Heat & plastic body parts

ridesolo

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have some painted parts I've been heat curing and have more to do. Most are metal, but there are a couple of plastic pieces, OEM fenders, that I'd like to do as well. Does anybody have knowledge or experience with how much heat parts like that will handle? It'll only be 200 degrees for an hour or so and I know injection molded plastic is formed at far higher temps than that, but I don't want to damage the things.

I do have a good sized piece left from some "surgery" and I can easily apply some paint and try it out but I thought I'd see if there is any actual experience out there.

Depends on the type of plastic. It will more than likely be ABS, which gets rubbery around 220f

Brodie said:
Depends on the type of plastic. It will more than likely be ABS, which gets rubbery around 220f

Thanx! I will go ahead and set up a test on my scrap. When I made the cuts on the modified piece I had originally left a tab with the intent to heat and bend it and then use the bent end as part of the mounting bracketry. I kept very decent heat applied to it for a very long time with absolutely no affect whatsoever. I'm very sure I won't end up w/ a puddle of melted plastic n paint, but, obviously, even a little bit of deformity wouldn't be good. (Now, I sure hope I didn't throw out that scrap in a rare fit of neatness!)

Yep, glass transition for ABS is 221°F. Depends on how thick it is, how long it will take to phase change. It's a temp and rate thing. Regardless, I wouldn't push it more than 180°.

Even at 200° I wouldn't want ABS in the oven for an hour. I know at 350, the lowest temp to cure powder, the part ended up in a puddle on the oven floor in about 3 minutes. A test would be mandatory. I think at anything near 200 the part will start to warp or deform in a short time. I wouldn't chance it and just let it air cure for however long is needed.

Back
Top Bottom