Yamaha TR1

carnivorous chicken

Over 1,000 Posts
Man, checking out this Yamaha TR1 has me rethinking my addiction to SOHC fours. Copped it from http://www.caferacerculture.net/, killer site, some great bikes (and there's the boobies!). Anybody know much about these in the States? Owned one? Worked on one? Good, bad? I like the stressed member and this one's taken down to the essentials (with a few add-ons, stearing damper, etc.). How abaot availability? Price range?

Attachments

• 1002917.jpg
    1002917.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 4,856
I can't remember whether or not the TR1 ever made it to American shores, but I'm relatively certain it's the same (or very similar, at least) engine as the Virago.

'81-82 XV920R in the USA ... didn't sell well so relatively rare. Lots of unique parts that differentiate it from a shafty XV920.

More common in Europe.

we've got 100's here in the UK / Europe !!!

Few more cc's, chain drive [ 81 -83 ].

I've had a more than a few Japanese fours and just fancied a change. Plus I wanted to get as close to a 60's Cafe Racer styling as possible.

I'd seen a few shoehorned into Featherbed frames - but couldn't see the point. I'm on my 3rd project now using the TR1 as a base donor.

Sure they have a few issues - mainly the starter, which seems marginal even when it's working OK !

Loads of nice conversions on this site - from Trad. 60's CR [ mine ] , through modern take on CR [ Doc's] and some truly excellent total rethinks using the base engine unit.

Warning - once you start, they are truly addictive !

Here's mine in early mock up stage. Tank has been slimmed down - now resembles a 60's AJS 7R. managed to get a genuine Grimeca 4LS front hub / brake and XS650 rear wheel - all off for a rebuild with alloy rims and stainless steel spokes. Also now got a 60's 7" Lucas headlamp with ammeter switch panel and a whole load of 60's period parts.

Picture005.jpg

http://www.sportmotor.hu/motoros_kepek/motor/?dr=95384
Took a few in-process pics of when I was building my own here in Hungary.

Back
Top Bottom