Yes, another CB360 Project - BRGT

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered Mikuni carbs. I guess the old saying is true, "In for a penny, in for a pound". The transition boots were hard as a rock. I decided to try the Xylene & Oil of Wintergreen trick. 30 ml of Wintergreen oil and 70 ml of Xylene. I let them soak for 24 hours. As has been mentioned, they puffed up a little, but not too much. Letting them air dry they are much more pliable and they do smell minty fresh. ;)

I have these in a 3 Ziploc bags and you can still smell the mint. It is that strong. But worked great on reconditioning. Now I need to get these babies mounted. I can't believe it's been over a year since I started this project.

Attachments

• 070 (1024x768).jpg
    070 (1024x768).jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 071 (1024x768).jpg
    071 (1024x768).jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 072 (1024x768).jpg
    072 (1024x768).jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 077 (1024x768).jpg
    077 (1024x768).jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 273
I think you should just spring for new boots. Fresh rubber will stay pliable much longer. (It's what I did, mine had small cracks that only showed up when the engine was hot. No vacuum leak cold, but warmed up, ooph...)

It might come to that MLK. I'll see how these do and go from here. I haven't really had much time to reach the goal line with my project. Life just keeps getting in the way. ;)

Took me a year to get mine roadable, I understand...It still isn't finished, but free time is hard to find sometimes...

99% of my bike was built between 3 - 6 a.m. Although I dont get enough coffee in me to start thinking straight until 8 a.m.

Does it show?!?!

I'm going to retire in 141 days, May 2, 2014. If nothing else I should have plenty of time to finish it then.

trek97 said:
99% of my bike was built between 3 - 6 a.m. Although I dont get enough coffee in me to start thinking straight until 8 a.m.

Does it show?!?!

Figured the dripping red was done to hide the blood stains....LOL

Wangofree said:
I'm going to retire in 141 days, May 2, 2014. If nothing else I should have plenty of time to finish it then.

Dude, congratulations!
My dad retired 10+ years ago...busier now than ever.

So, I guess what you are really trying to say is....we can expect to MEET you and the bike at this years Rust Revival, Spring Thaw? May 16 - 18. Incorporate an impromptu "retirement party" Over the weekend.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=54529.0

mydlyfkryzis said:
Figured the dripping red was done to hide the blood stains....LOL

OH and yes, thats the splashback from all the Harleys I have run down.

I hope to Jeff, thanks! Maybe I can diagnose my "sticky" shifting issue and finally get to enjoy all the work that went into this baby.

Well, I feel like I've become one of those guys that starts out all hot and heavy, and life or problems get in the way of finishing a project. I hope I can pull myself out of the pit.

I'm now retired and finally have the time to resurrect my project. I think I've fixed the hard shift problem. I tore the engine completely down and put it all back together nice and easy, piece by piece. When I got to the transmission, I put things back together and tested and retested the shifting as I assembled the top end. The culprit was the small bearing on the countershaft. I had it installed "backward". I might be crazy, but it looks like the "detent" hole on the bearing is "offset". I found that shifting would bind up unless it was installed correctly. :-[ :-[ :-[

I didn't feel like taking more photos, and I wanted to "get it done". Now it static shifts nice and easy. But, I can't put it on the road until I get my new Mikuni's straightened out.

Which leads me to a question. Attached is a photo of how the carb slide looks with the throttle cable completely slack. It looks like there's a 5mm gap at the bottom. Is this normal or should it be closed up a little tighter?

When I start up the bike she immediately jumps to 4000 RPM with both chokes on. If I ease the chokes off it dies. Adjusting the idle screw has no effect. I'm thinking the slides might not be seated properly. The cable has 1" of play when I remove it from the throttle, and there's no resistance, unless there's something binding or misadjusted in the 1 into 2 cable hookup.

Thoughts would be appreciated before I tear into the throttle/cable assembly.

Thanks guys, it's good to be back!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 720
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 717
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 730
first you need to cable pull synch the carbs,then get a slightly open slides with the idle speed screws evenly adjusted
the idle speed at a high rpm with chokes on is normal, as it really isn't a choke but an enrichener circuit

Back
Top Bottom