Paint for shock springs?

Urban Monk

Does anyone have a suggestion for rattle can paint that is flexible enough to use on shock springs? Powder coating doesn't fit my budget. I searched and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Slide a length of electricians heat shrink sleeving over it and go at it with a hot air gun. It won't ever chip or flake and comes in a variety of colours, is easy, and very cheap.

From my admittedly limited experience, if the spring gets roughed up or blasted properly, even rattle can paint can cling without cracking. On my project bike the PO had painted the stock chrome rear shocks a disgusting rattle can blue, and I'll be darned if that nasty paint didn't hold up... Now it still has the issue of lack of chip resistance, so it's obviously an inferior option, but I would venture a guess that an epoxy paint or other durable coating will hold up alright on your shocks.
But I have been wrong in my guesses before, and surely will be again.

Drey6 said:
Appliance epoxy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This works great for black. Have you asked around for prices on PC yet? For just some springs I'd bet you could get it done for next to nothing.

That's where the harbor freight pc gun comes in handy, and a cheap toaster oven or oven in the shop. I do all my small parts with it and it's better than paint imo

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like I've got options to explore. I set my mind to doing this project on a reasonable budget (mostly for the challenge of it) and I'm trying to keep from owning every tool ever conceived (too much clutter). Since shocks are easily removed I feel it is one area where I can afford to experiment with the cheap option and redo later if it fails. I'll explore Plasti-dip color options as well as appliance paint. The stock black color on them now is in ok shape. I was hoping to add a little color, provided something tasteful is available. Thanks!

I've never seen anything that was spray PlastiDipped look good after 30 days. It's a good thing it is "semi" easy to remove.

This stuff is really tough and I use it a lot on stuff I want to withstand to crap
https://duplicolor.com/product/hi-build-fleet-coating

firebane said:
This stuff is really tough and I use it a lot on stuff I want to withstand to crap
https://duplicolor.com/product/hi-build-fleet-coating

Thanks! I'll see if I can find at Orchard or one of the local auto parts stores.

Back
Top Bottom