Just say no to d-rings

deviant said:
IMG_0810-8357.jpg

Attachments

• Pi.JPG
    Pi.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 227
Boudiepitbull said:
A 70 yard slide is a pretty impressive credential. More info please... Speed? Shoei full face?
Speed, undisclosed due to attorney's advice :p. Shoei RF 1000 w/D-rings-this was the good side. Blood on rubber ring from chin strap. I won't say the name of the insurance company but they have a lizard for a mascot, gave me $400 for a replacement helmet. Still deciding what to replace it with....have another few weeks and the bike will be ready for the tarmac again. I can't 'strip' the info from the report as I know many will doubt the distance but who cares, I lived through it. I know it to be true. Here is a pic of the gauges showing we were upside down for part of it!

Attachments

• gauges before.jpg
    gauges before.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 196
  • helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 195
I would imagine there is an element of fate involved when you slide more than 200 feet. That's a very extraordinary accident to survive and probably put you well outside the realm of what you can reasonably expect from any of the standard protective gear out there. It just wasn't time for your number to be up yet...

How about the rest of you? Got any skin left? Leather? Kevlar? Body armor?

About 30 years into riding I met the Road Rash Queen on the motorcycle show talk circuit and was so disturbed by what I heard and saw that I bought my first pair of Kevlar jeans and stopped riding in just a t-shirt like I had done my whole life. Since then I've meet two or three people who claim to owe their skin specifically to their Draggin' Jeans. Not something I ever want to test on myself.

didthetonatten said:
.... but even so, have you ever heard of anyone being choked, strangled, or even getting a rope burn from a chin strap in a slide? I certainly haven't.
Well now you have. Read the entire post. I have a nasty scar under my chin from the chin strap from a 40yd slide...BUT the fu*&%er stayed on my head. D-rings on a Shoei, or equivalent Snell/DOT only for my noggin'. Like Tuna said, it's personal preference.

Would your injury have been any different had you used this type latch?

didthetonatten said:
Sorry, I underestimated the distance of the slide....I just re-read the report, they estimated 70 yds.! Now is it clear why a .10c buckle is just not acceptable?!
I'd be willing to bet D-rings cost less than $.10

Yes they are... they are free in this case eh? or didju get the part where they were cut off to be "replaced" with the plastic bits :eek: :eek: :eek:

AAAAAND the dog is kicked and fully awake ;) :) ;D

Best way to keep proper gear in your mind is just Google "Motorcycle Road Rash" and look at the cool pics.

Seen it in the mirror enough thanks burned both my palms down to the last layer when I was a kid too... couldn't jerk off for weeks :eek:

Back
Top Bottom