1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - update march 31

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - Tach and Speedo Shakers part 2

3 weeks of someone being sick in the family really drags out the progress. Anyways sat down to watch Hurt Locker and managed to get some things done

Trimming down the height
DSC08074.jpg

Tabs that will be the seat for the glass window.
DSC08076.jpg

Outline of the opening of the viewing window
DSC08077.jpg

Mockup faces - just to get the size and placement right
DSC08079.jpg

Comparison Shot
DSC08080.jpg

Now just need to get the lid completed. I'll be doing a bottom mount as well I've got a frosted ring with LED to be put inside before everything gets locked down. The frosted ring is for illumination at night. Kinda like bmw halo eyes. it won't be visible but (hopefully) will provide some decent light. not that it matters ;)

More to come later

Jay

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - Tail Section Need help with direction

About to start with the rear hoop and the tail section, just looking for feedback on a couple of ideas. for the tail section
Seat 1
DSCF1988-copy.jpg

Seat 2
DSCF1988-seat-2.jpg

Seat 3
DSCF1988-seat-3.jpg

Seat 4
DSCF1988-seat-4.jpg

I'm feeling number 1 that way I can have a smaller hump, with the plate up over the wheel. Hand out the feedback please and don't worry about the color, that will all change.

Looks great man, I have to go with seat 1.

I am normally not a fan of the tiny hump seats, but for some reason I like the rendering on seat 4. I think it fits the shape of the bike and the lines flow well. This rendering and loudbike are the only tiny hump seats that I can say I truely like.

Shoot youre not gonna get much advice when all four options you give us to choose look the part. If i had to choose I'd go with 1,3,and 4 Any one of those three look great. I like the upsweep of #1 It looks pretty racy. Keep it up.

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo -Getto Sandblast cabinet

troybilt said:
You are coming right along man. You are innovative man and that is way cool. All you innovative guys inspire me (listing in Twisted?? ;D) Saltshaker is cool and so is the cabinet. Wonder if you can line it with something to help extend its life??
Anyhow, I dig the sketches. Was that a gas gauge on the side of one of the tanks?? I like that alot. I think I can see some
Cresent inspiration going on. Sweet man keep at it!

Spray the whole inside with truck bed liner. That might hold up a little longer than just the bare plywood.

Thanks for the votes fellas on the bikes, so glad that a cohesive decision is coming around on the seat. LOL. Joe, seems to me that kinda dig the low seat. (your build). I was going for number one, mostly because it deals with the license plate well but the 4 concept has kinda been working on me lately. Long low, and with a small hump, enough to catch my butt when I hit it is the direction I might take.

Looking back through the replies it looks like what I had my tach and speedo balanced on is getting confused as part of the build. I was cutting out some paper on a wooden cutting board and the end threaded male connector sticks out from the bottom of the gauges made it necessary for support for the pics. I've got no plans for any natural materials to be involved in this build.

id have to go with seat 1.... never liked variations on the standard seat bump... but it just looks right on this bike.

or seat 4, but larger. but 1 is totally original and sick. not to mention easy tail light placement!

Re: 1979 CB650 Cafe Redo - Tail Section - Direction chosen

Managed to get some things done, thanks for the votes on the seat, I went with the first one. I liked the lines of it, plus I needed a place to hide the taillight and license plate above the wheel.

I did a few cardboard profiles to get the right shape.

Next was a plywood wood mockup with ribs that will give the actual look of the unit. This will be come the base for my mold.

DSC081571.jpg

I was going to try to hammer a metal hump but I've decided to go with fiberglass as I've done that before and I'm under the gun to get this bike finished. So to fill in the spaces I've used a combination of pink Styrofoam and spray foam. Kinda looks like a fat ugly cake.

DSC081621.jpg

With a bread knife, surform (autobody cheese grater), and some sandpaper I sculpt the mold into shape. And I've almost got my mig welder working. Very excited about that. More to come

DSC081731.jpg

DSC08174.jpg

It was wrapped in packing tape then I laid down my patterns of fiberglass on it. A trick from one of the guys at a http://www.fiberglassforums.com I go to lays out his fiberglass dry and keeps the layers in place using spray adhesive before he wets it out. That's as far as I made it this time. This will be my fiberglass mold for the final hump.

DSC081761.jpg

I also managed to drill out my brakes. Luckily I've got a drill press. Use cobalt bits. Didn't break any. Plus I used cutting fluid as well.

DSC08158.jpg

DSC08160.jpg

DSC08177.jpg

I've got metal tabs to weld to the frame for mounts and some extra bracing, but time is not on my side. argh.

It still amazes me how much a guy can do with a drill press. Good work.

How did you lay the holes out evenly? I see the paper template but, how did they end up so evenly spaced?

I did the hole layout in Solidworks then printed onto 2 - 8 1/2"x 11 sheets of paper. So if anyone wants a copy of this pattern or a different one let me know I'll flip you a pdf that you can print. I'll need your outer and inner dimension of the brake rotor and a rough sketch of your hole pattern.
Maybe we'll start a collection of down loadable patterns for the gang.

But cobalt bits are the stuff. Expensive, one bit is around 5 bucks for the 1/8" and around $7 for the 7/16" but I didn't sharpen once and didn't break one so in that sense really affordable. Bought mine at Canadian Tire.

jay_kent said:
Maybe we'll start a collection of down loadable patterns for the gang.

This is a great idea! I know some people, like myself, who do not use or know solidworks.... So having things like this available would be awesome

Wow! Damn you got a ton of shit done quick! Looking great too! I would love to have that pdf, I will PM you some info on my disk size if you could fix me up with a printable spacer template! That would kick ass! Great stuff you've done here bro!

tWistedWheelz said:
Wow! Damn you got a ton of shit done quick! Looking great too! I would love to have that pdf, I will PM you some info on my disk size if you could fix me up with a printable spacer template! That would kick ass! Great stuff you've done here bro!
No prob twisted, just tell me what bike its from and that way we can keep things organized. Any pattern too, Thanks for the props.

This bike isn't going as fast as I'd like It's supposed to be done next month so I've got to hustle. New superbright wide angle LED came in today, I'll be using them for license plate illumination as well as the gauges.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it. If you think I'm messing about somewhere let me know. Sometimes I take the easy route because, well, it's easier even though I know it could be done better and having your comments and feedback makes me push harder to do it right. More work now but better satisfaction later.

Plus this weekend I'll be trying out my new mig and getting some practice before I start hitting on the frame for its parts.

Wow Jay! Great job on that seat mock up! I never thought of doing the glass that way, but I had a "doh" moment when I saw it. That's a great idea. That's a really cool service you're offering for the brake rotors too man. Awesome.

I really like the direction you are taking this. Very creative. I think seat #1 was the correct choice and you have to keep that green. I love that color.

Spray gluing all of the fiberglass patterns down on the mold before wetting out worked the charm. Nothing moved and it took so little time to get the resin on. Only about 10 minutes to soak everything down.

While my dad and brother were at the shop tonight, I had them help me layout the location for my rearsets. I'm using the original passenger pegs plus i'm blatantly ripping off hillsy's (I think) aluminum rearset ideas. So anyone is free to take what they want from me. Except the bike ;)

Jay

Back
Top Bottom