The XS, and the Sidecar of Death

Re: The Dnepr and the Sidecar of Death

First finished piece, the reflector for the headlight, the back of it and the all the tabs were chipping and rusty. Paint color won't matter as its not seen from inside the headlight bucket and was FREE!

IMG_20121005_101610.jpg

I managed to get all the spokes off the rims last night. I noticed that the rear wheel had two different spoke head angles, but not the other wheels.

IMG_20121005_232625.jpg

IMG_20121005_215652.jpg

IMG_20121005_215649.jpg

damn that wheel looks rusted to s%&. good luck my friend. keep us posted!

Its not really as bad as it looks, not worried about it. They are steel and were not round when they left the factory. Zero primer on any painted surface and most parts sat for months or years before being painted.

Don't know how I hadn't noticed it before, but found this old helmet tied up to the back inside of the sidecar tub this weekend..

IMG_20121026_222529.jpg

IMG_20121026_222608.jpg

Cool! Hopefully the damage was incurred whilst not on someone's melon.

I don't know.. it was tied up inside the tub and looked a bit creepy.

Wow, this aluminum is rough, I've sanded this cover for two hours and probably still have another hour on the first grit, I'm guessing 5 hours total to sand and polish.

IMG_20121029_155224.jpg

What about using a random orbit to speed along the first grits?

Very true, both of you. I am having trouble finding an pneumatic random orbit sander in town for under $80. Guess I'll order one online as the molds for these parts were rough and they had little or no factory cleanup. I still have four hubs to go through also.

Took the night off the Dnepr to carve pumpkins, I always end up doing everything but lighting them..

IMG_20121030_202335.jpg

Thanks, I do a very similar pumpkin every year, don't get too creative with mine, too busy creating for the kids and wife.

Photo_102009_001.jpg

DAMN how did I miss this! I love those old soviet bikes.

Back
Top Bottom