Cops: theyre cool as hell

ProSimex said:
"And if it involves arresting or fining you, you probably damn well earned it."

Thats a fucking ignorant thing to say. Anyways like I said I dont want to get into a pissing match. Ill go back to drooling over bikes and planning work on my own projects, thats what this forum is for. If anyone was offended by my comments then fine, I'm happy you get along well with law enforcment in your area, we sure dont here.

Ignorant my ass. That comes from experience. I've been arrested, and I've been ticketed, and yeah I earned it each time. I would have done the exact same thing to me in the cop's shoes.

Sounds like you're dealing with the classic rumor-mill gone wild. People always exaggerate and spice up stories. Couple that with the general idea that "pigs are scum" and you have a bunch of people running around, deathly afraid of 'the man'. I'm a firefighter- I've worked with police numerous times, and can't say I've met one who wasn't respectful and helpful.

...my little brother isn't scum, nor was my grandfather on my father's side. Nor is my neighbor Mike, the detective responsible for essentially castrating the Latin Kings in the Chicago and Aurora/Southwest Chicago Suburban area. THat man is 100% solid undiluted badass, and he's raising two wonderful children (EDIT: And he hides our big fireworks for us when the patrols are out on July 4th, as Illinois has a strict no-fun policy in effect). DOuchebags don't raise good kids.

So if you're going to get into what is and what isn't an ignorant thing to say... Well, suffice it to say perhaps you should try to steer clear of saying ignorant things, yourself.

Everyone always overgeneralized all the time about everything.

A more appropriate, and probably more accurate thing to say, would be "In Ottawa, every single cop *seems* to be an ass, because I have been in, and my close and trusted friends have been in, situations where they were inappropriately fined, harassed, and even beaten", as opposed to the rather asinine blanket statement you made.

So here's an idea:
Let's stop generalizing about stuff. No more blanket statements, no more us-versus-them.
It doesn't help anyone.

In my opinion, it's all about the situation. If you base your opinion of cops on the one time you were arrested, yeah, it'll probably be a shitty biased opinion. If you base it on meeting them thru working together, you're gonna have a lot nicer of an opinion.

Ringo said:
Ignorant my ass. That comes from experience. I've been arrested, and I've been ticketed, and yeah I earned it each time. I would have done the exact same thing to me in the cop's shoes.

Sounds like you're dealing with the classic rumor-mill gone wild. People always exaggerate and spice up stories. Couple that with the general idea that "pigs are scum" and you have a bunch of people running around, deathly afraid of 'the man'. I'm a firefighter- I've worked with police numerous times, and can't say I've met one who wasn't respectful and helpful.
+1

I was arrested for some 'immature' shit I did, and while being arrested, I was a smartass (note to anyone that isn't a dumbass like myself at the time: bad idea). That made the whole booking and processing hell. I didn't like those officers because they were smartasses too; and it was because they saw me as just another smartass and gave me it right back. I definitely deserved it all.

Now, I've been a firefighter for a while, working with many different cops, and they've pretty much all been cool guys. I won't say a statement about all cops, because that's impossible. Try to describe all the colors of the rainbow, using only one color. You can't do it!

Ok its not helpfull to generalise, I agree. The attitude that if you dont like cops you muct be a criminal is pretty iffy though. I've never once been arrested, and my tickets are limited to parking tickets. I hate being harrassed for walking down the street. The amount of times I've been stopped so they could seee if I've done anything wrong, to see if there are any outstanding warrents or fines is absurd.

So please dont assume Im some dumbass out causing trouble. My son just woke up so I gotta go change some diaper.

That's a bit ridiculous. Its not right if they're stopping you like that. Although possibly legal, that's gotta be annoying.
And I wasn't trying to call you a dumbass that's looking for trouble if that's what it seemed. Just telling my experience during different situations.

I was arrested at gun point when I was about 17, and I deserved it for being a stupid dumb moron.

Drove into the city from cottage country late late (as in 3AM) one night in order to buy concert tickets the next morning. Driving a 1976 Buick Skylark - would have been 1987 or so.

Anyhow - being stupid, I brought a pellet pistol into town to repair it, and had it on the front seat. Target pistol, CO2 powered, lead pellets.

Parked outside the mall where the ticket outlet was, and fell asleep in the front seat of the car. I woke up looking down the barrel of a shotgun to my right (came in through the passenger door) while to my left the other officer grabbed me and took me down to the parking lot.

Couple intense hours later I was let go. Got in to buy the concert tickets and found out they weren't going on sale that day unlike what the radio had said (this was of course LONG before the Internet or cellphones, if you can imagine that). Had to drive back out to cottage country where I was doing my summer job. Karma.

To this day I'm eternally grateful they were professional, patient, calm, and didn't blow my brains out all over the pristine interior of my '76 Skylark.

Lesson learned - don't do stupid shit. Now I just get lots of speeding tickets :)

im not too fond of cops, have had more bad experiences than good ones..

yeah they are normal people like you and me, but half of the normal people around are total dicks too if you give them a little bit of power..

Best "Good Cop" story I know happened to my father, last summer. I'd just bought my KZ650 a week before, had only taken it out a couple times. My dad liked to take it around the block, but never much further, since Chicago suburban traffic will kill ya. One day, as I was getting ready to go out, he takes the bike out. Ten minutes later, I'm in the car, on my way to pick up a lady friend, when I get a call:

"Peter, where are you?"

I'm on my way to the city, I tell him. Why?

"Oh, I got pulled over."

I put down the phone and curse to myself and tell him I'll call him back. I call my mother, and she's already on her way with his license.

That's right, Pops decided to take an uninsured, unregistered bike out, without any form of ID, which wouldn't have mattered since he's not M-endorsed. Went for a ride onto major, cop-going roads, and got pulled over for not wearing protective eyewear, which is mandatory in IL. That's like five strikes against him.

So it was a young cop, wasn't sure how to handle this fustercluck, when his old-school captain or something pulls up to see what's going on. Captain has words with my father, checks his ID (mom had arrived by then), and tells the young cop he'll handle it. The old cop had taken note of my father's heavy Sicilian accent and foreign sounding name.

"You're in luck Pop," he says. "I'm from the old country too. But this is not the island, you know! You need a license and papers to ride these things," he says, and they have a good laugh. Cop busts his balls for a few minutes more, and lets him off scott free.

I couldn't believe it, but my dad was extremely proud of it. ;D

MILKY said:
Hmmm... since you've met every cop on the planet, and found them all to be bastards... you ever consider maybe it's just you?

t71ford said:
You see, Chris is a bad, bad dude...

Some say... he can withstand temperatures of more than a thousand degrees.. and that even his gentleman sausage is made of top secret composites.... all we know is... HE'S CALLED RINGO.

tumblr_lna7r3NQ0R1qh2mpqo1_500.gif

I was arrested once. I was driving on an out of state suspended license (I ran a toll booth, and never received the ticket. That unpaid toll booth ticket snowballed into a suspended license). The arresting officer could not have been cooler. He cuffed me with my hands in front. Let me ride in the front seat. We had a nice conversation about married life, and living in the town of Frederick on the way to the local jail.

I took care of the suspended license, and all charges against me were dropped.

Ran into the Arresting Officer a couple of years later at a bar. I bought him a beer. Good Chap.

Back
Top Bottom