Yes, another CB360 Project - BRGT

mikewerx said:
Sounds like a good CO source... would he want to help other peeps out? :D

Mike - I might have mislead you. My friend used to live in Colorado, and that's when he trained with Olympic cycle team, but now, we're in Kansas, 600 miles away. . .

Friken small world, I was born and raised in CO, now I live south of Oklahoma City.

I drive through southern KS to get to I-70 once/twice a year to visit family for the holidays.

I'm starting to accumulate more parts to move onto the next step of my project. Imagine my surprise when I pulled up to the house and FedEx had left this monster sitting by the front door:

Right off the bat I knew something wasn't right. I had received my Avon Roadrider AM26 90/90 - 18 front tire the day before and I was waiting on the Avon 100/90 - 18 rear tire. As I walked up to it I kept thinking, "this can't be the right size can it?" Man, the closer I got to it, the bigger this tire got.

Well, upon closer inspection, the good folks at Fowersforts Farts (substitute P for the F's and you'll know who I'm talking about) didn't send me the Avon, no, they sent a BattleAx BT016r Size: 150/70R18M/C, which is one honkin' big tire! :eek:

Oh well, for all the parts I've ordered for this project, this is the only real screwup so far so I can't complain. I guess I'll see how good their return service is next week.

Well, I bit the bullet and asked Viet Bac Pham from Acacia Vintage Motorcycles, Vietnam, to fabricate an electronic ignition for my CB360. It arrived in the mail yesterday. It will be awhile before I install it and check it out, but it looks like the real deal.

Although it is slightly larger than Pamco Pete's original design - which had no external module - I like the fact that you can access the module in case you need to replace something. As I understand it, the Bore-Tech is a sealed unit that doesn't give you the option to make repairs.

I also like the sturdy aluminum module case. I think It will fit in nicely with the design I have in mind for this bike. The module case has 2 LED's on top that light when the spark flys. A nice feature to dial in your timing before putting a timing light to it.

For $90 it seems like a bargain to avoid issues with a points based ignition. Time will tell . . .

I plan to beef up some of the conduit, and seal junctions with silicone. When it comes to electronics, usually moisture is not a good thing.

Viet has been extremely helpful with this fabrication request. http://acaciavintagemotorcycles.com/

The current holdup for me now are the wheels. Earlier I said a buddy could true them up for me, but we found his cycling setup wasn't the best for the job. I'm waiting on a truing stand and I'll try my hand at it soon. :eek:

After that, I'll have a roller and pieces start coming together. ;D

Wangofree said:
Well, I bit the bullet and asked Viet Bac Pham from Acacia Vintage Motorcycles, Vietnam, to fabricate an electronic ignition for my CB360. It arrived in the mail yesterday. It will be awhile before I install it and check it out, but it looks like the real deal.

For $90 it seems like a bargain to avoid issues with a points based ignition. Time will tell . . .

Viet has been extremely helpful with this fabrication request. http://acaciavintagemotorcycles.com/

Really interested in seeing how this unit works out for you. I've heard stories about trying to get units for 350s to work on 360s and finding one made for a 360 at a decent price sounds great.

ridesolo said:
Really interested in seeing how this unit works out for you. I've heard stories about trying to get units for 350s to work on 360s and finding one made for a 360 at a decent price sounds great.

Yeah RS I was bummed to find you couldn't heave a brick without hitting EI's for the 350's, but the cupboard was bare for 360 bikes. Pamco Pete is supposedly working on a new and improved EI for the 360. His timeline is before riding season this spring.

That sounds great, but with no guarantees I went with a sure thing. Viet and his crew seem to be dedicated to their craft. I would have loved to have one of Pamco Pete's 1st edition units, but it wasn't meant to be. So, we'll see how this works out.

The process for this fabrication entailed me sending Viet my ignition contact plate and advancer. 6 weeks later ( 1 1/2 - 2 weeks shipping one way to Vietnam and back) I had this unit in my hot little hand.

Here's Viet's email explaining his work on these units:

"Yeah, I am selling these EI Module to use with stock coil. I attached here with the photos that my EI installed on CB350K1 and CB450 K. My Modules based on HEI system. Each HEI module control 1 engine so dwell is 360 degree instead of 60 to 90 degree. It means, more time for accumulating energy inside the coil.

I test with both CB350 and CB450 with 1000 miles from Saigon to Hanoi (Vietnam) and no problem. No heat on both IC module (heat but very minimal) and same with coil. I leave the switch on for 3 hr w/o engine starting, no hot coil nor Ignition module.

The highest on the road rpm that I make for CB350 is 10000 rpm, no record of speed as I have no speedo.

Thanks

Viet"

OK, no breaks for you. Work! boy, work! I am excited just to see this module, simply installed. I will pee my pants when you get it properly tuned in.

Yeah will be interested to see for sure.

Did you get new springs with the advance unit or no?

trek97 said:
OK, no breaks for you. Work! boy, work! I am excited just to see this module, simply installed. I will pee my pants when you get it properly tuned in.

I'm itching for electronic ignition... I was unaware of the Viet unit... watching.

OK boys I get the message. . . no time for dawdling. ;D Waiting on UPS to deliver my truing stand today so I can get a roller and put the motor in the frame and get crackin'! We're in the middle of Winter Storm "Q" here in the midwest, so not sure if UPS will make it today. We'll see.

Frogman - No new springs. Viet takes what you send him and builds the unit from your advancer mechanism.

Even though it's freakin' cold, and snow up to my eyeballs, I went out and did a fit test on the EI. So far, so good. . .

Wangofree said:
OK boys I get the message. . . no time for dawdling. ;D Waiting on UPS to deliver my truing stand today so I can get a roller and put the motor in the frame and get crackin'! We're in the middle of Winter Storm "Q" here in the midwest, so not sure if UPS will make it today. We'll see.

Frogman - No new springs. Viet takes what you send him and builds the unit from your advancer mechanism.

Now that he has made one for a 360 wouldn't he have a pattern set up? Would you still have to send your adv mech to him?

The reason why I asked is there will be a variable on how old and stretched the springs are between each unit. Something I think other guys like Pete are trying to cope with as well.

Then there is is the weight and size difference in the rotor that I hope they took into account as well.

NOW that is all to say that if it mattered it would, these engines are RPM monsters, they like to be reved and make hardly any power under 3k. So long as the advance doesn't hit full before that they should work fine.

frogman said:
The reason why I asked is there will be a variable on how old and stretched the springs are between each unit. Something I think other guys like Pete are trying to cope with as well.

Then there is is the weight and size difference in the rotor that I hope they took into account as well.

NOW that is all to say that if it mattered it would, these engines are RPM monsters, they like to be reved and make hardly any power under 3k. So long as the advance doesn't hit full before that they should work fine.
Frogman is a cham. I am also thinking on the spring issue. Making the spring harder will help control the engine at low rev. But luckily, the modern version of HEI has dwell control built in and it solves the spring issue. Tested on my 350, it idles at almost 1000rpm

Back
Top Bottom