Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

datadavid said:
Yea it looks fantastic. Even better with a bit of lacquer on i think. Hopefully the underside can be seen.

Yep, the plan is the underside will be able to be seen (with the mandatory thousand coats of spar varnish)... though only subtly really. This seat was actually where the whole of the idea for the bike began, I liked the idea of having some really nice pieces that are only visible if you look hard enough, dunno, something about that tickled my fancy... that said:

Maritime said:
Just put some pad for each cheek and leave wood showing.

I do quite like this idea. Not sure how it'd work structurally though, as I was planning the have the steel seat pan taking most of the load and the timber being a cover piece on the underside to hide all the bits and pieces of the upholstering. I'll think about that though, I do quite like that idea...

CrabsAndCylinders said:
don't you have some kind of heavy underwear that you could wear instead?

Heh, that was what my wife suggested...

The Jimbonaut said:
Or eat more Dominos?

That is what my wife definitely didn't suggest...

Seat's almost there, just needs some upholstering. Might sculpt some of the timber a bit more once I get the upholstery on there, but I'll wait and see how it looks. Oh, and I'll swap out the clear tail light for a red one I think, the clear looks a bit odd to me.

_MG_9494.jpg

_MG_9499.jpg

_MG_9507.jpg

_MG_9496.jpg

Maybe you could have pocketed the wood under the pan and welded the bolts under the pan, and 4 is excessive just to hold pad and leather to the wood. Looks awesome though, glad you left the wood grain to show on the sides.

Edit: just looked closer and the bolts hold seat to bike and springs, double as pan attachment.

Your craftsmanship is inspiring. Bravo. How does the seat rest on the springs? Just some washers? or is there some more surface area like a bar that spans the 2 springs? Are you worried the stress of the springs focusing on small pressure points might split the wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maritime said:
Edit: just looked closer and the bolts hold seat to bike and springs, double as pan attachment.

Yup, 2 bolts for the pivot bar and 2 for the springs. They'll also sandwich the edges of the leather between the steel and the timber.

thrillseeker said:
Your craftsmanship is inspiring. Bravo. How does the seat rest on the springs? Just some washers? or is there some more surface area like a bar that spans the 2 springs? Are you worried the stress of the springs focusing on small pressure points might split the wood?

Thanks mate! And good points there too. Currently the springs sit on thick rubber washers, which I assume will be sufficient, but I might have to double-check that...

So finally got the upholstery done, in a nice Kangaroo leather... Bloody nightmare it was though... The wife and I ended up spending a good 12 hours last weekend going hard at it, but it resulted in a happy ending... ;) We did it, and re did it, and re did it, about 5 times in the end I think, trying to get everything just right, trying get the right feel for how much foam, and what density, and getting the bastard leather to work the way I wanted, but we got there in the end. So now it's varnishing the timber time and hunting down some nice buttons to finish it off.

_MG_0280.jpg

_MG_0294.jpg

_MG_0300.jpg

_MG_0357.jpg

_MG_0368.jpg

_MG_0372.jpg

_MG_0376.jpg

Mate you’re a mechanical artisan of the highest order, inspirational

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

In terms of craftsmanship and attention to detail, this bike is Hazan territory. Absolutely staggering, amazing work!

And your photography is top notch too - this bike and its build story would make a great book!

That seat looks so comfortable! My ass just got jealous. You just keep the amazing creativity coming. Every time I see new pictures I think "what a great idea!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all, I really appreciate all the kind feedback. But this one especially got me a bit misty if I'm honest:

The Jimbonaut said:
In terms of craftsmanship and attention to detail, this bike is Hazan territory.

Max Hazan is my all time inspiration, such stunningly beautiful bikes (and works of art.. good god those things make me go all weak at the knees). I'm certainly not even remotely in his league, but I must say I was pretty chuffed to even be mentioned in the same sentence. Thanks so much.

thrillseeker said:
That seat looks so comfortable! My ass just got jealous.

Heh, I'm not exactly sure how comfortable it will be, part of the reason for so many attempts was because I really wanted that really solid feel that a lot of old Chesterfields have, almost punching-bag solid. It feels pretty comfy to sit on in the garage going "brooom, broom", but not sure how it'll hold up over a long ride.. hopefully find out soon enough! But if nothing else, it's freaking solid!

Awesome work! Looking forward to the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom