CB350 Camshaft installation? Am I doing it wrong?

ejether

Hey all,
I've been rebuilding a CB/CL 350 motor. It has the fatty cam.
I bought the motor from a guy who had 'rebuilt' it and had to take it down and split the case because it wouldn't shift. The top end was assembled when I got it and and has a heavy duty cam chain.

I replaced the stock tensioner with the one from Boretech, ground the case etc and couldn't the camshaft in and both the tach and timing ends back on. Assuming I didn't grind enough, I test fit the stock tensioner with the same result.

I can get the cam in, and get one side of the cam holders on with the gear on the camshaft, but when I try to put the other side cam holder on its a no-go. There is hard metal on metal interference from something and its obvious that the camshaft is at an angle in the rocker box preventing the timing end from fitting on. I know it should fit, because it was together when I got it... Shall say "gentle" persuasion with a rubber mallet has no effect.

These are what I am referring to as the 'cam holders' since they.. hold the cam: http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb350-super-sport-350-k0-1968-usa-cylinder-head-side-coverspark-advancerpoints_bighu0018e6002_d2fa.gif

I'm at a loss and think I am following the manual but perhaps there is something I am missing.

For reference, I'm not a pro mechanic, but I know my way around a bike and an engine. That being said, I don't know everything so any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!!

I remember when putting the cam back on I had to apply a bit of manpower.

I believe on one of those timing cover ends, there is some material that is machined away at a slight angle so that it allows the cam to go into at an angle. It has been over a year since I put my camshaft back in the 350 top, but I do remember it was a bit of a effort!

Hope that helps..?

I had a very similar issue a few weeks back re-assembling my CL350 top end. I could get the point side box on, but the tach side was giving me fits, and was exactly how you have explained it.

Did you replace the cam chain? I had installed a new cam chain, and new cam seals, so it was a rather snug fit putting everything back together.

I'm assuming you do not have the cam chain tensioner installed? Any extra clearance here is a huge help.

Having the cam chain tensioner removed, I was able to apply slight upwards pressure to the side box, while tapping it into place with a rubber mallet. Once it was close enough to install the screws, I used them to pull the rest of the assembly in.

Now this was all with a stock cam, so I'm not sure if the Fatty cam has any additional issue associated with it.

do not bang on it :(,it should go together pretty easy
sprocket unbolted from cam, follow the factory service manual

Thanks for the replies all!

abacb_07 said:
I'm assuming you do not have the cam chain tensioner installed? Any extra clearance here is a huge help.

Having the cam chain tensioner removed, I was able to apply slight upwards pressure to the side box, while tapping it into place with a rubber mallet. Once it was close enough to install the screws, I used them to pull the rest of the assembly in.

Now this was all with a stock cam, so I'm not sure if the Fatty cam has any additional issue associated with it.

The roller tensioner arm is installed, the spring loaded part is not installed.

xb33bsa said:
do not bang on it :(,it should go together pretty easy
sprocket unbolted from cam, follow the factory service manual

I am following the directions in the Clymer manual I have. Are the installation instructions different between them?

I'll try the tricks you folks suggested sometime this weekend.
Thanks

clymer manual for the CB350 is pretty much shit. use it to start your next campfire. stick w/ the honda shop manual.

timmysf said:
clymer manual for the CB350 is pretty much shit. use it to start your next campfire. stick w/ the honda shop manual.

The directions in the shop manual match the Clymer ones. Following those directions, I am unable to install both the tach and points assemblies.

Is the cam chain binding in the bottom end a bit causing you extra tension? I have had the links kink slightly and it was enough to make the whole assmebly impossible to put in place. I was able to roll the chain and bottom gear a bit to take the kink out and was good after that although still a tight fit.

Maritime said:
Is the cam chain binding in the bottom end a bit causing you extra tension? I have had the links kink slightly and it was enough to make the whole assmebly impossible to put in place. I was able to roll the chain and bottom gear a bit to take the kink out and was good after that although still a tight fit.
you dont install the cam with the chain on you, leave the sprocket unbolted
then once end housings are secure,do-up the chain and sprocket

xb33bsa said:

Im certainly going to try this, but I think the manuals disagree with you. At least how I read them...

jpmobius said:
Listen to xb. If it is hard, you are doing it wrong. Period.

Tried all the things and recommendations so far to no avail. A friend suggested rotating the cam shaft so all the lobes are down to facilitate installation so ill try that next.

ejether said:
Tried all the things and recommendations so far to no avail. A friend suggested rotating the cam shaft so all the lobes are down to facilitate installation so ill try that next.

Yea, cam orientation is "kind of" important upon installation. Are you sure you're reading a manual?

:) assuming I'm an ass... Anyway, I though I was too but I'm not 100% sure. Books say to install camshaft with the mark up. So that's what I've been trying.

Having done this on several bikes that were not cb350s I am feeling chagrinned.

xb33bsa said:

Yes, but the chain is still over the cam etc and if it is bound will fight the cam placement. also if it is bound, one the cam is in place it will be a bitch to get the sprocket on after and bolt it up.

Maritime said:
Yes, but the chain is still over the cam etc and if it is bound will fight the cam placement. also if it is bound, one the cam is in place it will be a bitch to get the sprocket on after and bolt it up.

Yes, this has been my exact problem.

You might have to rotate the crank with a 14mm wrench a little one way or the other to get enough play? Try not to go clockwise if you can help it.

Re: CB350 Camshaft installation? Am I doing it wrong? SUCCESS

plagrone said:
You might have to rotate the crank with a 14mm wrench a little one way or the other to get enough play? Try not to go clockwise if you can help it.

Success!

I tightened a couple head bolts to compress the gaskets and press the jigs down on the base a little tighter. From there I could install the cam ends with the timing gear not bolted to the crank. I did have to rotate the crank and cam 180 degrees to get all the pressure off the cam from the rockers but finally, its done.

Thanks for your help all!

Back
Top Bottom