Getting bike going after setting for 5 years. Need some input.

grancuda

Got this 1970 Sprint 350SS a while back. It was running when parked because some parts were stolen in storage. Finally getting around to working in it. Today I drained the gas, pulled petcock & screen out. Cleaned the varnished gas out of the tank. Disassembled the carburetor completely except the the float because the shaft holding it completely wouldn't come out. Sprayed some carb cleaner in the needle & seat area as much as i could. Put it all back together along with a new plug, set the points, emory clothed the points which were not pitted at all. Put a new 6v battery in as well. I have been kicking & kicking this thing in various ways, getting spark but not even popping at all. I have a shop manual but haven't found a couple things I am unsure of.

Not sure of a couple things:

1. Does it matter which keyed position I start it in. Do I have to start with the headlight off?

2. Should I try starting it with the choke lever in the vertical position or horizontal,it's 85 degrees out.

3. Is there no way to check that there is fuel in the bowl? It doesn't appear to have a bowl drain screw.

4. How many turns out after seated in should the low speed needle valve screw & throttle set screw be turned, both were loose when I got it.

5. Messed with plenty of old muscle cars & plugs get wet when trying to start because there us an accelerator pump. This doesn't have one & I am not sure how much wetness there should be, there is none, it's hot out though & I don't know if its marginally moist then by the time I pull it if it is evaporating off it. I also don't know if there is no fuel in the bowl since I couldn't get the shaft out. The floats are though set to 31/32" which is at spec.

6. What style clamps should be used to hold the rubber boot between air cleaner & carburetor.

7. The low speed needle valve screw looks like none I have ever seen. It isn't a point like normal but I have never messed with Deltoro carbs.
See pic:
14518117458_5d873bc3ce_b_d.jpg

Here are some pics of the bike I'm working on.

14704763565_a8ef50446e_b_d.jpg

14704774125_e3322c505d_b_d.jpg

It's been over 40 years since I rode one and it was a 250 I think. Try some starting fluid to see if you can get a pop or two. They were hard starting when everything was right, but I was not much of a mechanic back then.

Ron Lancaster races and restores these bikes. 1-815-438-7985 e-mail sales@aermacchisprint.com

Attachments

• p16carb69later.jpg
    p16carb69later.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 286
Back
Top Bottom