Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk(ish) Bobber Thing

Re: Take 2: CB750K2 Steampunk Bobber Thing

Pretty amazing stuff eh? I believe they're actually humans behind the keyboards, but it's getting hard to tell... imagine if we actually acted like that in real life...

So, a very small update, got to start pulling a few bits apart to see what I've actually got:

IMG_2063_zpsdc57f40f.JPG

Yep, that oil would be from the stripped oil drain bolt. Like just about every other bolt I've found so far...
IMG_2080_zps04d6e76b.JPG

IMG_2052_zpsbad78afb.JPG

Yeah, that frame seems legit.
IMG_2053_zpsc4db6277.JPG

Who needs indicators? Stick your arm/foot/appendageofyourchoice out like a real man!
IMG_2059_zps55d5747b.JPG

At least I got the original fenders and covers and badges and stuff, those things are hard to come by... I might mail 'em off to Terry, he likes that kind of thing... ;)

Mail them to Terry with a bunch of fucking dents in them. ;D

So it turns out Honda actually do odd-looking 9s on their frames instead of upside down 6s! Good to know, looked like someone had 'repurposed' a "1". SOHC4 scores a win!

So not a whole bunch to report as yet (apart from being up to 21 pages of drivel on SOHC4.net!), just slowly whittling away at small things I can do without a proper workshop. Pulled the wheels apart on the weekend, I think my rims may be due for replacement:

_MG_0548.jpg

_MG_0554.jpg

Though the rusted out spokes gave me a cool idea. I was planning on powder-coating or painting the new spokes black, but now I'm thinking a light surface coating of rust, then hit it with some Penetrol, will look better and suit the "patina" theme of the bike.

_MG_0559.jpg

I'm also trying to track down a suitable vintage style white wall, and it looks like Shinko make the e270 in 19", but only in 4.00 wide. Not entirely sure it'll fit on the CB750 front end, but I'm hopeful! Defintely getting a bit too wide for a 1.85 rim though. So I'm now looking to see if I can find a 19x2.15x40H rim. Not an easy task it seems! Have put some feelers out to see what I can come up with, failing that I'll probably end up going with the same tyres that are on Isabel which are actually much better tyres... but it's not like I'll be getting my knee down on this bike anytime soon!

Subscribed to build, I've been waiting for all the haters to be finished.

but could you make it steam punk cool and a good rideable motorcycle as well
that vision you show would be a pos to ride
why does it need to be a copy cat,silly low seat, zero suspension bobber ?
they are so common, any idiot can build that ::)
or you don't care about creative function ? hmmm ?

Djfob said:
Subscribed to build, I've been waiting for all the haters to be finished.

You could have been waiting forever... glad to see you on board!

I've also been playing with gauge face designs, and tea/red wine/balsamic-staining. Or what my girlfriend refers to as "doing craft".

_MG_0564.jpg

_MG_0565.jpg

xb33bsa said:
but could you make it steam punk cool and a good rideable motorcycle as well

Sure.

_MG_5179.jpg

I ride it most days.

i like it :D
the vision you have for the 750, sucks,function-wise
i mean really ??? a low seat bobber ?

xb33bsa said:
i like it :D
the vision you have for the 750, sucks,function-wise
i mean really ??? a low seat bobber ?

a) Glad to hear it.
b) It'll have wheels and an engine, they'll be attached to one-another, it should get the job done.
c) Yes. What would be the point in doing the same thing all over again?

Noddy78 said:
a) Glad to hear it.
b) It'll have wheels and an engine, they'll be attached to one-another, it should get the job done.
c) Yes. What would be the point in doing the same thing all over again?

but indeed you will be copying a sickeningly common, poorly functioning design

xb33bsa said:
but indeed you will be copying a sickeningly common, poorly functioning design

I mean...that's every cruiser ever made. They're real popular.

Tremelune said:
I mean...that's every cruiser ever made. They're real popular.
the average american motorcycle rider wouldn't know a good functioning motorcycle if you ran over them with it
i was more reffering to a total lack of suspension with a "slammed" look
it looks like something a gang bangin' crank smoker would build and is so overdone, because like i said, any idiot can build one
dont get me wrong i think the steampunk fashion cues are pretty cool but what he has envisioned is not very creative and would be a poorly functioning motorcycle
i could see doing a steampunk on a chassis designed around an earles type front and a plunger rear ,this would really open up the canvas :) and with some creative engineering could also function quite well

Build it man. I've been trying to get through your thread on SOHC4. Hilarious.

xb33bsa said:
because like i said, any idiot can build one

Let's try not to let this thread descend into another SOHC4 arrangement shall we? That's cool, you don't like the style, I agree, it's not hugely 'functional', but that's not why I'm doing it. And I doubt any idiot can build what I'm planning, but maybe they can... and good luck to them too if they can! I'm learning how to weld, braze, form metal to build a tank (who knows if that will come off), veneer and various other skills that will help me build various different bikes (and various other objects) in the future. This is the one I've chosen to do this time. The next one might be different. Your objections are duly noted, but it's not going to change anything, so if it's not for you, move on. Easy.

Oooo, fun things in the mail...

_MG_0583.jpg

_MG_0587.jpg

The second one has already been pretty bastardised by someone, so I'm going to have to learn to un-braze too...

Sweet mother of God, what is up with all of the "no, don't destroy that precious SOHC 750 angel/holy grail/gift from the heavens"? Those SOHC4 boys are a bit touched in the head...

As for the question of functionality, that's purely relative. A brand new Goldwing has awful functionality...as a race bike. Point being, if certain things are done to a bike that hurts it's functionality, that's not really a problem as long as it's not meant to do those things anyway. So Noddy, if you plan on cross country trips with this build, then the hardtail probably isn't the best idea ;D.

Can't say that steampunk is my most favorite thing ever, but from your concept picture, and seeing the result of your first build, I think it'll look good when it's all said and done. Have a blast with it......

...and maybe post a video of all the unused stock stuff being burned and beaten over at SOHC...(not that I'm a vindictive type of person or anything)...

83cb650sc said:
Sweet mother of God, what is up with all of the "no, don't destroy that precious SOHC 750 angel/holy grail/gift from the heavens"? Those SOHC4 boys are a bit touched in the head...

I especially liked the bit where Terry suggests I should do this to a much rarer, older British or American bike... geez, imagine the shit-storm if this is the response I get for doing it to a Honda!

So, if I can't do too much building, I CAN do shopping...

So, a nice vintage Italian Ducati 19x2.15 40H I picked up from a bloke in Melbourne for $30...
IMG_1290.jpg

PLUS a 16x3.00 Harley rear:
IMG_1291.jpg

EQUALS vintage whitewall goodness:
IMG_1295.jpg

Add in the obligatory new bearings and brakes:
IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

And get the lot ready to send out for powdercoating:
IMG_1306.jpg

I've also got a spoke sitting in a bucket of vinegar out the back that's got the chrome flaking off already (gotta love cheap spokes) ready to try a rust-patina'ed effect. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Noddy78 said:
I especially liked the bit where Terry suggests I should do this to a much rarer, older British or American bike... geez, imagine the shit-storm if this is the response I get for doing it to a Honda!

So, if I can't do too much building, I CAN do shopping...

So, a nice vintage Italian Ducati 19x2.15 40H I picked up from a bloke in Melbourne for $30...
IMG_1290_zpse3d0484f.jpg

PLUS a 16x3.00 Harley rear:
IMG_1291_zps82531b5f.jpg

EQUALS vintage whitewall goodness:
IMG_1295_zpsed54da49.jpg

Add in the obligatory new bearings and brakes:
IMG_1297_zps7f610ff5.jpg

IMG_1298_zpscb08d294.jpg

And get the lot ready to send out for powdercoating:
IMG_1306_zps84b2bfee.jpg

I've also got a spoke sitting in a bucket of vinegar out the back that's got the chrome flaking off already (gotta love cheap spokes) ready to try a rust-patina'ed effect. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

your reply (paraphrase) "its not as if customizing motorbikes will ever catch on" ha ha ha... mind you i kinda see his point about using a cheaper older brit bike.. like a villiers excelsior maybe?! i dunno i love your vision what ever bike you use.. seems like terry may have read up on steampunk and decided that a jap bike didnt fit the mould.

Well, I did say it was going to take a while... but slow progress is still progress....

Rebuilt the carbs, painted, polished and velocity-stacked:

IMG_2891.jpg

Un-fucked what will be the tail-light and found some replacement pieces to make it (mostly) whole again (just the beginning of finding plumbing bits to recycle... Terry will love it):

IMG_2914.jpg

Rims and hubs back from the powder-coaters, done in "Sahara Black", looks like iron, I love it:

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

And messed around with the rusting spokes idea. Colour-wise worked really well, unfortunately the sealer just makes them too shiny and is not particularly hard-wearing, so with that and the fact that the Radaelli wheel requires shorter spokes than the original means the test-spokes are pretty-much useless. But, worth a try. So I've since got some SS custom spokes made up and just thinking of other options for dulling them off suitably. Someone suggested Copper-plating them, and I think that's probably the next path do investigate, but I can't imagine an electroplater being too chuffed about plating 80 spokes...

IMG_2933.jpg

Aaanyway, still no garage, but plodding along with what I can...

Back
Top Bottom