Down under, an idiot and a 400F

Unimig 170: ? so is this to be used with gas? interested to see the results :)

crazypj said:
I would say the regulator and pressure gauges are a bit of a give away ;D

lol ;D just wondering if its a duel setup ya know, little from column A little from column B Lol........

Yep. Argon gas cylinder on its way from a mate too.

Can't wait to start having a go. Been spending hours looking at YouTube videos on how to TIG.

Continuing with the theme of aiming waaaaaaay above my skill level. Thinking of building of of these puppies:

d98227bd.jpg

Killer video here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ8CGGYamuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Get some argon, and your scrap pieces of metal and practice, practice, practice.
I can tell you there's a big difference from watching someone TIG and actual hands-on. Damn guys make it look so easy! My first time I practiced on sheet aluminum two different days until it seemed like I was doing good, then when I turned to the actual seat I was building it looked like a duck shit all over the seams!
::)

That's the plan. Not saying its going to work but you can always dream.

Will be putting my head down for the next few months learning to lay beads and controlling the torch.

Maybe when I'm feeling confident I will buy some scrap SS sheet and try a muffler.

neevo said:
Killer video here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ8CGGYamuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Aaaaahhh!!! So THAT"S how you make an exhaust pipe!! I might go out to the shed and knock one up this afternoon.

Awesome video Neevo and good luck with your TIG welding. When you've got your pipe perfected let me know and you can come and do mine :)

BTW I'm headed to Deus for a coffee in the next half hour or so. If any DTTers are going to be there let me know!

ducatiboy said:
Awesome video Neevo and good luck with your TIG welding. When you've got your pipe perfected let me know and you can come and do mine :)

No probs! Give me half a day learning how to do it and I should be ready to rock out perfect pipes ;)

Update on the welding situation. Managed to convince the accountant to let me get the welder today as next week we are having the floors in our house sanded and it would mean I couldn't play with it after payday.

Bit of a run around this morning picking up bits (stool from charity shop, argon bottle from my buddy Yuha, 15A socket from the hardware store) and by about midday I was set to melt metal:

1a06c990.jpg

Struggled early on with results like these:

dd5f97d0.jpg

ad6c1808.jpg

Bit of a sushi refuel at about 1 and I made a few changes post fish. Turns out the #6 cup I was using was not sitting straight on the torch so I swapped it for the 5, also worked out I had miscalculated the argon flow so dialed that back a bit too. Results were much better:

9ea10fc6.jpg

2bb85c08.jpg

Lastly replaced the sanding disc in my grinder to get cleaner material, made a big difference as the puddle was much easier to get and maintain resulting in cleaner welds:

842920e9.jpg

Lastly decided to put my new skills to use and built a tig torch holder. The welds are shitty but it works a treat:

96d3a537.jpg

6168df6d.jpg

Nice man! practice and knowledge makes perfect ;) your still ahead of me ;D

andycafe said:
Nice man! practice and knowledge makes perfect ;) your still ahead of me ;D

Nope. Level playing field. Your garage is a massive points score in Cafe Racer top trumps, mines shit!

Practiced my welding today by building a template for the swingarm brace:

7470f459.jpg

751f8406.jpg

99e2282f.jpg

The idea was to create a template for the tube bender to copy, however I have been shown a couple of RDLC swingarms on eBay which might be purchased instead.

Still... got to practice welding tube.

Woohoo!! Outstanding Neevo! :D :D :D

Don't buy a 2nd piece of junk (ie the RD swingarm) when you can make your very own. Go buy one if yours doesn't work out.

ducatiboy said:
Woohoo!! Outstanding Neevo! :D :D :D

Don't buy a 2nd piece of junk (ie the RD swingarm) when you can make your very own. Go buy one if yours doesn't work out.

Trouble is it's going to cost me $100 or so to have the brace bent properly out of 1 piece. The RDLC swingarm could be had for about the same and it's ready to use and already engineered for a monoshock.

Decisions, decisions.

Plus, you'll have to buy material to make a jig to hold everything in line.
If you were going into production it would be worthwhile but modifying RD 350 would be quicker and easier

Re: Re: Down under, an idiot and a 400F

crazypj said:
Plus, you'll have to buy material to make a jig to hold everything in line.
If you were going into production it would be worthwhile but modifying RD 350 would be quicker and easier

+1 to that considering...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom