Engine inspiration thread!

We completed the XS1100 1196cc big bore engine build today!

000_0011-2.jpg

000_0002-2.jpg

000_0001-1.jpg

000_0003-2.jpg

000_0004_00.jpg

000_0005-2.jpg

000_0005_00.jpg

000_0008-1.jpg

000_0007_00.jpg

000_0009-1.jpg

000_0014-1.jpg

000_0015-1.jpg

000_0018.jpg

000_0020.jpg

hey Joey, you mind pointing me in the right direction for that nice little block-o-billet you got on there? :)

Brother The Jed the chain drive conversion is an aftermarket part and the last I heard the gentleman that was making them is no longer offering them for sale, I have seen used ones for sale before however they are usually a little expensive when you can find them. If I see one for sale I will let you know my friend!

Joe, The engine is pretty and clean as yours always are, but when are you going to start selling those sexy but simple engine stands. I have made lots of stands in the past and none are are as nice as yours.

Re: Re: Engine inspiration thread!

joeyputt said:
We completed the XS1100 1196cc big bore engine build today!

000_0011-2.jpg

Looks amazing! What red is that and what paint are you using for these? I'm getting ready to paint my engine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Joey any tips on how you polish the edges of those fins? Any prep or effort made to stop them chipping or is it not an issue?

duggyb said:
where is everyone getting the allen key hardware kits for the 360 series engines? i got a 77 CJ360T and i really need some new "non phillips" hardware

thanks.
Dustin

Have you checked on alloyboltz.com ?

Brothers I apologize for the delayed response, I have been very busy in the shop with our normal work and it is also now race season so I have a lot more work this time of year as well so I have not been here on DTT as much as I normally like to be!

teazer said:
Joe, The engine is pretty and clean as yours always are, but when are you going to start selling those sexy but simple engine stands. I have made lots of stands in the past and none are are as nice as yours.

Thank You Brother Teazer! Most of the engine stands I build are made from extra pieces of metal that I have around the shop, I have used old brackets, etc. for them before however my favorite material to use for engine stands is regular black iron pipe. For this XS1100 I simply cut an inch or so off of the end of the pipe, turned it sideways and then just welded it back to the end of the pipe so that I could run the engine mounting bolts through it and then I welded the other ends to a roll around rack that I use so that I can move the engine around the shop as I work on it. I love simple engine stands and with the pipe is also makes it easy to remove engine covers, the oil pan, etc.

quadracer351 said:
Looks amazing! What red is that and what paint are you using for these? I'm getting ready to paint my engine.

Brother quadracer351 the red paint that we used on the valve cover, oil filler cap, and the breather can was a automotive base with clear coat. The black and many of the other colors we use are VHT products and I have the part numbers for them listed on the very first post of this thread.

neevo said:
Joey any tips on how you polish the edges of those fins? Any prep or effort made to stop them chipping or is it not an issue?

Brother neevo when I am going to polish the fins on an engine I like to sand the fins down first before paint and then paint the head, I paint right over the edge of the fins and once the paint cures I lightly sand the edge of the fins with fine sand paper to remove the paint and then I finish polishing them. I have had good luck doing it this way and I can only remember chipping the paint on one edge however it is easy to repair the paint if that happens.

Cheers Joey for the tips on polishing the fins. Can I ask a final question?

What do you use to polish the fins before paint? Block and sandpaper, a file of something else?

neevo said:
Cheers Joey for the tips on polishing the fins. Can I ask a final question?

What do you use to polish the fins before paint? Block and sandpaper, a file of something else?

Yes Brother I just sand them with sand paper and a block before paint.

Here are some photos of a CB750 engine that I just finished. Sorry Brother Teazer the gentleman that owns this engine brought his own engine stand when he delivered the engine for building so it is not on one of my custom engine stands!

joeyputt said:
Brother quadracer351 the red paint that we used on the valve cover, oil filler cap, and the breather can was a automotive base with clear coat. The black and many of the other colors we use are VHT products and I have the part numbers for them listed on the very first post of this thread.

Brother neevo when I am going to polish the fins on an engine I like to sand the fins down first before paint and then paint the head, I paint right over the edge of the fins and once the paint cures I lightly sand the edge of the fins with fine sand paper to remove the paint and then I finish polishing them. I have had good luck doing it this way and I can only remember chipping the paint on one edge however it is easy to repair the paint if that happens.

It looks great, how would it hold up on jugs? I went out and bought a vht flame proof which is kind of a matte color but then I went it with a clear finish which gave it a glossy look. So I think I'm Gibb to go that route unless you suggest against it. Finally do you sand the fins after each coat or wait until the final coat is dry?

joeyputt said:
Here are some photos of a CB750 engine that I just finished. Sorry Brother Teazer the gentleman that owns this engine brought his own engine stand when he delivered the engine for building so it is not on one of my custom engine stands!

Sheeeeeeeeeeit.

Thank You Brothers! I know I say it a lot however all of your support truly means a lot to me!

I'm looking to paint my engine with vht paint but the primer and clear I have are just duplicolor engine paint. I know that the temperature thresholds for these are different but when I tested the three on an old flange it came out rather nice. However I don't know if once heated it'll have any negative effect, anyone have any experience, thoughts on this?

quad do not use 1200 on these motors it simply does not get hot enough in operation to cure the paint to a final cure and it will always be very very fragile and will chip like mad, use the 500* use a very light coat of primer, and then base coat it, i do not typically like to use the clear high temps as they just tend to flake, bleach, and chip... i did a full write up a while back on painting a motor if you want to search my name and that. let me know if i can help.... i like to use an engine cleaner, then non clorine brake cleaner to clean up the motors for paint, super easy and really works great

Back
Top Bottom