Honda NX650 Dommie

Bons

Hey all!

I know I haven't really really finished my cb200 yet, but i stumbled upon this beautyful 1989 Honda NX 650 Dominator on Marktplaats (Dutch craigslist ;) ) for a really good price. :D And since i was looking for something a 'little bit' bigger for the future, next to my 200, this seemed the perfect opportunity.

Since i had to work all the time, Bert picked it up for me. Didnt fit in the car in one piece so i got it as a pile of parts :)
The previous owner took extreme good care for it, everything looked great! Almost sad to take it apart, but i know for sure this bike will even be prettier when it is ready!

The engine was running and all the electronics were working too, yay!. A working engine was a must this time, since i wanted to do more myself on this bike instead of letting Bert do the hard stuff. And fixing engines isnt exactly one of specialities yet :p

This is the bike still in one piece, the previous owner missed some parts like the seat and the exhaust dampers, not a problem cause they were gonna be replaced anyway:

IMG_1681.jpg

Fits like a charm:

IMG_1684.jpg

The first thing was to take it apart even further, which i did, and the difference between 'go' and 'stay'-pile is huge. All the plastic has to go obviously, but i'm sure somebody else on Marktplaats has a good purpose for it.

IMG_1691.jpg

And what we got now:

Frame, fork, engine, wheels, and a small crate of parts.

Schermafbeelding2013-02-12om133836.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-12om133850.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-12om133859.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-12om133910.png

IMG_1701.jpg

Here is a list of plans for now:

- A smaller front-wheel (maybe 18"? don't know exactly yet)
- Chop the subframe just the way we did on the 200 and create a nice hoop and flat seat.
- New cockpit
- Find a pretty fueltank
- Paint and powdercoat the whole thing.
- Some 'small other stuff i don't know yet'

I really love the fact that this bike is technically perfect, so most of the work is purely cosmetic. Hopefully this makes this project a quickie so i can ride it this summer.

We recently moved to a smaller but nicer workshop, close to our home and just big enough. Take a look:

IMG_1704.jpg

Schermafbeelding2013-02-12om133928.png

That's it for now, more updates soon...
Bye!
Jene.

Re: Honda NX650 Dominatrix!

That's a pretty wild looking bike from the start... If its anything like [the quality of] your CB it'll be sweet.

If you haven't seen this guys work yet check out Andrew Greenlands NX650. This guys has done like 4 or 5 of these and has a blog that has some good info on how he made his. Kiddo motors did a sweet one as well.

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-nx650-dominator

CRD have done a couple as well, but that Kiddo motors one is my favourite

crd-23_2_detalle.jpg

img_4624_detalle.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

Ease said:
That's a pretty wild looking bike from the start... If its anything like [the quality of] your CB it'll be sweet.

Yes, i've seen some of those inspiration pics, and i think they all look great! Not so much to find about these NX- trackers in comparison to the old cb's though, but maybe that forces a person to use more imagination of their own :D

Sign me up for this one! I love your other bike, so I'm sure I'll enjoy watching this one!

Signed up. Your 200 turned out great, can;t wait to see what you do with this one.

Today we chopped of the subframe, it had way too much nooks and crannies and bumps and stuff going on, so that part has to be replaced for a nice and clean tube and hoop.

Took some effort since the flex broke last week, but this was the result, after doing it all manually:

image-6.jpeg

After that, building it up again...

image-3.jpeg

I don't really like the huge 21" front rim on this bike so i tried some other rim/wheel sizes.
At this moment, i think i will keep the 17" in the back and the front rim is gonna be a 18" one with a big tire.
For this picture we used an old 18" wheel, with a small tire though. I like the size of the rim. The other pic shows how a bigger 18" tire will look like.

image-5.jpeg

image-7.jpeg

I bought a gastank as well, just a random pick on marktplaats, and i have no idea how it is gonna look on this machine. Maybe it'll turn out awesome, maybe i'll have to sell it again. You never know, but the only thing to find out is to try. I've tried all the tanks laying around in the workshop, and as far as i know now, the cb750 is way to big, the cb125 way too small and the cb500 is too long as well.

This one is from a Suzuki 1983 DR500. Mailman will deliver it tuesday...Can't wait to try it :)
Looks a bit rough but for 20 bucks, i thought i'd take the chance.

Schermafbeelding2013-02-17om222607.png

That's it for today.
Bye!

Looks like an interesting build. That Zuki tank needs a bit of dent work done by the looks.
Will be good to see more. Any plan for the colour scheme yet?

I haven't decided on the colours yet, i only know i will keep the colour of the frame quite basic and probably a dark colour, since this isn't the prettiest frame in my opinion.
It looks great as a whole, but has a lot of funny holes and gaps and things going on and i really don't want to emphasize them. In a darker colour, it will look more 'clean' i guess.

For today, a big update!

Got the Suzuki tank last week. Yeah, it looks pretty rough and dented, but i think it will be fine in the end. The big question is: will it fit and if it does, will it look good?

Well, it almost fitted. Needed to make and extra dent at the bottom and the petcock needs to get a different position. Some old knobs for the old tank needed to be removed, but after that, it fitted well.

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om004028.png

And the second part: does it look good? It's always a matter of taste, but actually, i quite like it! A bit small, but not too small i think. Since i'm a sucker for symmetry in lines, i like the fact that the angle of the steerertube is the same one as the angle of the tank. Lucky me haha 8)

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om004153.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om004213.png

The position of the tank is not exactly how it will be, it just lays on top of the frame now.

I have been very busy with smoothing and grinding and sanding the frame. One thing i have learned from my 200: all your laziness when it comes to sanding and grinding will absolutely show once everything is powdercoated. This time, i tried to do a better job... :)

706c0721-625e-42c5-9e0f-5417f886f831.jpg

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om004013.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om004052.png

Went to the hardwarestore today and bought some 22mm pipes for the subframe.
And decided we might just get it done right away. First idea was just to stick the tube into the old hole, weld a horizontal on top of it, add a hoop and ready to go. But somehow it looked weird, "diy" but not in the right way.
Diagonal pipe is just random positioned here, but you get the idea.

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003441.png

I figured some bending would do a lot. I'm very happy with the result. The curves fit the frame well i think. Straight pipes wouldn;t fit in. Triangular bits for strenght in the corners are still to come.

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003501.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003516.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003531.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003542.png

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003555.png

All the credits for welding go to Bert!

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003621.png

And here a quick mockup how this one would look with a "seat":

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003711.png

One thing that scares me a bit: its is gonna be big..., my feet can barely touch the ground. Ah well, curbside stops only i guess ;D

Schermafbeelding2013-02-24om003730.png

The hoop is still to come, but for now i'm happy how this all turned out. Tomorrow, i will pick up a new (old ofourse :p) 18" front rim with the right amount of spokes, a good thing since there seem to be not many of them around here for little money ;).

I'll keep you all updated!

Jene

This will be interesting I liked your last build. Do you loan bert out? I could use a bert of my own.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

scrambledpegs said:
This will be interesting I liked your last build. Do you loan bert out? I could use a bert of my own.

Sure! What's ya want?

scrambledpegs said:
Well im in Australia do you pay for your own transport?

Sure, but my hour rate is a bit steep then ;)

We are in! Congrats on BOTM nomination for the CB. Inspirational!

any updates with this thing?? looks like it's gonna be a fun ride when all said and done. and don't worry, once it's off the stand, the suspension will sag and your feet will touch the ground just fine :)

Back
Top Bottom