Am I looking at an engine rebuild with that high mileage?
18703694f35170394274f01f7fa6df5a.jpg

Yeah Son!

Not bad, motor is iffy but not scary as clean as the rest is it's likely well taken care of.

You could get a good chunk back selling all the plastic bolt ons... dat color tho :-X

I really like the R80, much smoother than the R100.
79,000 miles is nothing if it's been looked after, just about run in.
Servicing's a doddle, except the carbs, which are a bit of a black art to do properly.
The questions I would ask are, have the valve seats have been replaced, if not it'll need leaded fuel, or an additive. Also why the original fairing has been replaced.
Just check the same things when buying any bike.
BTW make sure you use GL5 when replacing the gearbox/shaft oil.

Attachments

• P1010233.jpg
    P1010233.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 153
I suspect that the bike is a "naked" or Standard that came without fairing. It's not an R80 RT. Looks more like a 1980 R80 The black fairing is a Vetter Windjammer of some sort.

teazer said:
I suspect that the bike is a "naked" or Standard that came without fairing. It's not an R80 RT. Looks more like a 1980 R80 The black fairing is a Vetter Windjammer of some sort.

I bet that's the case. I think the rt said so on the side panel.

Yeah Son!

My 2 pens is less attractive :-[ It was an R80, but smashed the front end hens the color and jamvetter nose job... the bags are on backwards also ::) I never seen that color in Germany let alone on a beamer haha :-X

This IS beamer blue

hqdefault.jpg

I agree. The color is yuck. I would hope to get it for 1500 and then sell the bags and faring for 500 or so. Then I'd have 1000 in a good start to a build. I'd paint it anyway and probably sell the wheels too and put spokes wheels on it. I want to do a cream and brown scrambler.

Yeah Son!

Loctite77 said:
I agree. The color is yuck. I would hope to get it for 1500 and then sell the bags and faring for 500 or so. Then I'd have 1000 in a good start to a build. I'd paint it anyway and probably sell the wheels too and put spokes wheels on it. I want to do a cream and brown scrambler.

Yeah Son!

Good plan!

& /7 is stumping me but yeah if 7 ata 10

Nothing wrong with a /7 or an argument. Just pointing it out for the OP. I think there is only a /7 in the R80 config. If it's an RT, it should be an R100.

Back
Top Bottom