Engine inspiration thread!

Re: Re: Engine inspiration thread!

JRK5892 said:
quad do not use 1200 on these motors it simply does not get hot enough in operation to cure the paint to a final cure and it will always be very very fragile and will chip like mad, use the 500* use a very light coat of primer, and then base coat it, i do not typically like to use the clear high temps as they just tend to flake, bleach, and chip... i did a full write up a while back on painting a motor if you want to search my name and that. let me know if i can help.... i like to use an engine cleaner, then non clorine brake cleaner to clean up the motors for paint, super easy and really works great

Yeah I knew it wouldn't cure from engine heat but I have a heat gun that reaches 1375F that I was going to go through the heat cycles with. I also choose the vht flameproof because the red they had plus the clear gave it just about the same red as my frame. I'll try looking more for a closer red in the engine enamel. I only used engine cleaner, brake cleaner, and a rifle bore cleaner brush along with the red scotch brite pads.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well this thread gave me inspiration to do my own motor hopefully mine can give someone else some more!

CJ360T Motor
Mikuni VM30s
Pods
CB360T Headers

JRK5892 said:
i did a full write up a while back on painting a motor if you want to search my name and that.

Anyone find that link? My iPhone isn't going far back enough on your posts to find the thread.

duggyb, I am really digging that engine stand!
You could degrease that bellhousing and use it for all kinds of things, unless you're going to connect a trans to an engine with it. ;)

neevo said:
Anyone find that link? My iPhone isn't going far back enough on your posts to find the thread.

Ditto, still looking for it too. JRK5982 - got a link?

Thanks in advance. I've noticed quite a bit of your great work posted throughout the forum.

here is how i do it...
spray with gunk foaming engine cleaner... scrub with simple green and scrub brush, hose off, by now all the major grime and oil should be gone, 3 cans of non clorinated brake cleaner, wipe down with denatured alchole, light coats of primer, then paint... done

here is the motor i did this weekend
motor clean waiting on paint
260bxaw.jpg

i have a large oven but it is not needed just speeds the dry
2v8kfp0.jpg

all done
2vb0kz6.jpg

another motor i did
cleaned and prepped
ic4gte.jpg

light primer
144aaol.jpg

painted
16igzg8.jpg

done
2u73j1l.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I was just reading back through some of this and realised aluminium melts around 11~1200f so 1300 VHT wont cure before you end up with a blob on the floor ;D

100% PJ i only use 500* paint for motors, if you go over that it will not cure and will chip and flake, also when motor paint cures it has much more resistance to chemicals like oil and gas. 500* is the way to go

Here are a couple of my engines using the Eastwood ceramic paint in universal Al. Sorry these aren't "haul the ton" engines~
The first and Aermacchi 350 the next CA160 engines. Hope you like em.
Larz

Attachments

• DSCF0126a.jpg
    DSCF0126a.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 572
  • DSCF2057a.jpg
    DSCF2057a.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 609
  • DSCF2542a.jpg
    DSCF2542a.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 576
  • DSCF2533a.jpg
    DSCF2533a.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 562
Here is a pic of my Honda CL350 engine. Engine is painted but casing is powder coated.

Attachments

• tumblr_mesqkgbodt1rk24lio1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mesqkgbodt1rk24lio1_1280.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 552
Damn that is cool. What does the frame look like to handle the power out of that thing?

The engine is going in my 79 CB750K with a lot of little custom stuff done. It is a street bike- I mainly wanted something different to cruise locally. should only be around 90-105 HP- low boost- pump gas - no problems- lot's of WOW factor.

I ride a 2010 Kawasaki C14 Concours everyday (rain or shine) so this is just for fun.

Thanks Tom

turbocity tom said:
The engine is going in my 79 CB750K with a lot of little custom stuff done. It is a street bike- I mainly wanted something different to cruise locally. should only be around 90-105 HP- low boost- pump gas - no problems- lot's of WOW factor.

I ride a 2010 Kawasaki C14 Concours everyday (rain or shine) so this is just for fun.

Thanks Tom

Would love to see pictures of this bike, sir. That engine is immaculate, and I can only assume the bike it sits in is similarly neat

plagrone said:
Would love to see pictures of this bike, sir. That engine is immaculate, and I can only assume the bike it sits in is similarly neat

Still needs a lot of cosmetic stuff.

here is a video of the engine running.

http://s120.photobucket.com/user/turbocity_tom/media/P3240001_zpsfad12fe9.mp4.html

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Here's my '81 XS650. Main color is Dupli Color Spray Cast Iron with Spraymax 2k matte clear, silver is powder coat Super Chrome with a matte clear.

89bf081a-e75f-4e1a-9fba-5d65391fe880_zps2e777f78.jpg

0330141242_zps1fa21cf4.jpg

ba220db7-3530-4c3b-a478-bec43a749805_zpsa06cb0e6.jpg

b3233b34-0c30-4f12-ac1f-6ee08bae2138_zps59ea66f1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom