Urban warrior CB750 build (It's alive!)

my-79-750-k

Therapy is expensive. Riding is cheap. You decide.
OK, so when I got the 750, it wasn't exactly a rust bucket or a frame with a box of parts. It actually ran, although kinda choppy. Got her home, went over her, tuned up the usual things and then stepped back. I knew I had a lot to do but didn't know how to do a lot. Joined up on DTT and started asking question after question. As of right now, we're at the "runs good enough for daily driving, but looks like hell stage". Here's a couple quick pics from today. Did a little work over the weekend and today.

Dropped the clip-ons down in between the triple tree mounts, took the primary cover off and polished it up, re-adjusted chain (finally), trued the front wheel (let me tell you how much fun that was...), bled the brakes, adjusted rear brake, and re-routed clutch/throttle/choke/brake/speedo and tach lines for new clip-on placement. If anyone wants some tips on truing up spoke wheels, ask someone else, I don't ever want to relive that fiasco.

Re: CB750 Cafe build

Ha! They're not THAT bad! Granted, I don't invite all my friends over for a truing wheels party, but still.....

Can we get an overall pic?

This is what I started with, I know it's not much different now, I don't want to take it apart and do paint and all that until the winter when I wouldn't be riding much anyway. I haven't been able to ride it much this summer, so I'm trying to get all the riding in I can now.

Oh, and about the wheels. It's hard enough trying to figure out which spokes move the wheel which way, but when the hoop has dents in it and the chrome is pitted, causing the dial to jump all over when your trying to get it within .010", yeah, it's THAT bad... Haha!

You and I have the exact same bike..

Have anymore pics of the front? I'm thinking about running clip ons on the top of the tree as well.

I like that i'm seeing more and more dohc's up here. Yours looks good, I like the seat, i'm gonna guess that its home brew?, if so its even better, i'll be doing homebrew on my 900. Question, how well does it run with the pods, i've heard cv carbs don't really like them(guessing the 750k's came with cv's)

Gray

Good to see some more Dohc 750's on here! I'll be staying tuned to this build for sure. Oh, and maybe im a glutton for punishment, but I kinda enjoyed truing my sohc 750's wheels. I dunno why, just seemed fun.

Well done for doing the wheels. I takes a while to get your brain around it, but as you get the experience it gets easier and faster.

Just for future reference, try not to use a dial gauge next time. They are enough to drive a man to drink. Besides the rim will always have dings in it and where the ends are butt welded there's typically a huge jog (on aluminum rims at least). 1mm is close enough on rims.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! The carbs ran a bit lean with the pods, the shop said they had to up one of the jets (can't remember which one). but it does run good now, no holes in the acceleration. The clip-ons were up top, but I switched them to the lower position and love 'em. I don't have a pic of the front right this second, but I'll be back at the house Friday and I'll get one then. I'm looking forward to seeing some other 750's up here in the build threads, always up for sharing some cool ideas and tricks.
The seat is a homebrew, but not my home. It came like that when I bought it. A new Carbon Fiber over Fiberglass seat is going on when I get some time to build it. It's not that comfy right now, but it's rideable.

OK, well now that I'm back in town, I snapped a few pics of the front end for those that wanted to see my clip-ons. Here ya go.

i have a feeling you and i are goin to do alot of talking and idea sharing. good to see another dohc on here

Thanks. Took her out for a ride this afternoon for about an hour. Ran good, one float still isn't adjusted right, fuel drains when I come to idle or shut it off. Gonna get that checked out sometime in the near future, but for now, got a fuel line clamped to it and routed to the ground so it won't drip down on the engine case. Just gotta remember to shut the petcock off whenever I shut the bike off. Poker run is tomorrow so we'll see how it does after about 130 miles or so.

The bike that got me started down this long, long road was an 81 750K (I had other, older bikes prior, this one got me into cafes etc) frame is fucked all for making look good lines. Benji has some stuff though.

Wheel truing is more art than science for sure. every half turn in one direction requires 2 quarter turns in the other. Repeat, repeat, repeat...

No pics, but more to add to my list of shit to fix: SEAT!!! My god, my ass feels like someone beat it with a bat. 170ish miles, about 80 highway, hands are numb from the buzz of the engine, ass is sore from the 1/2" foam pad with no side covers I call a seat and my wrist feels like it's broke from leaning on the bars. Once I get 5 minutes to work on it, a new seat is going on before anything else.

Got the neoprene, got the foam, got the fiberglass mat, waiting on the CF for the outer layer and gotta bring home a 4 inch grinder from work. Gonna cut the rear inner fender down, knock out the cross brace in the tail and mount a new one thats flat instead of raised, then I can make the bottom of the seat lower and stretch the seat area back about 3 more inches. Hoping it comes out alright. Once I start, I'll take some pics from start to finish, might be a little while though. Work is hectic and the garage looks like a demilitarized zone.

OK, time for an update:
New issue has arisen. Easily fixed, but oil is now spewing out of the tach cable inlet in the valve cover, pretty much covering the entire front of the engine in a coat of oil. See pics below. Seat still isn't done, but it's in the final planning and drawing stages now. Finally got all the parts to make it, just need the time and space, so that's on the docket for this week. Haven't worked on it much lately, been too busy trying to get in a few late season rides before it gets too cold!

See all the oil on the fins?
HPIM2752.jpg

Tach cable is loose in the inlet tube, gonna try some o-rings to tighten it up.
HPIM2748.jpg

Oh yeah, I finally learned how to post images inside the text box... It's about time...

OK! It's been a while, but I finally took the initiative and did some work tonight. Wife was out with the girls so I stayed home and quenched my thirst while working on the teardown. Got A LOT done in only 2 hours. Engine is pretty much ready to come out now. Wiring harness is disconnected from frame, all my cables and hoses are off, all linkages are off, carbs are off, battery box is out, inner fender is out, blah blah blah. Tomorrow, engine WILL be on the floor, and the frame will be ready, by the end of the day, to go to the shop so I can sandblast it. Hopefully I'll get better at updating this more often.
Backyard chop job wiring the PO did to tie in a LED lic. plate light
HPIM2767.jpg

Tank is finally off!
HPIM2766.jpg

Carbs are on da floor.
HPIM2770.jpg

Inner fender, next stop trash can...
HPIM2763.jpg

When I saw this, I kinda threw up in my mouth a little. But pics help!
HPIM2760.jpg

Finally! Got that damn bracket for the stock seat out of my way. Now to organize the garage so i can get some real work done.
HPIM2773.jpg

You're in FL aren't you? So you got your bike to run. What did you use for a truing stand? Im gonna have to lace some wheels soon. So i was curious what you used. Looks good with the clip ons.

Back
Top Bottom