XS650 Solid State Electronic Ignition? I need opinions.

Rossicle

When in doubt - gun it!
Hey all! So, not to long ago I built a Yamaha TX/XS 650. After riding it for a while and having an issue with the right side cylinder not firing real well, my dad and I decided to try re-timing it.. Well now it runs worse!! I noticed that the points rod is a little loosy goosy and the points are sparking erratically. I just can't seem to get it back to where it was running well.

Instead of buying new points and rod and all that, I was thinking about going Solid state electronic ignition.

What are the DTT people's opinion? And do you know of a better place to get it than MikesXS? They seem to be out of stock for EVERYTHING I need! Plus, they have been pretty slow on delivering all they way to Boise, ID.

I'd love to hear your knowledge!

Thanks
-Ross

I am pretty sure mikesxs sells the pamco electronic ignition, but you can also get it straight from Pamco Pete. he is a regular on here: http://xs650temp.proboards.com. I haven't been on there in a while but he has quite a few write ups on ignitions and somewhere he has a link to his site where you can order direct from him.

He also has some write ups about making your own out of a baby food jar lid. Lots of good info on there, all xs650 specific.

I will go with Pamco the next time. I bought a Boyer-Branson set up from 650 Central for my last project and it works well.

Ended up buy a Pamco kit from Mike's XS with a dual output coil.. Takes forever to ship from Florida to Boise by ground, FYI! But the ignition is working great!! First time I tried to kick it over, the engine fired before I was half way through the kick! Very pleased. Clocked over 150 miles the following two days.

Cool, I was thinking about doing this myself. Are you doing the banshee swap? That's also on my list, my charging system is fried.

Honestly, I hadn't heard about the Banshee Swap. But from what I just read online, It looks great! Good to know there is a cheap solution! Cause I'll probably need it at some point this year. As for the Ignition, if you're having any trouble with your points at all.. Do it! Made a world of difference. Worth the money, no doubt.

My PAMCO just burned off, and Pete has already shipped me a new one (US -> Europe).

I had the insulation of the three wires crack where they exit the grey outer insulation. So check that you have a soft transition and put in a 7,5AMP fuse. That's my advice.

Back
Top Bottom