Removing the oil tank

camatt29

Hi everyone!
im going to start off on the forum with what i would assume is a very unpopular question.
I have seen alot of cb750s with no oil tank, with the oil lines forming a loop around the engine. Now, im assuming that this is a form over function modification, and i think we all would admit that the look without an oil tank really cleans the bike up. Is there anyone on the forum who bypassed the oil tank on there early cb's.
any constructive thoughts on the subject? does anyone think an oil cooler would suffice?
thanks in advance!
Cameron

no no no
it is a dry sump engine it must have a tank that functions in every way just like the stock system
unless you know exactly what to do,that is in an aftermarket tank,leave it stock, be happy, ride

All the oil tank is on a dry sump engine is a remote reservoir, correct? To cool and store the unused portion of oil the undersized oil pan in the engine isn't using. I'm sure the oil tank from Honda is engineered to be the best for any and all conditions, but I can't see how running an oil cooler would be much different? I do appreciate your input and understand what your saying but this is widely done and has me curious.

the oil tank feeds the pressure side of the pump with non bubbly cooler oil
the oil tank is supplied with the scavange side of the pump
i dont see how it could be made into a continuous loop
if so don't you think the japs would have done that in the first place ? then they could have eliminated that nasty ugly tank ::)
you do realize it is a plain bearing crankshaft ?
show me these cb750's with no oil tank

Yup... What he says ^^^^^

Why not just fab a custom tank that's hidden away more-so than the stocker?

This is one of the main pics that got my mind ticking. Although its a dohc as far as I know they still have a dry sump? Again I'm only looking for information and easing my curiosity.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405990400562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405990400562.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 602
The plan was to custom fab an oil tank but a friend recommended an oil cooler because it would effectively do the same thing as an oil tank.

no it wont i explained that already,and fabbing a tank is tricky, it must be designed correctly like the stocker
your friend is a stupid fucker

Thank you for pointing my ambitions in the correct direction! I did just receive new(to me) oil lines today so I have a long time before worrying about having anything fabbed.

The oil cooler does help lower the temp (obviously) but when pil passes through a motor and the accompanying plumbing (oil cooler included) it becomes aerated. In other words, the oil becomes frothy and "thin" thereby decreasing its lubricating abilities. The tank allows the oil to settle and excess air and gasses to vent so that when fed back into the engine it can properly lubricate and cool. Just running a cooler will skip that extremely important step and lead to excess wear and eventual faliure.

These old bikes are mysterious to us I'm learning now from you...as will him from me. Are the stock tanks designed to regulate pressure? I understand the. Concept of the drysump but I guess have no clue what is so tricky about what it does?

a dry sump engine also can be more compact by not having a large sump
as any sump needs to be deep enough to be isolated from crank windage
dry sumps systems are quite popular for pure racing engines of all kinds but especially cars because of the high lateral g loads that a car can generate, much higher than any motorcycle

My other bikes are both dry sump drz400sm and a harley Dyna never really paid any attention just had to learn how to change the oil. Never had any interest in doing anything different with the oil system

Back
Top Bottom